advertisement

New Order

tobermory

Your post takes me back.

I agree the Poole gig was excellent (also Portsmouth GH), and now pleased I could get to Brighton!

I blew a term of student grant following NO around UK during their spring '85 mini tour.
Co-incidentally ended up in Ian Curtis Macc' former home on the last night (at that time was a B&B).

Cheers - John
Did you go to their gig at the Sobell Sports Centre in north London? Strange choice of venue but they performed well that night. Within walking distance of where I was living too.

Yes. I also fondly remember that show.
imsmc it was a benefit for the centre.

A few years ago Hooky did some gigs in the old Factory Records offices, playing most of Substance, with old Factory bands such as A certain Ratio wandering in on different tracks. Good night out, wonderfully nostalgic, the worst sound ever - but nobody cared. Half way through bouncing around my back packed up and I was driving back to Yorkshire afterwards in a car with spine-breaking suspension. Didn't care, great night.

I'd like to see Hooky play live with his current band.
The *hooky audience recordings I've heard sound very promising.
I saw Monaco once and it was a fine performance imo.

* let the pun free lil' fish cast the first stone

I have the DVD of Taras Shevchenko, with the New York 1981 concert which I think is fantastic and possibly the only music video by anyone I have watched more than twice!

Anyway, also on my DVD is Reading 98. As I watched it once I couldn't help feeling all the vocals, except for Barney's frequent 'whoops', seemed almost too perfect, too studio-like. Too, ahem, mimed! Can't be that I thought, I must be imagining it.

Fast forward to Hooky's recent book on his New Order days and there's a bit in it about some new PA being used and how he complained "we would be essentially miming".

Anyone shed any light on this....

Stuart

advertisement

Back