advertisement

New Lambchop

garyi

leave blank
I cannot express how disappointed I am that he has put voice coder crap all over it with such aggression, such a wonderful voice just ruined.

Gutted.

5194a6e5fbfd6cf0f6e7c852af5a49fa--shari-lewis-lamb-chops.jpg

??? ;)

I was going to come in here to say that the lead singer has such a great, authentic voice and you can always tell when a Lambchop song is playing.
I feel your pain

Flotus got almost universal,rave reviews. I really struggle with it. If this is more of the same with bells on I will swerve it.

Flotus got almost universal,rave reviews. I really struggle with it. If this is more of the same with bells on I will swerve it.
Beg to differ here - I think Flotus is a great record and am hoping for. more of the same - will have a listen today

I've been listening to Lambchop since How I Quit Smoking ( and I recall a review somewhere slating this because of the singer's voice). For me, Flotus is second only to "Is A Woman" - quite a beautiful record and enhanced by the use of technology rather than diminished.

Im looking forward to hearing the new one.

Kevin

Last edited:
Just goes to show how taste varies. I think 'Is a women' is just so dull; Nixon is the best of his I've heard.

Is A Woman is the high watermark for me out of the ones I’ve heard, followed up by What Another Man Spills and Aw Come On/No You Come On, and then Nixon. Not heard the recent stuff, though I’m puzzled by how a vocoder would fit in.

PS The rules of who should be allowed to use a vocoder: a) Kraftwerk, b) Daft Punk, c) maybe not Daft Punk after all.

I gave it ago yesterday but didn't really enjoy it because of the vocoder. I think we can add Stevie Wonder to the list of people who made good use of a vocoder/talk box but agree it is a very very short list.

Just had a first listen via Quboz - like it and struck by the melodic beauty of the bass lines.

I thinks it’s going on today’s shopping list.

Clearly divisive though looking at the early reviews: one star in the Times, four in The Guardian. A bit like Dylan going electric for us Lambchop fans.

Kevin

Is A Woman is the high watermark for me out of the ones I’ve heard, followed up by What Another Man Spills and Aw Come On/No You Come On, and then Nixon. Not heard the recent stuff, though I’m puzzled by how a vocoder would fit in.

PS The rules of who should be allowed to use a vocoder: a) Kraftwerk, b) Daft Punk, c) maybe not Daft Punk after all.

It's more like (and may well be) Autotune. It's not a Vocoder. That's a very different technology.

You missed off ELO and

Stephen

You missed off ELO and

No, I didn’t! Not even Herbie Hancock!

PS The bizarre thing is I do rather like vocoders, just not with voice. You can do some really cool things with them, e.g. modulating drum/rhythm loops etc. Voice becomes a cliche within milliseconds, almost impossible not to be cheesy unless you are Kraftwerk.

Well whatever the technology its a shame. I know artists have to stretch themselves, but I really struggle with this. Hey ho..

Not a fan of the sound either. He just wants to get down with the kids.

Stephen

Cheap shot ; )

Two decades ago he was knocked for adopting a Curtis Mayfield falsetto, more recently he did the tracks with DJ Kobe andXPress2. It’s music he’s interested in and is using to explore different ways to voice his songs. I much prefer this to trending water or looking backwards.

I’ve played the record a few times this w/e : liking it more and more.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back