advertisement

New Mission 770!

Bargain? Yer havin a giraffe! Complete and utter rip off!! Allowing for inflation the originals would now be about £1350 and they were made in UK in Missions Cambridge factory. That is all the new one's should be selling for.
They are really just a 2 way speaker that has been styled to tap the 80's nostalgia market of course and have diddly squat to do with the originals.

What British made speakers for £1350 look like good value to you, any you can recommend? ATC at that price have cabinets from the Far East?

Bargain? Yer havin a giraffe! Complete and utter rip off!! Allowing for inflation the originals would now be about £1350 and they were made in UK in Missions Cambridge factory. That is all the new one's should be selling for.
They are really just a 2 way speaker that has been styled to tap the 80's nostalgia market of course and have diddly squat to do with the originals.

Not at all. The originals were very thin walled cheap and nasty chipboard with a cardboard tube for a port (and I say this as an admirer of the way they sounded back then). The new ones are a very different beast in terms of design philosophy, cabinet rigidity and materials, build quality and likely driver quality. There is essentially no direct comparison.

Looks like I over estimated the price as my original guess was £3995 - looks like a bargain at £3.5k especially as it includes stands....

Nah, I’m shallow and reject them on the basis that they look like What Hifi group test runners up from 1989 in the ‘up to £150’ category… ;)

I inspected the Mission 770 in the flesh when I went to collect my mains power cable at the store yesterday. Although the build quality is decent, overall they look cheap to me especially the cabinet. I don't blame the price as the cost of new hifi has increased significantly throughout the years. They look more like £1,000 than £3,500 to me but then everyone needs to make a profit and things are getting expensive these days so the price tag is comprehensible.

I didn't listen to the 770 or any other speaker in the showroom as I have no interest in new hifi anymore other than cables and accessories.

I was about to say pure nonsens

Would appreciate if you can clarify which part is regarded as nonsense? Is it about the 770 looking more like £1,000 than £3,500 or the MSRP has taken into consideration profits?

The real wood cabinet of the 770 looks like vinyl wrap to me and is certainly a step below the quality of say Harbeth/Graham.

Would appreciate if you can clarify which part is regarded as nonsense? Is it about the 770 looking more like £1,000 than £3,500 or the MSRP has taken into consideration profits?

The real wood cabinet of the 770 looks like vinyl wrap to me and is certainly a step below the quality of say Harbeth/Graham.

I believe he’s saying the price is pure nonsense but I could be mistaken.

Would appreciate if you can clarify which part is regarded as nonsense?

My first thought because you considered them 1/3 or less looking value, in the same sentence you say price is comprehensible ?
That sounded nonsens but wouldn't be offensive against you.

IMO these speakers are crazy expensive for what you get.

My first thought because you considered them 1/3 or less looking value, in the same sentence you say price is comprehensible ?
That sounded nonsens but wouldn't be offensive against you.

IMO these speakers are crazy expensive for what you get.
Right, thanks for the clarification. So it's supposedly the contradictory statement I've made. Comprehensible is not the same as accepted. I can understand why the MSRP may be priced to a certain level, but my thoughts remain the same in that the speakers look rather cheap at their asking price, to me around £1,000. Perhaps they sound spectacular and £3,500 may be fully warranted.

So it's supposedly the contradictory statement I've made

Exactly what I meant.

The speakers are probably very expensive of several reasons:
1. They are assembled in UK
2. Brand has good reputation and #770 edition bring good memories to potential customers
3. Profit demand are getting higher these days, - while manufacture cost already have reached their minimum, due to changes and savings in manufacture, - higher retail prices added.

They're nothing like the originals in terms of build quality and sound quality.
It IS a branding exercise to invoke nostalgia, but they're still several leagues better than the originals in many ways.

As much as I look up to Mr Comeau’s work, this edition of a somewhat legendary starter speaker has become an amazingly expensive product. Pity that.

As much as I look up to Mr Comeau’s work, this edition of a somewhat legendary starter speaker has become an amazingly expensive product. Pity that.

The 770 was never a starter speaker, I’m sure it cost at least as much as the equivalent sized BBC box from Rogers, Spendor etc. There was a whole range below it (700, 707, 737).

I don’t think the pricing is out of line with the rest of the market, it is priced about the same as a Harbeth Compact 7, Graham LS5/9 etc which are what I’d assume were its prime competitors. It is a lot, but UK made niche-market audio kit is never going to be cheap.

PS It is always unwise to compare UK, US or Japanese made kit with the highly distorted market of kit manufactured within the Chinese communist dictatorship. That is hugely subsidised by cheap labour and state influence.

advertisement

Back