advertisement

New Ortofon 2M Black half price sale

Well I fell for it with the 2M Black. As others have mentioned, the order confirmation I got said 2M, but no black, so I immediately sought clarification. When no answer came I tried to cancel. I've heard nothing. Called Amazon, called my bank trying to cancel, but the payment has already been authorized. This is what annoys me; there's no evidence of any attempt to ship this but I can't do anything about money going out.

I with I'd not trusted Amazon marketplace again.

They must be bankrupt stock, seconds, grey imports or something because the prices are rock bottom trade or below.

Apart from the hassle of having to go through a claim process with Amazon I am not sure either how you can lose either.

They have a few bargain cameras which are no doubt too good to be true.

Well I fell for it with the 2M Black. As others have mentioned, the order confirmation I got said 2M, but no black, so I immediately sought clarification. When no answer came I tried to cancel. I've heard nothing. Called Amazon, called my bank trying to cancel, but the payment has already been authorized. This is what annoys me; there's no evidence of any attempt to ship this but I can't do anything about money going out.

I with I'd not trusted Amazon marketplace again.

did you use ypur credit card? then you are covered also

Apart from the hassle of having to go through a claim process with Amazon I am not sure either how you can lose either.
I once ordered a multi-tool from Amazon's marketplace for £10 and they sent me a small pair of cheap flimsy scissors. The claim with Amazon was a straight forward enough process (although to save the hassle of posting the scissors back to China I told a white lie and said it never arrived). Had to wait a few weeks to get a refund though.

did you use ypur credit card? then you are covered also

I'm covered though Amazon, so I'm not worried about getting my money back. It's annoying that they get to use my money for a couple of weeks though, and I'll be out of pocket in the time it takes to claim it back. Can this be the purpose of the scam; to have sudden access to a lot of money, even though they know they will have to refund it?

ffs, it is from Amazon Marketplace and not directly sold by Amazon. They (Amazon) are not scamming. The payment gets processed by Amazon but into the account of the "seller". So the scam "seller" gets the money in their account, probably take it out in cash within a couple of days so it won't be traced and essentially do a runner. Amazon *should* refund you but you'll be out of pocket for a while and the cost in the end will be borne by Amazon. You have inconvenience and Amazon have the cost. Mind you, for Amazon Marketplace sellers the Amazon refund policy has a few areas for wriggle room. If I were in charge of Amazon I'd be looking to insert a gullible idiot exception into the Ts&Cs for refunds for sales via the marketplace.

ffs, it is from Amazon Marketplace and not directly sold by Amazon. They (Amazon) are not scamming. The payment gets processed by Amazon but into the account of the "seller". So the scam "seller" gets the money in their account, probably take it out in cash within a couple of days so it won't be traced and essentially do a runner. Amazon *should* refund you but you'll be out of pocket for a while and the cost in the end will be borne by Amazon. You have inconvenience and Amazon have the cost. Mind you, for Amazon Marketplace sellers the Amazon refund policy has a few areas for wriggle room. If I were in charge of Amazon I'd be looking to insert a gullible idiot exception into the Ts&Cs for refunds for sales via the marketplace.
I think it's well understood that Amazon aren't making any money out of this. But they do make money out of the expectation of occasional super-bargains, dedicating several days of the year to reminding people that they're there, and are very slow to deal with scammers: it's a bit much to be calling people gullible idiots. It's really odd to see such indignation channelled into the defence of of a company like Amazon, BTW. Steer clear of the Bargain Boxsets thread, you'll do yourself a mischief.

All the products have been removed from their store but they aren't answering emails. Time to raise a chargeback I guess.

law of contract is satis fied if they refund in full because you are no longer out of pocket.
In most cases of breach of contract, the correct measure of damages is that the defaulting party must put the "innocent" party in the position they would have been in if the contract had been performed. In this case, therefore, as if the buyer had actually been able to buy a 2M Black for the agreed price. Generally speaking, contract law does not simply operate so as to pretend that no contract was made in the first place.
ML

They must be bankrupt stock, seconds, grey imports or something because the prices are rock bottom trade or below.
One strong possibility is that they just don't exist at all.

This happened to me on Amazon. I opened my emails one day to find the beginning of what would become a flood of messages asking me when this washing machine or that air-conditioning unit would be delivered, and if I would quote a price for bulk delivery to India etc. I was mystified at first. It turns out that someone had opened a bogus online Marketplace shop, selling all things to all people ... under my Amazon identity! Things quickly got worse: the incoming emails soon ran to dozens and then hundreds, often anxious messages, saying that the writer had bought and paid for a bicycle or something, but that was a week ago and they hadn't heard from me and did I still have their order. Shortly these anxious emails were supplemented by stern messages from Amazon warning me of Marketplace code violations and threatening sanctions.

I contacted Amazon Marketplace Seller Services, and to give them their due they tried hard to put things right and close down "my" shop quickly. The emails from distressed purchasers still flooded in though, and in the end I decided there was nothing to be done but email everybody back to advise them that they - and I - had been victims of a scam and they should address themselves to Amazon for compensation if they were out of pocket. My email was quite polite and sympathetic, but you would be amazed at the vitriol I got back in some cases: buyers writing back that they hoped it bankrupted me and that I deserved it for not keeping my passwords safe/not using better anti-hacking software/not being like they are etc. Ah well ... there's nowt so queer as folk! I have to say, it was a bit scary at the time, though.
ML

I get that, but if I have 5 Faberge eggs for sale at £500 each inc delivery and 6 people come in the shop, I may say to the 6th person "yes you can have one" without knowing all 5 have gone. I take his money and give him a receipt. Contract made. I then go in the stock room and the 5 I have are on the wagon for the other 5 buyers. I have no contract obligation to find a 6th and deliver it to him. It's a Faberge egg after all. I don't have them every week. I have an obligation to give him his money back, but that's all. Correct, pr not?

advertisement

Back