advertisement

New Naim streamer preamp

After seeing something like this, all I know for sure is I’ll get home this evening, hug my NAIT 2 a little tighter than normal, and tell her everything’s going to be all right.

The Nait2 has seen off 30 years of Naim kit that followed and is still loved I'm sure your Nait2 will be fine

I think they look ok, except for the preamp. Curious to know what album they were playing to feel the need to redact the information on the dinky screen. Diana Krall?

Perhaps there will be some manufacturing efficiencies so that these will be sold at a more competitive price than the current series?

Does it run so hot that it needs cooling fins? Or are they fake?
Digital electronics often run hot. My DAC is the warmest box on my rack, and if you put it in with a toroidal power supply and a bunch of other stuff it will need some cooling in some situations.
Up to now Naim have used the whole case as a heatsink, but clearly they are now using fins instead (or as well).

Last edited:
I hope whatever they do they provide better control at the lower end of the volume range - I found the 252 and 282 were poor for this, with audible channel imbalance - until you turned it up beyond 8 o’clock or so.

Once again, there is no greater truth in British HiFi than the reality that Naim is incapable of understanding that high gain circuit design and imbalanced ALPS potentiometers WILL ALWAYS BE A MASSIVE PROBLEM.
I feel confident that they will continue this embarrassingly amateurish legacy with the New Classic line. They have totally lost the plot since the Focal buy-out.

It will be interesting to see what the middle splitty bit is made from. If it’s plastic, surely it’s going to get scratched to buggery in short order. It seems rather pointless to me. And as for the big volume knob with the silly shiny bit… They look great on the Nova etc when placed on the top, but on the front, I’m less sure. Doubtless people will get used to them in time. The inevitable ‘end of the world’ uproar on the Naim forum will be interesting.

nothing wrong with being a 'south paw' as they say! but aren't all the naim vol knobs on the left anyway...

Just looked at my collection 12,32 & 62. Yes, Volume Knobs on the left. Mine are all shoebox size and don't have screen, so knob is purely for volume.. I suppose this knob is multi-function and you may need to look at screen while using it which makes it more awkward for those use who are right handed.

Just looked at my collection 12,32 & 62. Yes, Volume Knobs on the left. Mine are all shoebox size and don't have screen, so knob is purely for volume.. I suppose this knob is multi-function and you may need to look at screen while using it which makes it more awkward for those use who are right handed.
I’d imagine the knob is simply for volume, just like on the deceased 272.

It will be interesting to see what the middle splitty bit is made from. If it’s plastic, surely it’s going to get scratched to buggery in short order. It seems rather pointless to me. And as for the big volume knob with the silly shiny bit… They look great on the Nova etc when placed on the top, but on the front, I’m less sure. Doubtless people will get used to them in time. The inevitable ‘end of the world’ uproar on the Naim forum will be interesting.

popcorn ready

You'll have to be quick to see any negative comments on the Naim forum before they get moderated away.
Yes indeed. I was ticked off for daring to criticise Focal speakers. I remember the kerfuffle when CB went Olive, and then when Olive went Black, but the world didn’t end. In the case of the new classics, the horrid knob and silly plastic bit don’t look like a step in the right direction, but who cares what I think. Things apparently need to look shiny and modern.

I suppose this knob is multi-function and you may need to look at screen while using it which makes it more awkward for those use who are right handed.

I'm right-handed and use any hand to turn volume up/down on my Naim kit, its not an issue.

I was ticked off for daring to criticise Focal speakers

I'm not quite sure why I was ticked off, this seem to be ages ago and it will never be repealed it seem.
Never mind - I did certainly criticise the terrible Sopra speakers, maybe I said Snaic or Teddy, who knows.
No longer a place for anything near free speech, very restricted, my goodness I'd not want that moderator job for all the money in the world.

Yes I was taking the mick. I think we will see a second premiership of Lizz Truss before Naim introduce new models at a more competitive price.

I do wonder how much the new units are going to cost - guesstimates…

NSS-333 streamer 6.5K.
XPS-3 power supply 5K.
NAP-250.3 4.5K
NSC-222 streamer-pre 5K

Once again, there is no greater truth in British HiFi than the reality that Naim is incapable of understanding that high gain circuit design and imbalanced ALPS potentiometers WILL ALWAYS BE A MASSIVE PROBLEM.
I feel confident that they will continue this embarrassingly amateurish legacy with the New Classic line. They have totally lost the plot since the Focal buy-out.
None of the new products Naim have released since the Focal merger use Alps volume pots. Focal/Vervent have done some very nasty things to Naim, but making them use fiddly volume controls is not one of them.

advertisement

Back