advertisement

New Order, Rolling Stones

tobermory

pfm Member
My wife had tickets for an outdoor show with New Order and Pet Shop Boys for this summer. Ticket price was 60 bucks. Needless to say, it was cancelled/rescheduled due to covid. It's been put back a year and is now indoors, here in Seattle.

Her ticket is no longer valid, she was forced to take a refund. She was given an 'option' to buy a new ticket. Prices: 250 - 400 dollars, plus fees!

A friend pointed out, and he's right, that 'New Order have become our generation's Rolling Stones'.

Not the same without Hooky but basically their own tribute act regardless...so like the Stones then, though they still have Keef.

I saw them a fair number of times around the Ceremony through to Blue Monday/Power Corruption & Lies era and they were always late, usually pretty shambolic and sometimes really good.

As the OP, I should point out that I was/am a massive NO (and JD) fan. Agreed that most times they could be poor live, but you still went, because you knew it might be wonderful. Case in point, Brighton Centre March 1986, mediocre. Very next night, at Poole Arts Centre, sublime, top 5 show ever for me. Tried to get tix for Brixton Academy in Dec 83, a postal strike scuppered that. My first show was Portsmouth in Aug 84, the ticket for which I still have. 3.50, a bit less than 400 dollars, laugh.

I alluded to this on a post somewhere (PFM??), but I have the Reading 98 on a DVD that also has the Taras Schevchenko 1981 New York performance (which is what I bought the vid for). Watching the 98 show, it all seems too perfect, the vocal especially, expect the whoops, which seem 'real'. Hooky's book then mentions some PA system where he concludes 'we would basically be miming'. The cynic in me put two and two together.

I saw them live in Vancouver. Billy Corgan was on stage with them. Wasn't horrible but not great.

I do enjoy the New Order - Finsbury Park DVD. Great crowd.

I saw them several times back in the day, and of course have seen lots of videos and dvds of live performances etc. Quality varies of course, but they speak to a time in my life, even back to the Joy Division days, and I love(d) them. I've said it before, and I'm (un)happy to say it again: No Hooky, no New Order. Their own tribute act is a good call :(

I saw them three or four times until I gave up on them (and their music) after Power Corruption and Lies. The only memorable thing about any of the gigs is how bad they were. tbf though I have a downer on them in general. Everything's Gone Green and Temptation are good, I can leave the rest.

I played the 12” of Temptation a few weeks back and didn’t think it held up too well. I’d put their high watermarks as Ceremony (original 7” or green cover 12”, not the blue/white 12” rerecording), Everything’s Gone Green 12”, Confusion 12” and Blue Monday for singles, and Movement, PC&L and Technique for albums. Technique was a brief return to absolutely top form IMO.

I played the 12” of Temptation a few weeks back and didn’t think it held up too well. I’d put their high watermarks as Ceremony (original 7” or green cover 12”, not the blue/white 12” rerecording), Everything’s Gone Green 12”, Confusion 12” and Blue Monday for singles, and Movement, PC&L and Technique for albums. Technique was a brief return to absolutely top form IMO.
I never liked Temptation nor Confusion...otherwise I concur.

I never liked Temptation nor Confusion...otherwise I concur.

I really liked Temptation, but didn’t really get Confusion, though playing them both a few weeks ago that kind of reversed. I guess I better understand the US rap/electro culture Confusion was tapping into now. Neither are remotely as good as Everything’s Gone Green though!

Great band live (assuming Albrect/Sumner wasn't drunk). Particularly enjoyed the Music for Miners tour. Have hardly put out a dud record. EGG was/is a favourite as well.

advertisement

Back