advertisement

New integrated amplifier

I really like the Jadis Orchestra Ref. Mine doesn’t have a remote but I think you can order it with one.
I think it’s around 40w. Beautiful, natural sound. It’s the nicest I have owned out of Naim, Luxman, Croft, Sugden and Devialet I have owned in the past.

All of the Line Magnetic integrated tube amps have remotes. Maybe the 518IA (22w) or the 508IA (48w) would fit the bill. Both are Class A SET.

Have the pleasure of listening to a Unison Research Simply Italy ( 12wpc) can anybody please explain to me how 12 Watts can sound so loud/powerful and full?:D

Yay! Upgrade time, l am in the market for an new integrated amp for my Audionote ANK-LX ( latest version) next week l am taking delivery of a Vincent SV237 MK , which l have high hopes for however l will look at other alternatives, the amp in question will have to have Remote control, and a budget of up to £3.5K, l know Audionote's own amps should be at the forefront of my wish list however l do need remote control, so looking for a smooth and refined amp that matches well with audio note loudspeakers.

Cheers.
I’ll be interested to hear what you think of the Vincent, I have the predecessor to the SV-237MK the SV-236MK, had it for 5 or 6 years now, really love it, a great amp for the money.

I’ll be interested to hear what you think of the Vincent, I have the predecessor to the SV-237MK the SV-236MK, had it for 5 or 6 years now, really love it, a great amp for the money.[/QUOTE

The Vincent has landed, great looking amplifier and also a great sounding one to- very,very musical and coherent and balanced sound.... very nice indeed.

Oh and great bass control too.:)

Help required, in my hunt for an integrated amplifier, l have had the Unison Research Simply Italy here ,first of all not too keen on it, then after some fannying around with was frankly amazed how powerful and how blooming great it sounded.... soundstage the size of Essex, tonal colour, a very real sound indeed, as if listening to some stuff for the first time, however there was just a tiny ( and l am nitpicking here) just a little loose bass- could upgraded valves cure this as l am a valve novice ( The Simply Italy has 2 x EL34 and 2 ickle valves not sure what they are) anyway an amazing sound with the Audionote ANK.

Help required, in my hunt for an integrated amplifier, l have had the Unison Research Simply Italy here ,first of all not too keen on it, then after some fannying around with was frankly amazed how powerful and how blooming great it sounded.... soundstage the size of Essex, tonal colour, a very real sound indeed, as if listening to some stuff for the first time, however there was just a tiny ( and l am nitpicking here) just a little loose bass- could upgraded valves cure this as l am a valve novice ( The Simply Italy has 2 x EL34 and 2 ickle valves not sure what they are) anyway an amazing sound with the Audionote ANK.

I'm not familiar with the amp, but could it be just that many valve amps have slightly over-generous buttocks? If you're coming from a SS amp the bottom end may seem slightly 'soft' by comparison. It might be possible to address via tube-rolling, but there would be an element of suck it and see.

Do you have the AN-Ks on AN stands? If so, filled with what and to what degree? I recall AN used to recommend starting off with the stand roughly half-filled then add mass incrementally to tune the bass.

My stands are the AN stands filled with sand on Townsend Podiums, do not get me wrong l may have been a tad enthusiastic about the bass, so l think l will get the amp back for another listen.........

I'd be looking at the new Primare i35 integrated which at Bristol pretty much blew everything else out of the water.

Unison valve amps = soft bloomy bass. I had the S6, horrible mushy sounding thing.

If you want tight, clean but sweet the leben cs300 or OTO SE is your friend old chum. Also, the Mastersound are ballsy things with great bass. There is a Duetrente on Ebay. Could be the best of all worlds for you. Remote too!

I've got some nice K LX too Andy. Using them with a prima Luna Prologue 1. Pretty stunning to be fair. Not sure you could beat it for £500

Unison valve amps = soft bloomy bass. I had the S6, horrible mushy sounding thing.

If you want tight, clean but sweet the leben cs300 or OTO SE is your friend old chum. Also, the Mastersound are ballsy things with great bass. There is a Duetrente on Ebay. Could be the best of all worlds for you. Remote too!

I've got some nice K LX too Andy. Using them with a prima Luna Prologue 1. Pretty stunning to be fair. Not sure you could beat it for £500

Mmmmm, l had the Prima Luna Prologue Premium here Steve and it done nothing for me- did not try it with the K's mind.........

I'm told the stock valves hold the PLs back. Mine is full of fancy valves (it came with them ) and it sounds refined and gutsy. I'd still go for a mastersound if you have the pennies though.

After many years of owning several different amplifiers I recently borrowed the Simply Italy on recommendation from a dealer.

A couple of days later I was handing over the cash to buy it.

To my ears it is a remarkable amplifier and not just for the money. I don’t find the bass mushy at all - I haven’t heard the S6 which may exhibit these failings.

As you say the soundstage is huge and well defined, the bass deep and it has a way of drawing you into the music. Treble is detailed and smooth bringing voices holographically into the room.

I borrowed a couple of Sugden Amps at the same time as the Simply Italy and with the Proac SM100’s the little valve amp blew the Sugdens away. Really.

I had my Croft Pre/Power to compare too. This was a closer competition but the Simply Italy just sounded better to me overall. The Croft had slightly more presence in the midrange but couldn’t compete in any other area.

I have had a load of amps before based on their reputation on forums and always been a disappointed. The Simply Italy is never going to be the darling of the internet but to me it should be.

I would think very carefully about spending more money on an amp - if you find something that roundly beats the UR at anywhere near its price I would be interested to know.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
After many years of owning several different amplifiers I recently borrowed the Simply Italy on recommendation from a dealer.

A couple of days later I was handing over the cash to buy it.

To my ears it is a remarkable amplifier and not just for the money. I don’t find the bass mushy at all - I haven’t heard the S6 which may exhibit these failings.

As you say the soundstage is huge and well defined, the bass deep and it has a way of drawing you into the music. Treble is detailed and smooth bringing voices holographically into the room.

I borrowed a couple of Sugden Amps at the same time as the Simply Italy and with the Proac SM100’s the little valve amp blew the Sugdens away. Really.

I had my Croft Pre/Power to compare too. This was a closer competition but the Simply Italy just sounded better to me overall. The Croft had slightly more presence in the midrange but couldn’t compete in any other area.

I have had a load of amps before based on their reputation on forums and always been a disappointed. The Simply Italy is never going to be the darling of the internet but to me it should be.

I would think very carefully about spending more money on an amp - if you find something that roundly beats the UR at anywhere near its price I would be interested to know.

Glad it not just me who thinks it is good- going to get it back during the week- the images sounded real on some tunes- so pretty much mirrors what l heard.

advertisement

Back