advertisement

New old stock 12" Tannoy Golds?

A pity there is no date on the label. I have just bought a similar pair of those later rubber surround 12s, and would like to see when they were sent out. Probably '72-'73?

A pity there is no date on the label. I have just bought a similar pair of those later rubber surround 12s, and would like to see when they were sent out. Probably '72-'73?

The address label has a postcode, and I think they were introduced nationally in the early 70s. So sometime after that.

There used to be a shop on Goodramgate called Savilles. I suspect these must have been bought in on behalf of a customer.

Mmmm, that's quite a find.

Aeons ago I went to check out a small pair of Tannoy bookshelf speakers as advertised in a free ads paper.

On arrival, the seller showed me what was obvious to me were a pair of Tannoy 3LZ, a bit but not to much tattiness.

Seller said someone earlier had offered him a tenner for them, he was asking for £30.

I asked, do they work ok, reply yes, I paid what was asked for, he then said their might be something else I may be interested in in his living room, we were standing in his porch.

In his living room was a sideboard containing a Leak ST20, charcoal with a varislope stereo pre, not working.

How much I asked, £50 including the Tannoy speakers says the seller.

OK I reply but I can't take the sideboard, as I remove the stereo 20, I pick up the 100 ohm green wirewound resister that drops out of the circuit when it runs too hot.

Tannoys turned out to be 10" Reds as I suspected on first sight.

Ah, them days eh?

Butyl Rubber, should be fine. 12R's were the first Tannoys I ever heard/then later owned, May 1973 in DIY Corner Lancasters built by my brother playing that new album by Pink Floyd....

Sheet rubber perishes the same as foam, although with a vastly lower surface area it is going to be slow
Nearly 50 years old, and still working well, so that's pretty slow. Just tested one; Re = 5 ohms, Fs = 20Hz, approx 40 ohms, 8 ohms @200Hz, normal rise up to 20kHz.

How sure are we that these are NOS/unused? The magnet covers look a bit scratched up to me, but I guess that could've been caused by the seller's kitchen table. Also if you look closely you can see what looks like a small dent in the surround of the left driver at about 2 o'clock in the first photo. Would be interested in your thoughts on this, @cooky1257.

I'm considering bidding on these because the OCD in me wants to find the thus far illusive, perfect sonically-matched pair of Tannoy drivers, however it's a big risk given the sketchiness of the advert, plus the fact that I need another pair of Tannoys like I need a hole in the head (and my mum WOULD go nuts!). I'm still tempted though... :D

advertisement

Back