advertisement

New Ortofon 2M Black half price sale

I get that, but if I have 5 Faberge eggs for sale at £500 each inc delivery and 6 people come in the shop, I may say to the 6th person "yes you can have one" without knowing all 5 have gone. I take his money and give him a receipt. Contract made. I then go in the stock room and the 5 I have are on the wagon for the other 5 buyers. I have no contract obligation to find a 6th and deliver it to him. It's a Faberge egg after all. I don't have them every week. I have an obligation to give him his money back, but that's all. Correct, pr not?
No,I don't think that is correct. If you have agreed to sell him one then you owe him an egg. And if you can't lay your hands on one yourself then you have to put him in funds to get one elsewhere. Of course, if £500 is the going rate, then you have satisfied your obligation simply by giving him his money back. But if the market rate is, say, £800, then that is the amount you will have to give him.

Someone upthread suggested that the seller's liability would be limited to refunding the amount paid, because he would have fixed his T&Cs to say so. The law in this area is very complicated, and I have been out of this game for years so I'm not going to stick my neck out too far, but I think any such term in T&Cs would be invalid. You can't usually contract on terms that exclude the operation of the law. It's contrary to public policy.
ML

Of course it's possible that, in the context of Amazon, the item listing is simply an invitation to the public to initiate a purchase and that the contract is not complete - and therefore binding - until the Marketplace seller has agreed to provide the item (eg. by sending a confirmatory email). But even under this reading, I would have thought that by the time the seller comes to take your money there is a clear indication that he has agreed to provide the item. And definitely so if you have had a confirming email.
ML

In which case I could bankrupt myself by making a joke. The going rate for any of the (50?) Faberge eggs ever made and known to exist is hundreds of thousands of pounds, possibly millions. I'll offer to sell you one for £500. You agree, so we now have a binding contract. I now have to give you the £500k, £1M, whateber, in order to go out and get one, money I don't have? Sounds unlikely.

In which case I could bankrupt myself by making a joke. The going rate for any of the (50?) Faberge eggs ever made and known to exist is hundreds of thousands of pounds, possibly millions. I'll offer to sell you one for £500. You agree, so we now have a binding contract. I now have to give you the £500k, £1M, whateber, in order to go out and get one, money I don't have? Sounds unlikely.
Well, you do have to be careful. If it was a bit of banter between mates, or some other context where the other party could clearly be expected to understand that it wasn't a serious contractual offer, then the law would not treat it as a contract. But if the other party thinks he is entering into a genuine contract, and it is perfectly reasonable for him to believe that, then you have got a problem! Where did this happen, exactly? ;)
ML

They don't have to sell you anything, in the case of the faberges he just needs to cancel the sale or refuse to honour it, there is no legal obligation to honour a sale.

There have been hundreds of cases where vendors have mistakenly put the wrong price on their website, people have purchased and paid but then been refunded when the vendor realises the mistake.

They don't have to sell you anything, in the case of the faberges he just needs to cancel the sale or refuse to honour it, there is no legal obligation to honour a sale.

There have been hundreds of cases where vendors have mistakenly put the wrong price on their website, people have purchased and paid but then been refunded when the vendor realises the mistake.
Yes, there are certain circumstances where a mistake voids a contract. But not always; as ever, it depends upon the circumstances. And in this case, where there appears to be a range of goods all offered at bargain prices, it doesn't look like we are talking about somebody who has just inadvertantly mis-priced an item.
ML

Nothing arrived, no response from the seller to emails and Amazon have assured me I haven't been charged but I can't check as I'm a TSB customer and can't access my online account!

Same here; didn't get charged, thankfully, as I was totally skint and shouldn't have been buying another cartridge in the first place, bargain or not. Lesson learnt.

I hope it worked out ok for you guys and no body has lost any money. This thread seems to have turned into more of a warnig thread.

It looks like they're at it again too. This time they've hacked an Amazon hat seller's account and they've advertied the Ortofon 2M Black for just £216. Don't be tempted. :(

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002SE3H74/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I hope it worked out ok for you guys and no body has lost any money. This thread seems to have turned into more of a warnig thread.

It looks like they're at it again too. This time they've hacked an Amazon hat seller's account and they've advertied the Ortofon 2M Black for just £216. Don't be tempted. :(

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002SE3H74/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

seems to have gone already. if they hacked an Amazon site dont say much for Amazon does it?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Finally got this message from nature supplies:

'We understand that people are very disappointed that they didn't get what they ordered but the goods never existed, it was a malicious hack on our Amazon account that created over 2000 orders and 3800 emails as well as thousands of phone calls, despite reporting the hacking to Amazon immediately, 20/04/2018. We are a small supplement company who have never sold, musical equipment, white goods, cameras, computers, TV's etc. We have two staff members, that is the situation we are in. We are cancelling orders to safeguard buyers cards/bank accounts. So please understand that we are physically unable to reply to so many emails.'

What a nightmare for a small business!

Yep, see hacked stores all the time... dangerous because of the historical trust the legitimate company has built up!

Finally got this message from nature supplies:

'We understand that people are very disappointed that they didn't get what they ordered but the goods never existed, it was a malicious hack on our Amazon account that created over 2000 orders and 3800 emails as well as thousands of phone calls, despite reporting the hacking to Amazon immediately, 20/04/2018. We are a small supplement company who have never sold, musical equipment, white goods, cameras, computers, TV's etc. We have two staff members, that is the situation we are in. We are cancelling orders to safeguard buyers cards/bank accounts. So please understand that we are physically unable to reply to so many emails.'

What a nightmare for a small business!

What does the hacker gain from such an exercise?

This is probably not unusual but I have just found in my spam folder an email purporting to be from Netflix and saying my account is on hold and inviting me to follow a link for verification.

It`s not really a convincing email especially as I don`t have a Netlix account - even so it`s a reminder to stay alert.

advertisement

Back