advertisement

New Linn Klimax DSM Streamer

albany

pfm Member
I had a brief demo of Linn's new next generation streamer and have to say I was impressed. The sheer clarity of the sound was astonishing. Perhaps a little too much emphasis on the upper frequencies but the bass was there and so controlled. Also has an integrated preamp with two analogue inputs in addition to the usual streamer inputs. So could be a complete package. Preamps could become redundant!
I heard it used directly into a power amp and it sounded so right. Looks great too.
Major downside it costs £30k
Anyone else heard it yet ?

Not yet. What was the power amp/speakers setup? I run a current KDS but £30k is much too rich for me, although I will give serious thought to an Organik upgrade to my DS if it becomes available at some point. I understand it will be available for the KDSM in a year or more but I’ve seen no info to suggest it will be for the plain DS as well.

Mick

The demo power amp was a Linn, not sure which one, and the speakers were Spendor D7s. The tweeters may have contributed the sibilance I heard.
I'm not a Linn user. I use a Naim ND555. I think the new Linn will be a serious competitor for Naim and possibly dCS.

It’s a lot of money but one of those running into some decent active speakers would be a cracking system for far less than the usual 6 figure high end price tag.

Hi,

I updated my KSDM/2 (Katalyst version) with the Organik Dac board recently. Now I have serious sibliance issues so I guess that albanys observation was not a coincidence. Terrible. :(

/Dominic

I just switched from Naim NAC N272 to Linn Selekt DSM with Organik DAC. Both pre amps were into NAP300DR and Sonus Faber Sonetto V speakers.

I think the Linn is way ahead of what I was experiencing with the 272 - better bass and incredible musical detail and sound stage. No sibilance issues for me.

Very happy with it.

Hi,

I purchased one earlier this year. I'm still waiting for it to come but I at least got it ordered before the Linn price increases.... I still have a demo one playing in my system. As a digital source and aggregator it's exceptional, personally I wasn't as keen running my lp12 into the analogue inputs but that may have been a cable issue. Something to revisit at some stage. I don't use the built in volume control. Roon integration is flawlesss and has been super reliable. My dealer has measured my speakers and hopefully linn will be adding them to Space optimisation at some stage.

in my system it has replied a DCS network bridge and Audio Note Dac5.1. I'd agree with the comment that it can be a little bright I had a pair of solo's on loan too. But actually running the Linn into other amps clearly showed the depth of tone and even ness of frequency response. Try playing "comfortably numb" from the Roger Water Lockdown Sessions it's profound the impact the Linn brings to a track like this.

Hi,

I updated my KSDM/2 (Katalyst version) with the Organik Dac board recently. Now I have serious sibliance issues so I guess that albanys observation was not a coincidence. Terrible. :(

/Dominic
Interesting. I updated my KDS/3 (Katalyst) to Organik last summer but haven’t noticed sibilance issues.

Mick

I'd add I have zero sibilance and with the horns traits like that are an immediate red flag.

Dominic what does your dealer say re teh sibilance?

Christ another linn thread

Other brands exist x

you could make that same comment with the substituting of any other product name for Linn in all the threads on here about any other product...Naim Project Rega ...etc

..so don't will you ?...it doesn't help any of the threads and lets you down when you do it.

advertisement

Back