advertisement

New Pioneer Direct Drive Turntable

I'd guess that this will be rather popular if it actually matches the quality of the Technics unlike a lot of the cheap knock-offs that are freely available.

It is interesting that Pioneer seem to think that there is money in doing this when Panasonic/Technics don't. You'd have to assume that the Technics would be even more successful if re-introduced.

The surprising and encouraging thing is it actually weighs 2kg more than the SL-1200 at 13.1kg, so looks like it might be rather well made. I wonder if it has a nice cast-alloy chassis like the 1200? Most of the clones are just cheap plastic tat. Pioneer made some very nice turntables in their heyday, so the knowledge and ability should be there even if it's been lying dormant for several decades.

W&F seems a touch high - I presume this is a made for Pioneer rather than a made in house job.

Ive just bought a Pioneer PLC590 and a SME3009 mk2 hoping that is going to sound as good as my 401?

Alan[/QUOTE]

Nope it won't, only because it is called Pioneer PLC 590 and NOT Garrard 401, do a blind test and discuss your findings, should make for an very interesting post.

The surprising and encouraging thing is it actually weighs 2kg more than the SL-1200 at 13.1kg, so looks like it might be rather well made. I wonder if it has a nice cast-alloy chassis like the 1200? Most of the clones are just cheap plastic tat. Pioneer made some very nice turntables in their heyday, so the knowledge and ability should be there even if it's been lying dormant for several decades.

Or it might just be heavy because it's got a lump of metal stuck in the bottom (like the Audio Technica AT-LP120).

Frankly, it looks to me like just another Hanpin Super OEM clone. Sadly, there's a difference between a "new Pioneer turntable" and a "new turntable with the Pioneer name on it".

Dear All,

looks like all the other ones eg Reloop, Audio Technica, Ariston etc etc. There are about 10 different makes and they are all made in the same factory in China. usually cost between 200 and 550 quid depending on the arm used and the quality of the plinth. Also some weigh about 13kg the crappier ones about 6kg.

I wonder if it will be any good or even much better than the Audio Technica and Stanton top models

David

Dear All,

looks like all the other ones eg Reloop, Audio Technica, Ariston etc etc. There are about 10 different makes and they are all made in the same factory in China. usually cost between 200 and 550 quid depending on the arm used and the quality of the plinth. Also some weigh about 13kg the crappier ones about 6kg.

I wonder if it will be any good or even much better than the Audio Technica and Stanton top models

David

It would be a great shame if that was the case, but I can see where you are coming from looking at the tech specs...

I can't for the life of me understand why Technics stopped making the SL-1200. There is clearly still a market for it, the thing is arguably the most recognisable / iconic turntable ever produced and certainly the first thing one thinks of when one hears the brand-name 'Technics'. Killing it was a truly bizarre decision.

I'm sure Technics did their sums. I suspect that they were the victim of their own success. The SL1200 is bombproof and they built 3 million of them! You can pick up a decent S/H MK II for 250 - 300 quid, loads of people recondition them and and there will never be a shortage of spares. Everyone just buys a s/h one.

I always thought the Technics sounded pretty decent despite its popularity with DJs although I've not actually heard one in my home system. There are so many of these around that it wouldn't be difficult to pick a used one up for not a lot of $. I really wonder why any one would bother with new knockoffs (branded or otherwise). To manufacture them at that price level you really need to do it in China with the resultant poor quality. (Sorry I think most manufactured stuff out of China is Shit).

Ive just bought a Pioneer PLC590 and a SME3009 mk2 hoping that is going to sound as good as my 401?
If it doesn't, I'll gladly take it off your hands. The PLC-590 will go nicely with my C-21 and M-22 retro system.

I always thought the Technics sounded pretty decent despite its popularity with DJs although I've not actually heard one in my home system. There are so many of these around that it wouldn't be difficult to pick a used one up for not a lot of $. I really wonder why any one would bother with new knockoffs (branded or otherwise). To manufacture them at that price level you really need to do it in China with the resultant poor quality. (Sorry I think most manufactured stuff out of China is Shit).

The second hand market is plentiful, but exceptionally few mint boxed ones out there as they've all been pounded by DJs or worse are covered in sweat, energy drinks and cocaine due to being used in clubs. I'd actually rather like one as I do view the 1200 MkII as a bit of a design icon. I picked up a bargain SL-120 in a local auction a few months ago for just £30 with a 3009 fitted:

13714977834_60d41848ff_o.jpg

(thread here)

It's a very nice deck; surprisingly heavy and well built and sounds very decent to my ears (about what I'd expect from the arm / cart combo), but the MkII improves on it in several ways e.g. the quartz-lock speed control and the constrained-layer damping of the plinth (the Mk I has a rather flimsy and resonant black plastic base, the Mk II is a more absorbent rubber type material with a damping insert). I can certainly understand the increasing profile of these decks with audiophiles, they are very nice things.

I disagree with you regarding Chinese manufacture - sure, the pay, labour conditions and workers rights have a long way to go, but the quality is purely down to the company in question as is the quality control. As an example I use a Chinese-built Apple MacBook Pro and it's the best constructed laptop on the market by a country mile. I've also owned things like the Prima Luna Prologue tube amp and again it's stunningly well-made and finished; solid beautifully finished case-work, beautiful hand-wired point-to-point construction within. There's no good reason why a proper SL-1200 made in China to Technics spec and quality control wouldn't be as good as any other IMO.

I can't for the life of me understand why Technics stopped making the SL-1200. There is clearly still a market for it, the thing is arguably the most recognisable / iconic turntable ever produced and certainly the first thing one thinks of when one hears the brand-name 'Technics'. Killing it was a truly bizarre decision.

Me neither I think the SL1200 Mk2 is a very good turntable, Ive had one in storage for a couple of years and a couple of months ago I got it out, its in excellent condition , I listened to it with a Stanton cart and it was OK but the cart was worn out so I put an Ortofon 2M blue on it and put some decent phono plugs on the leads, I was very surprised by the result it was very musical and I found myself just listening to full sides of albums without criticizing the deck.
Since then I have fitted a Micro Sieki MR202 arm and some fancy feet and that was an improvement again, these are seriously good turntables ;)
I have also just fitted a REGA 250 OL1 to my sons 1210 mk2 and again that was a nice improvement but his arm was well shot

IMG_1221 by 337alant, on Flickr

IMG_1218 by 337alant, on Flickr

20140625_192418 by 337alant, on Flickr

Alan

Does that include Well Tempered? They're made in China now.

I would imagine that Pioneer are aiming for the deejay market, along with there cdj range and the use of laptop integration as a lot of deejays are still using the deck as an interface. I would take a stab in the dark and suggest that build quality is going to be of a fairly high standard, if your lucky it may end up as an audiophile turntable if you put on a decent cartridge but I doubt it's there main objective. Pioneer are not stupid they no their are other brands that do this better already so they will sticking to there core market which is the DJ be it club/studio. If it's anything like there other products I will definitely be interested. Yes there are a lot of used Technics on the used market but condition is generally poor and parts are expensive are they are way over priced.

advertisement

Back