Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

New LP12s - Bundle Bargains?

Discussion in 'audio' started by dalryc, Feb 13, 2022.

1. Musicman19

Musicman19 Active Member

Ludicrous

2. Dowser

Dowser Learning to bodge again..

but nobody sensible does that anymore? I’d buy the cheapest, oldest dog I could find - then add a decent sub chassis, motor controller and arm of choice. Job done

guydarryl likes this.
  3. pocketkitchen

pocketkitchen Registered User

I’d hope not but the question was asked. It’s certainly worth knowing if you’re considering buying a s/h arm. A dog might be a brilliant buy if you know what you’re doing. Most people won’t, would be my gut feeling.

JoeJoe likes this.
  4. Beobloke

Beobloke pfm Member

Or, as per the 'winking' smiley, a joke?

5. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

Fair enough, to be honest I'd never heard of the Linn mantra of over tightening cartridge screws until being on this forum and reading about it and if it had been suggested to me by anyone I'd of suggested they should wise up and have a bit of common sense, I really can't imagine anyone being ham fisted enough to put that much pressure on a M2.5 fastner that it would damage the tonearm bearings, but I guess some people have no 'feel' or mechanical knowledge. I've mounted loads of Dynavectors on LP12’S when I used to sell them and never felt the need to remove a tonearm. I always mount cartridges loose enough initially so they can still be moved for correct alignment with a protractor and then just nip them up so they don't move (they're pretty dainty little screws that really don't require much in the way of torque) generally holding the arm tube in one hand and the screwdriver or Allen key to tighten the fasteners in the other.

6. Paul Mc

Paul Mc pfm Member

I would listen to alternatives before spending a lot of money on any hifi component. The LP12 is rather expensive, so do check out other decks.

JoeJoe likes this.
  7. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

What other deck offers the same quality of construction, modular upgrade path (with a wealth of third party support) and excellent residuals?

Joolzdee, JezmondTutu and Gaius like this.
  8. pocketkitchen

There isn’t one. It’s a great thing.

JezmondTutu and Gaius like this.
  9. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

It's just easier to remove to fit with the fixed overhang, uni-pivot ARO. :D

10. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

SME? Garrard 301 & 401? Nottingham Analogue? Technics?

I am unlikely to stray from the path though.

11. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

I never had the pleasure of an Aro, being a unipivot does the tonearm assembly lift off the pivot?

12. Mr Pig

Mr Pig Trade: ^'- -'^

Yes. Very easy in some ways, pain in the rear in others.

13. pocketkitchen

Getting pissed and breaking expensive MC cartridges is an occupational hazard with this arm :(

14. Mr Pig

Mr Pig Trade: ^'- -'^

I stood next to a drunk guy as he tried to cue, someone else's, Aro and four grand cartridge. Dropped it onto to the record from about an inch up! It survived.

15. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

Surely it's the 'getting pissed' is the issue?

Amber Audio likes this.
  16. dave charlton

dave charlton pfm Member

A Planar 6 would be my deck of choice. No need jump on the (costly) treadmill.

17. pocketkitchen

Indeed so, but a conventional arm with a clip and lift lower probably would’ve helped. I’m not slagging it off though. It’s a great thing.

I had dinner with another arm manufacturer once and he described the Aro as sounding like dirty sex! Not sure I’d quite agree but that’s the funniest description of a Hifi component I’ve ever heard!

18. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

Plenty offer the same quality of construction and better as for the modular upgrade paths that could be seen as a good thing or that it's a flawed design or just a way to milk the customer.

19. tenpercenter

tenpercenter Don't ya rile 'em.....

It’s this kind of arrogance that can put people off Linn. What other decks need to be of a modular construction? Perhaps if you get the design / material choices correct in the first place then you don’t need it. What other deck charges over £5K for a power supply - you would hope residuals would be good !

As much as I am fond of an LP12 there are other choices.

20. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

What about the temptation to upgrade to P8 or P10;)