advertisement

New Naim streamer preamp

My feeling is that a lot of people like to look at their system, me included. I wouldn’t buy anything that I didn’t like the look of.

I’m curious to know what the Linn Selekt is like. I have had a chance to listen to the new Naim boxes and I was impressed though I think I’d need to hear them with speakers I am used to. The price is a stretch too far for me right now though. Be interested to know how the Linn Selekt one-boxer shapes up in comparison.

I’m curious to know what the Linn Selekt is like. I have had a chance to listen to the new Naim boxes and I was impressed though I think I’d need to hear them with speakers I am used to. The price is a stretch too far for me right now though. Be interested to know how the Linn Selekt one-boxer shapes up in comparison.

I have the Selekt DSM with Organik Dac home for a listen. It has both balanced and unbalanced outputs and I’m using the latter into Naim NAP300DR. It is definitely way better than my current 272 ( with Teddy Pardo XPS) and I’ve used the MM input with my LP12. I’m finding the internet radio search function much less easy to use than Naim’s but using the Toslink inputs for an ancient Teac CD player and my TV.

I did compare the 222 with the Linn DSM in the shop ( Robert Ritchie) both into a NC 250. It’s not like for like in that Linn offers standard/Katalyst/Organik/dual mono Organik- so I think price wise 222 is roughly equivalent to the Katalyst option. But when you add in the 300 power supply you have £11400 for Naim and c £8500 for Linn Organik.

As I mentioned back up thread if you hear the 222 with the power supply it’s difficult to imagine not having it!

Also hearing Quobuz (including hi-res) for the first time is interesting - 1 st gen Naim can only handle Tidal to cd quality

The Linn is a brilliant one box pre amp streamer and I am likely to move in that direction. I will be able to lose 3 boxes - XPS power supply , phono stage and phono stage power supply.

I quite liked the multi box Naim stack, felt like an achievement to have it, after a while I began to find it a rather oppressive presence. Not real sure why.

I think the Linn unit is the direction I’d go in if I had the cash, however, would be any better than a Benchmark Dac? I already have a streamer in the shape of a Innuos Zen mini & LPS.

1 st gen Naim can only handle Tidal to cd quality

Its a small point I know, but...
This is true if you are streaming from an internet music service, but the first gen devices can stream Hi Res from a local drive suitably populated with Hi Res down loaded files, meaning that I have heard my 1st gen Naim streamer playing Hi Res.

Its a small point I know, but...
This is true if you are streaming from an internet music service, but the first gen devices can stream Hi Res from a local drive suitably populated with Hi Res down loaded files, meaning that I have heard my 1st gen Naim streamer playing Hi Res.

Fair point - and I’ve also ripped hi res to usb sticks which can play on Naim but not on Linn - and there are work arounds for Quobuz using other linked devices - but it’s all easier on next gen Naim/ Linn!

Well if it's the owner, then, what's the point of a "trophy"? Can someone really tell me these black lumps are attractive? You get them to listen to, or it's pointless.
I don’t think they’re attractive, and I don’t like the many box approach. But some people do, and the possibility with Naim to have a separate PSU for a preamp and each source, multiple amps, etc. might attract people that actually like lots of boxes and hifi furniture.

Last edited:
I’ll be very interested to see how they move the NAP300DR forward. Mono amps would be seriously tempting…

I don’t think they’re attractive, and I don’t like the many box approach. But some people do, and the possibility with Naim to have a separate PSU for a preamp and each source, multiple amps, etc. might attract people that actually like lots of boxes and hifi furniture.
Some people? I know many Naim owners, I've yet to meet one who prefers heaps of those black boxes over fewer that would gave the same sound. Perhaps those who just love multiple boxes would give their opinion?

Some people? I know many Naim owners, I've yet to meet one who prefers heaps of those black boxes over fewer that would gave the same sound. Perhaps those who just love multiple boxes would give their opinion?

I think for some it's all about the sound and they couldn't care less how many boxes there are or even what they look like. While Naim's black boxes aren't exactly a design classic they are at least inoffensive to the eye which is why I was quite happy with my wonderful sounding active Olive system for many years as I wasn't that fussed about the box count as long as they looked OK. However, more recently I found myself questioning the logic of having so many boxes and how many racks they occupied so have now moved away to an ATCSCM40A active based system. That said I loved my Naim gear and just because it's no longer in my main system now doesn't mean I wouldn't consider going back one day. I know people laugh at all the boxes and power supplies but for me I'd rather have them and the sound they produced than many other 'neater' systems I have listened to over the years. At the end of the day no one is forced to buy Naim or even to add a PSU to their existing Naim kit so not sure why there is this underlying animosity towards the brand from some over its upgrade paths and the likes.

I think for some it's all about the sound and they couldn't care less how many boxes there are or even what they look like. While Naim's black boxes aren't exactly a design classic they are at least inoffensive to the eye which is why I was quite happy with my wonderful sounding active Olive system for many years as I wasn't that fussed about the box count as long as they looked OK. ..... I know people laugh at all the boxes and power supplies but for me I'd rather have them and the sound they produced than many other 'neater' systems I have listened to over the years. .......

This for me too. I have a 252/SC/300 so 4 boxes. I have a Linn DS and looked to chop that and the 252/SC for a fancy Seleckt but it wasn't as good (to me). So the boxes stay and I can "show them off" to whoever comes around like all those who own Naim hi fi do. That obligation *IS* in the small print of the contract when you buy Naim it isn't it?

Now that sufficient time has passed and I am no longer bound by a contract of silence, I can reveal exclusively that Naim, knowing how discerning & perceptive I was for all things audio, commissioned me to home trial their latest hi-fi component - a single box incorporating 3xNAP500s, a NAC552, and all their associated power supplies in a single box! I was very impressed with its appearance; friends and neighbours were very awed, and on viewing the device instantly realised how wonderful, rich, and important I must be. Unfortunately, although the mastery of its construction was an awesome sight to behold, alas the downside was the unfeasibly massive weight of the thing, and my experience came to an abrupt halt when the whole shebang fell through the floor. Amazing I know, but absolutely true!

EFtoMPr.jpg

At the end of the day no one is forced to buy Naim or even to add a PSU to their existing Naim kit so not sure why there is this underlying animosity towards the brand from some over its upgrade paths and the likes.
Agree with you. When I first added a power supply to my 42/110 I was amazed at the sonic upgrade. When I later added a Naim power supply it got even better, sadly had to sell it as an impoverished mature student but kept the 42/110 which still sounded good but not as good. When I upgraded the 42/110 to a 32.5 /140, later adding a hi-cap was an even more noticeable upgrade. These experiences changed me from a power supply sceptic to recognising the benefits of getting one, albeit at a fairly hefty cost.

Now that sufficient time has passed and I am no longer bound by a contract of silence, I can reveal exclusively that Naim, knowing how discerning & perceptive I was for all things audio, commissioned me to home trial their latest hi-fi component - a single box incorporating 3xNAP500s, a NAC552, and all their associated power supplies in a single box! I was very impressed with its appearance; friends and neighbours were very awed, and on viewing the device instantly realised how wonderful, rich, and important I must be. Unfortunately, although the mastery of its construction was an awesome sight to behold, alas the downside was the unfeasibly massive weight of the thing, and my experience came to an abrupt halt when the whole shebang fell through the floor. Amazing I know, but absolutely true!

EFtoMPr.jpg
Any idea what it’s theoretical mass would be. Enough to distort the sun’s rays?

advertisement

Back