advertisement

New Order

I saw them in the early 80s and was just pleased to see them. I've seen them more recently and they do a reasonable greatest hits. If you like them, go and see them and enjoy the hits loud

Also, as a riposte to the no Hooky thing - I didn't notice anyone say it wasn't New Order when Gillian took a break a few years back.
I'm reading Hook's Substance at the moment, and he doesn't have many warm words about Gillian's contribution to New Order. I'm not a huge New Order fan - the book was a gift - and I'd always thought that Hook was a bit of a plonker, but the book is a a laff riot.

I'm tempted to read his book about the Hacienda, because to me the mystery in Substance is why New Order were persuaded to bankroll the club.

Im indoors is reading Substance at the moment, and is giggling a lot.
I'm reading the Hacienda book, which really does live up to it's title, How Not To Run A Club.

I was front row at the Birmingham NEC gig with the Mondays. That was a fantastic gig.

...I was there too - still have the ticket stub tucked into the inlay of my Factory CD of Technique. A kid sat next me at the gig said "wow they are good just like listening to them on the stereo at home" :confused:

This was the last New Order gig I saw - somehow they became too professional and I lost interest. To be honest I preferred the earlier ramshackle gigs. A particular favourite memory was the 1987 Factory bands gig in the Finsbury Park Super Tent - New Order, Happy Mondays, A Certain Ratio and errr Railway Children all on the same bill !

I agree with you all, no Peter Hook = no new order. One of the reasons I got into joy division was hook's bass lines! I guess I am being a bit nostalgic! We'll see, might still check them out. Thanks all for the input
John

Im indoors is reading Substance at the moment, and is giggling a lot.
I'm reading the Hacienda book, which really does live up to it's title, How Not To Run A Club.

I was having a flick through that the other day, going to buy a copy. Funny reading the accounts for the late 80s.

...I was there too - still have the ticket stub tucked into the inlay of my Factory CD of Technique. A kid sat next me at the gig said "wow they are good just like listening to them on the stereo at home" :confused:

And me.... My first time seeing them and loved it. Got a coach down from Manchester with my mate, they were better than the Mondays, I remember.

Only saw them one other time about 10 years ago in Manchester at the Apollo, the classic line-up with the addition of Phil on guitar. I was obsessed with them as a teen in the mid to late 80's, followed their solo endeavours too. The superb Electronic debut album, the not so superb Revenge debut.

Anyone go to the Electronic, Heaton Park gig in '91 (Parties in the Park) ?

I've interviewed Peter Hook a couple of times and have had a right laugh with him. What a fantastic bass player he is.

Just listened to Hook & The Light's cover of Atmosphere with Rowetta on vocals. It's a great version.

Jack

Only saw them as joy division,never been a massive new order fan.
Would have liked to see them in the mid 80s though.

Anyone go to the Electronic, Heaton Park gig in '91 (Parties in the Park) ?
Yes, Cities In The Park. Can't say Electronic left much of an impression. My main memory of the event is James pulling out, them being replaced by The Wonderstuff, and Miles Hunt from denouncing James as a "bunch of pussies" for not showing up. I've never liked faux cameraderie among rock stars.

This was the last New Order gig I saw - somehow they became too professional and I lost interest. To be honest I preferred the earlier ramshackle gigs. A particular favourite memory was the 1987 Factory bands gig in the Finsbury Park Super Tent - New Order, Happy Mondays, A Certain Ratio and errr Railway Children all on the same bill !

I loved the Railway Children - That first Peel Session is excellent, Gary Newby had a ear for a tune.

...yes to be honest I have a soft spot for the Railway Children too. I have Factory CD of their first album. I also have the later Virgin CDs - one of which a pal from Wigan played constantly on an early 90s road trip to Scotland. From then on we referred to the Railway Children as the Wigan boys!

Slightly off topic but over the last few years I used Discogs to track down every last FACD UK Factory Box Set, Album and Single on Compact Disc. I now have them all including a full set of the Factory Classical CDs.

The guy that wrote this book - Colin Gibson :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1909360422/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

...actually went one better and collected every single item (Vinyl, CD and miscellaneous items) in the entire Factory Catalogue. Colin ended up putting on an exhibition to show all his Factory collection off. The book which I am reading at the moment is a great read. Colin I am pretty sure is virtually the same age as me (I am 50 next month). The book is a fascinating time capsule of growing up in Manchester in the late 70s / 80s. It certainly is striking a cord with me - bringing back a lot of memories from my own teenage years.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
...yes to be honest I have a soft spot for the Railway Children too. I have Factory CD of their first album. I also have the later Virgin CDs - one of which a pal from Wigan played constantly on an early 90s road trip to Scotland. From then on we referred to the Railway Children as the Wigan boys!

Slightly off topic but over the last few years I used Discogs to track down every last FACD UK Factory Box Set, Album and Single on Compact Disc. I now have them all including a full set of the Factory Classical CDs.

The guy that wrote this book - Colin Gibson :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1909360422/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

...actually went one better and collected every single item (Vinyl, CD and miscellaneous items) in the entire Factory Catalogue. Colin ended up putting on an exhibition to show all his Factory collection off. The book which I am reading at the moment is a great read. Colin I am pretty sure is virtually the same age as me (I am 50 next month). The book is a fascinating time capsule of growing up in Manchester in the late 70s / 80s. It certainly is striking a cord with me - bringing back a lot of memories from my own teenage years.

Was it 'Recurrence' that your mate loved?
If so, I agree - I started to lose interest in the band after that first Virgin album and of course the Factory label stuff.
My brother continued to buy their albums after the first one.
Btw, 'Brighter' on 12" still sounds excellent!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Actually it was Native Place - very commercial - but catchy after 20 plays on the car stereo on the way up to Aviemore! I do prefer the Factory stuff - even have the video of Brighter on a free HMV VHS cassette which came with their copies of the Palatine 4CD box set.

Actually it was Native Place - very commercial - but catchy after 20 plays on the car stereo on the way up to Aviemore! I do prefer the Factory stuff - even have the video of Brighter on a free HMV VHS cassette which came with their copies of the Palatine 4CD box set.

Well what a coincidence...I have the Palatine box and the HMV VHS cassette as well - Cath Carroll's 'Moves Like You' and of course ACR's 'Shack Up' my favs on that :cool:.

Well what a coincidence...I have the Palatine box and the HMV VHS cassette as well - Cath Carroll's 'Moves Like You' and of course ACR's 'Shack Up' my favs on that :cool:.

In my quest to get all the Factory CDs - the CD Single of Cath Carroll's 'Moves Like You' was the most difficult to find for some reason - eventually got it - should have been a hit (her Factory album is one I play a lot).

Yes, Cities In The Park. Can't say Electronic left much of an impression. My main memory of the event is James pulling out, them being replaced by The Wonderstuff, and Miles Hunt from denouncing James as a "bunch of pussies" for not showing up. I've never liked faux cameraderie among rock stars.

Yeah, that was it, Cities in the Park. Can't remember loads about it but bought the VHS when it came out, Electronic only got 1 song on it if I remember, mustn't have been much cop as you suggested. It was the Mondays time to shine by then.

Mondays and 808 State at the GMEX is my favourite gig of that late 80s/early 90s Factory era. Joyous stuff.

Ddbt7_Pt_Wk_AA1f_XN.jpg

advertisement

Back