advertisement

New Mot threat to diesel

peter bj

pfm Member
The latest Mot will have much harder tests for Diesel and could result in a lot of perfectly good cars being scraped . I feel it is wrong for the government to move the goalposts after it encouraged people to buy Diesel

The latest Mot will have much harder tests for Diesel and could result in a lot of perfectly good cars being scraped . I feel it is wrong for the government to move the goalposts after it encouraged people to buy Diesel

good diesels should be banned. Hard boobies for those foolish enough to believe an incumbent government.

Please explain how the new tests will punish anyone who bought a diesel any time since, day, 1995.

If my venerable diesel car failed the emission test, I would take it on the chin and buy a compliant car.

But I’d retain the motor, and make a generating set out of it!

On the other hand, the motor was very far inside the limits on its last MOT six weeks ago.

The current test is very stringent, and I doubt anything that complies with the particular legal requirements will be banned.

I'm assuming that unless it's absolutely Donald Ducked then it will be fine. I don't think we're likely to see a diesel graveyard any time soon.

As a driver of an old Diesel I read through the new MOT details carefully. It seems perfectly fair and unlikley to cause my 03 Volvo to be scrapped. But if you have a later car and have removed the particulate filter watch out they rightly will have you.

How moving the generation point from the vehicle to the refinery is a benefit is beyond me. Far better to spread the issue rather than concentrate it in one area.

The idea that petrol is clean is a grand joke.

Just in case some have missed it, petrol particulate filters are now being fitted to new cars, two models of BMW already. They're required because petrol engines are producing tiny tiny particles, and these are obviously doing us humans no good.

So, all you petrol engined car drivers who have been on your high horses since VW Gate can go fk yourselves.

The gullible's who have bought into the whole 'Diesel is Evil' thing amaze's me...its similar to the person drinking the glass of wine while judging a person smoking a joint because its 'illegal' scenario...

Isn’t it more about people removing DPF filters? A known route through the old mot if they clogged up instead of replacement?

I have a 2010 VW 3.0 V6 turbo diesel so that’s enivetably been doctored from the factory... lol.

When I chose diesel, I did so in the knowledge that my CO2 emissions would be maybe 60-75% of an equivalent petrol. I'm still of the opinion that climate change is a greater evil than local particulate pollution, and this is a considered choice, so I won't be lectured on how bad diesels are for the environment. All cars are bad for the environment. Pick your bad.

From 20 May 2018, any Euro5 diesel that emits visible smoke of any colour will automatically fail the MoT.

Good!

I understand that the cars will be tested at full acceleration so quite likely to produce smoke and a fail .However I am not clear if this only applies to cars with dpf ,perhaps older ones will be ok ?
All cars pollute but it makes less sense to scrap a good old car with life in it as making a new one also harms the environment

advertisement

Back