advertisement

New member of the family (puppy content)

JezmondTutu

pfm Member
Meet George - an 8 week old working cocker spaniel!

20146EFD-FB76-4485-9FBC-394719F46043.jpeg

What a delightful looking chap, he’s obviously taking a short rest before a lifetime of high activity and playfulness!

Wow. That little fell will keep you busy and active for the next 14 years.

Starting the training now.

He's a cutie! My pal was round tother day, his lab decided the floor was too cold and climbed up for a cuddle. Aww.

What did he set you back?

We paid 600 for ours at the beginning of the year, but one of my work collegues just dropped 3k on one, jesus!

Beautiful, our little girl is coming up to 13 and she has been the best in a lifetime of owning working dogs (I am 78 ).

I love to see children and dogs it can be a fabulous relationship.

Dave

We have a 1 yr old show cocker, seemingly endless amounts of energy. A working Cocker will have even more!
Training will be key, they respond really well & in our case, he seems to learn the positive commands easily but struggles with the “No don’t do that commands”.
Sadly there are lots of reports of desirable dog breeds being stolen whilst on walks etc, so be sure to keep a close eye on him & ensure the whole family are aware of strangers asking about your dog. The price of dogs, Cockers in particular seems to have rocketed in the last year or so.

A dog thief’s dream is the Spaniel, as it’s the fashionable dog to own thanks to Will and Kate and the Beckhams. Easy to steal and command £1000s .

The number stolen in England is astonishing, never let her far out of your reach and that’s not easy as working cocker ‘stay’ and recall is dodgy to say the least, one of the harder dogs to train, their strong prey drive makes them go deaf in an instant.

They respond best to brain stimulation and take note that 20 minutes using their brain is roughly the same exercise as an hours walk, they can run all day and still want more!

You’ll be fitter than a butchers dog within a few months :D

PS: they should only get 5 minutes per month of age twice a day as their joints aren’t fully developed and it saves injury and arthritis when they get older. IE: 8 weeks old 10 minutes walk twice a day.

So DON’T assume you can walk it for miles from day one, and be wary of picking them up and them jumping out of your arms onto the floor, that’s a cause of many puppy injuries.

Apologies if you already know this and if it’s been said already.

Sadly there are lots of reports of desirable dog breeds being stolen

this is also the case with cats. The two reasons ours are indoor cats are (a) to protect the local birds and (b) our vet warned us of 5 or 6 cat kidnappings per year in our area. Your cat disappears and you put up missing posters with an offer of an reward (of say £100)......then you get a call saying you can have your cat back for £1000......people round here have paid, those that didnt never saw their cat again. I have lost count of the number of times a stranger has knocked on the front door and offered large sums of money for the cat (Marley) sunbathing in the window......

Amazes me the price of mongrels these days, couldn’t give them away years ago, now it’s £2000-4000 for one, madness.

advertisement

Back