advertisement

New Listening Chair = New Listening Experience, Really??

fegs

pfm Member
Tuesday I took delivery of my new listening chair and footstool

I've gone for a Horst Knudsen Leather swivel recliner and I love it

I bought it purely because my trusty armchair had seen better days and needed replacing

What I wasn't ready for was the fact that it sits approx 4 inches higher than my previous chair and the Hi-Fi sounds so much different!

I'm 100% sure there's a real difference as opposed to imagined, just took me by surprise thats all

I have long lusted after a chair that does not occupy half an acre , that allows me to "float" with the music.
Sounds (no pun intended) good.

There definitely will be a real difference to your ears being a bit higher, hopefully a difference that sounds like an improvement.

my ears are now virtually level with the tweeters, yet it's an improvement in the bass I'm hearing
It's a substantial difference as well

We all know that room acoustics make a big difference and yet we usually ignore at our peril. When I had my 3 seater refurbished, I moved my old 2 seater into the listening area as a temporary replacement. The improvement in sound immediately noticeable although I had no idea why the sonics changed. Probably requires some mathematical modeling...

I can well believe it. I have two different chairs in my listening room which I slide into position when I'm listening. One makes me sit more upright (ears at a higher level) and the other is more reclined with a bigger headrest. My HiFi sounds very different from the two different chairs.

Looks very comfy!

I had my Le Corbusier LC2 replica (in black of course) arrive last week, I sit lower than my other armchair and noticed more HF from my speakers being the height of the tweeters on the 752F is low for a floorstander.

Biggest change from different position, second possible affects of different materials/sound absorbance.

I think the opposite. Try sliding down in the chair, the sound will not revert to the way it was before.

I too have gone from a cloth suite to a leather one and there is a big difference in how the room sounds. The cloth absorbs more sound and more high frequencies so leather sounds more detailed.

Tuesday I took delivery of my new listening chair and footstool

I've gone for a Horst Knudsen Leather swivel recliner and I love it

I bought it purely because my trusty armchair had seen better days and needed replacing

What I wasn't ready for was the fact that it sits approx 4 inches higher than my previous chair and the Hi-Fi sounds so much different!

I'm 100% sure there's a real difference as opposed to imagined, just took me by surprise thats all
Very nice chair for not stupid money.

I can well believe it. I have two different chairs in my listening room which I slide into position when I'm listening. One makes me sit more upright (ears at a higher level) and the other is more reclined with a bigger headrest. My HiFi sounds very different from the two different chairs.

Yes me too, I think it’s really good to have two possible positions.

One thing I’ve learned on one of my systems, is that I love the room reflections. I sit in a really strange place, in a corner in fact, unequal distance from each speaker, further away from the speakers than the distance between the speakers. It’s almost certainly not the best position from the point of view of hifi, but to me it’s more like a real concert experience from there, and I want that!

Have you tried wearing a leather balaclava and gloves whilst in the chair and holding a roll of kitchen foil? Just a thought mmm got to be worth trying. What harm could it do , couple of NHS plugs tied round your wrists and ankles.

You’ve got me worried.... I’m taking delivery of a leather reclining sofa in 3 weeks - been waiting 16 weeks already. It will be lower than my current sofa - me ear level will be below the tweeters (floorstanders)

I may need a pedestal/platform! :D

You’ve got me worried.... I’m taking delivery of a leather reclining sofa in 3 weeks - been waiting 16 weeks already. It will be lower than my current sofa - me ear level will be below the tweeters (floorstanders)

Booster cushion for the win!

Perhaps a pneumatic car jack may work out for you. :D

advertisement

Back