advertisement

New LP12s - Bundle Bargains?

I installed a lot of cartridges on LP-12s. I always removed the tonearm. It is easy, one set screw on the arm collar, unplug the tonearm cable, and it is free. Maybe mark the arm pillar with a bit of tape to be able to get the VTA close when it all goes back together. Final adjustment of VTA is kind of a pain in the butt, tho, but not horrible.

What other deck offers the same quality of construction, modular upgrade path (with a wealth of third party support) and excellent residuals?

Surely it's the quality of reproduction that is key. Many have found the LP12 to be bettered in this respect.

Surely it's the quality of reproduction that is key. Many have found the LP12 to be bettered in this respect.

I deliberately omitted an opinion on quality of reproduction as its almost entirely subjective.

People have all sorts of strange and wonderful opinions on that.

And the range of different sounding options available is very wide indeed.

I don't think I would be tempted these days especially with only a small vinyl collection. A P6 would be my downsize deck if ever I had a moment of madness and let the P9 go (I do do rash things sometimes).
It’s pointless swapping really. A P8 would probably be in a par but they look a bit challenging.

My experience is that really doesn’t happen.

So the basic £2k deck, does that come with a Karousel?

I’d also vote for mix and match. £2k for an Akito is insane!
I enquired what I’d need to add to get a fully working new LP12 based on the £2K deck, obvs need tonearm/cart.

subchassis (majik kore or keel)

power supply (majik, lingo 4 or radikal)

motor (comes with lingo 4 or radikal)

baseboard (solid or trampolinn)​

I have always enjoyed the various LP12's over the years, if starting all over at this point in time, the new Well Tempered Amadeus Jr. would probably be getting my time. No, not quite the build quality over all as an LP12, but sure sounds damn good! Then again, my Holbo Air Bearing table does too. :)

Well not really as the Lenco and the Garrards are defunct. The Technics is available new but Although they can be upgraded, much like a Rega, 99.99999% of people wouldnt.

Having had the demo, I felt the Akurate was better than Majik but couldn't justify the cost difference.
I've kept my existing cartridge and did get a new LP12 base mechanics plus 2nd hand Kore, Lingo 3 and Akito 2 for not too much more than the Majik price.

Good that you were able to get a few A/B tests going, and bring in some upgraded (and used) components to get best value. Who was your dealer?

I had that opportunity 18 months ago and I can see how you ended up with that little lot. After my demo I chose a Kore (the immediate big improvement compared to the Majik sub-chassis was obvious) and a Lingo 4 power supply (likewise). These two upgrades from the Majik spoke for themselves. I also auditioned a Lingo 3 - this represented a big improvement from the entry level Majik and although there was another improvement to the Lingo 4, of the 3 A/Bs I did, this was definitely the least significant. Luckily for me I was auditioning the Lingo 4 before it suffered its recent £450 price hike, or I might not have found its purchase (against the L3) quite so easy to sanction.

Due to budget restraints I didn't go for a replacement arm, keeping my existing Basik Plus, since replaced. It seems to me that the poorest value component in the Majik is the Krane, the power supply is poor compared to Lingo alternatives (also £3k on a TT that doesn't play 45s? Come on!) so is an obvious place to start an upgrade but in fairness at least the Majik power supply is relatively inexpensive, unlike the Krane. I imagine the money you saved on the Krane was the sum that allowed you to get your Kore and Lingo 3 'for not much more than the Majik price', which should make much more difference to overall sound quality.

advertisement

Back