advertisement

New Harbeth?

Let me preface my comments by saying that I owned the previous version of the SHL5, and I understand that the latest version is quite a better.

The older SHL5 had a big sound (by Harbeth standards) but was soft, warm and woolly. Bass was loose and untidy. Highs were a little rolled off. I am told that the newer version corrects some of this.

The M30.1 is much more coherent, more focussed, with more detail, more tonal accuracy (although still warm compared to most speakers) and more refined high frequencies. Its bass is tighter but it doesn't go as low and the M30.1s unsurprisingly sound like a much smaller speaker than the SHL5s.

I suppose it will really depend on what sort of room you have and, of course, personal taste.
crazy how my opinion is exact opposite
the 30.1 just sounds wrong to me. probably why they already upgraded them to the 30.2

Oh no. They're not going to 'upgrade' the 30.1 and charge twice as much for it. Anyway, I have a pair of 30.1s sitting unused on a bedroom floor at the moment. They're very good in some ways, but below par with, e.g., piano (even in a decent sized listening room there is significant colourtion in the piano's mid-bass).

If they sort out that issue, then they would be excellent speakers.

Oh no. They're not going to 'upgrade' the 30.1 and charge twice as much for it. Anyway, I have a pair of 30.1s sitting unused on a bedroom floor at the moment. They're very good in some ways, but below par with, e.g., piano (even in a decent sized listening room there is significant colourtion in the piano's mid-bass).

This is the first time I have heard of selective colouration... If they are coloured with piano recordings then they're coloured period.

This is not easy to assess, I know, because there are probably as many people who enjoy euphonic colouration as there are those who enjoy a fleshless, dry, fast bass which is just as wrong.

Would appreciate if you can clarify in what ways the notes of piano sound wrong with the M30.1. I have my own impressions on the speaker but would like to hear yours before I comment. Have you listened to the other Harbeth models other than the 30.1.

All speakers are coloured to a greater or lesser degree. Thin walled, ported speakers have an enjoyable form to my ears!

The new model seems very much in line with the Harbeth forum's revised mission statement; to wit, Shaw says subjectivism rules in audiophilia, and as such, Harbeth, being a commercial entity, will play ball with this facet of the market - at least to some extent.

On reflection, who can blame him? It's often thankless, likely counterproductive, to argue the place of objectivity in consumer audio. He's no doubt got the future of his family and business to secure. I can certainly imagine such additive qualities to established product lines being desirable to his buying demographic.

On a personal level, though not as an equivocal fanboy as I might seem, I've learned greatly from that forum. Perhaps even saved a few quid along the way! I hope the educative aspect doesn't entirely disappear from there.

advertisement

Back