advertisement

New Naim streamer preamp

I had a Lyngdorf amp with a massive knob on the front. Ergonomically it worked fine. The Lyngdorf knob had quite a light action and had a low gearing ratio if that makes sense - you had to move the knob quite a bit for a small change in volume. It was very easy to dial in the volume exactly how you wanted it. I think the ergonomics of volume knobs is all about the implementation. The new naim knob does look ugly.

Considering that with expertise and nonchalance I dismissed the early photos of the ND555 as photoshopped (which they weren’t) I’m going out on a limb here and saying that there is no way the item on the top of that Naim Fraim is a anything but a crude photoshop.

.sjb

I hope whatever they do they provide better control at the lower end of the volume range - I found the 252 and 282 were poor for this, with audible channel imbalance - until you turned it up beyond 8 o’clock or so.

Considering that with expertise and nonchalance I dismissed the early photos of the ND555 as photoshopped (which they weren’t) I’m going out on a limb here and saying that there is no way the item on the top of that Naim Fraim is a anything but a crude photoshop.

.sjb

Am inclined to agree. Looks like a mash up of all the current range styles rather than a cohesive form follows function design.

It appears to have been designed a left handed person. Knobs on the top are only practical if the unit is on the top of a rack or on a shelf by itself. Perfect for an all in one. My setup means that I automatically discount anything that has knob on the top. However I would agree that 1.5 - 2 inch knob is a good size . The knob my Cambridge Audio 851n falls within this range and is also nicely weighted which makes it easy to use.
nothing wrong with being a 'south paw' as they say! but aren't all the naim vol knobs on the left anyway...

This is my first post on here, i do have a much better photo of the same gear, just not sure how to upload it!

i shall try

it wont let me do it, the equipment is real though

Any chance for a photo of the rear side? Now that would be really interesting! :D
Hopefully the official instructions below help:
How to link to image files

The pfm forum does not provide free image hosting though it does allow links to external images using the vBcode IMG tags. The reason pfm does not provide this facility is that it has an impact on the database size and bandwidth, and therefore the actual performance and running cost of the site. It is also unnecessary to provide this kind of facility these days as every internet service provider (ISP) provides their customers with an amount of webspace included in the monthly fee, i.e. you already have the facility and have paid for it.

To get your picture to appear in a post on pfm you will need to find out how the webspace of your own ISP works, this information can be found in the ISP’s FAQ section. You will need a simple FTP (file transfer protocol) application to get your image up to your webspace, there is a wide choice available for PC, Mac and *nix, including freeware, so it need not cost anything. You need to know the sign in details for your webspace, again this is between you and your ISP. For the rest of this FAQ it is assumed that you been able to get the file up either onto your own webspace or onto a site like Flickr, Photobucket, Postimages.org etc (which is actually the easiest way of doing it by far).

To link to your file you obviously need to know where it is, i.e. you need to know the full domain, path and file name of the location where you uploaded the image, it will look something like this:

www.mysite.com/myfolder/myfile.jpg

It is now a simple matter of enclosing this information within the vBcode IMG tags:

Code:
[img]http://www.mysite.com/myfolder/myfile.jpg[/img]

myfile.jpg

If using Flickr the easiest method is to click the "more ways to share" button (the one which is a box with a curved arrow coming out of it). You now get an option to "grab the HTML/BB code" - choose 'BB code', select the image size you want and the supplied code can now be pasted directly into your post. Tinypic.com offers similar BB Code links too - just upload the file and a BB Code link is provided.

In any case, Jan 4th is not that far out. Just a bit of patience needed while we are enjoying our XMas time!

PS: I saw the photo that you mention in Facebook, it looks more decent and shouldn't be too difficult to match with existing "green" boxes. I still don't like the step in the middle though...

And here is the photo if you don't have Facebook:
ptzNCiN.jpg

Some poor dealer will be in big trouble with Naim... :eek:

PS: It's obviously a fake photo with the CD player stacked on top of the SuperNait :D:oops:

Any chance for a photo of the rear side? Now that would be really interesting! :D
Hopefully the official instructions below help:

In any case, Jan 4th is not that far out. Just a bit of patience needed while we are enjoying our XMas time!

PS: I saw the photo that you mention in Facebook, it looks more decent and shouldn't be too difficult to match with existing "green" boxes. I still don't like the step in the middle though...

i did try that mate, came up with a thing saying my post was spam

That picture is much better

Clearly reveal the new cooling fins, looks more like the Solstice boxes, wonder if they are necessary or just a gimmick, Naim poweramps hardly gets warm.
No idea what's going on in the middle step, maybe just prototypes before they come up with a final edition ?

Do you know what number these new boxes are ?
Upper box could be NSC222

Well I think they look great if they are genuine! A nice overlap of old and new designs, although as always will reserve judgment until I see them in the metal and perspex.

I can imagine that particular dealer's head will be perched jauntily on the end of an illuminated green (and white!) spike outside of Naim Towers!

Quoting myself here:

--Na(i)ming convention:
  • NVS TT: Naim Vinyl Source TurnTable
  • NVC TT: Naim Vinyl Control TurnTable
  • NPX TT: Naim Power X(any ideas?) TurnTable
  • NSC 222: Naim Streaming & Control 22 (2 channel)
  • NSS 333: Naim Streaming Source 333 level

Assuming 555 level remains the pinnacle Classic level, and assuming that there will be no 444 level (tetraphobia especially for Chinese markets), we can assume that 333 will be claimed to be something like "S" level and 222 at the "X" level. (A lot of assumptions there :D). I wouldn't expect anything else below that, as the trend is to integrate things (and thus steer entry customers to Uniti stuff). So the future NACs could be:
  • NAC 222: (~replacement of 282, in case it doesn't dissapear completely in the simplification/integration process)
  • NAC 332: (~replacement of 252)
  • NAC 552

Any more thoughts/suggestions?

Qurious being that I am, I tried the following links:
Code:
https://www.naimaudio.com/product/nsc-222
https://www.naimaudio.com/product/nss-333
https://www.naimaudio.com/product/nac-332

They all give the warning
Code:
You are not authorized to access this page.

Any other random product code (I tried a lot of NACs :D) gives the error:
Code:
The requested page could not be found.

So it seems I got some of my (pretty obvious) assumptions right. Anyone else willing to try out their luck with the Naim website? :D

better pictures and i think the look is ok but the vol knob is still wrong, just a bit too big and that chrome ring....

Quoting myself here:

Qurious being that I am, I tried the following links:
Code:
https://www.naimaudio.com/product/nsc-222
https://www.naimaudio.com/product/nss-333
https://www.naimaudio.com/product/nac-332

They all give the warning
Code:
You are not authorized to access this page.

Any other random product code (I tried a lot of NACs :D) gives the error:
Code:
The requested page could not be found.

So it seems I got some of my (pretty obvious) assumptions right. Anyone else willing to try out their luck with the Naim website? :D

Thanks, I had the same, but I may keep on trying.
I will post if I find anything

why you need fins on the pre/streamer is beyond me!

Actually my Superuniti gets warm, same may apply for 272, new 222 can't be much different in that regard ?
Unless they have made significant changes to their poweramps, those fins may be gimmick or just for cabinet matching.

advertisement

Back