advertisement

New Order

rvw67

pfm Member
I was just curious if anyone has seen them on their current tour? They are playing NYC in April and I was considering going to see them. The last time I saw them was in 85 and they were awful! Want to know if it's worth going.
Thanks, John

No Peter Hook? Not New Order. I thought they were cringingly poor on Glastonbury (TV, I didn't go); all slick session muso sound and dodgy dad dancing. I saw them a lot in the early '80s and they were frequently terrible (bad sound, technical issues, hopelessly late on stage etc) but always well worth attending and on occasion superb. What they are now is of no interest to me.

+1

Also seen them several times back in the day (Hacienda) and used to be a bit of an obsessive about the band, for me too no Hooky = no New Order.

Even if you were to add Peter back into the mix at this stage I would not bother going to see them - the moments passed, it just looks like a cash cow now (can't blame them for that).

As an alternate view, me and im indoors went to see them at the RAH last year, and thought they were great. Sure, they may have lost some of their ramshackle charm; but it was a great set - worth it for an amazing version of Your Silent Face alone.

Also, as a riposte to the no Hooky thing - I didn't notice anyone say it wasn't New Order when Gillian took a break a few years back.

Also, as a riposte to the no Hooky thing - I didn't notice anyone say it wasn't New Order when Gillian took a break a few years back.

It's not New Order if there isn't a tempremental Emulator sampling keyboard on stage that postpones the set start by at least an hour due to their having to reboot it several times to get it to load the 5 1/4" floppy.

I lost interest shortly after Technique too. I saw them a couple of times in the 80s (once supported by Happy Mondays at Birmingham NEC) and they were fantastic - maybe I was just lucky to miss their more ramshackle live efforts.

A band from the same era that's still worth checking out live is Magazine. They still had fire in their bellies when I saw them at Sheffield Plug a couple of years ago and they played a storming set. Perhaps the ageing process has been kind to them because Howard Devoto has always been middle-aged at heart.

I was lucky enough to be the promoter & DJ for the Sheffield gig of their first tour (April '82 I think), & whilst it was a huge thrill they were a bit of a shambles to be fair, Hooky's performance was far & away the bright spot of the night, so I agree, no Hooky no New Order.

I've been to see Peter Hook and the Light when he has played Sub 89 in Reading a couple of times.
Both concerts were superb despite forgetting my ear plugs the first time and having tinitus for days after. Have to agree New Order without Hooky is just not New Order.

advertisement

Back