advertisement

New Harbeth?

it aint?

anyway, I just meant that the NEW model can't be the powered 30.1 since it's already public...

Well, yes, agreed that this can't be the new model.

My point was that the M30.1s are powered, not active, i.e. they have one amp per speaker, not one amp per driver, which means their Xover is after the amp, not before it, and hence they're not properly active.

Well, yes, agreed that this can't be the new model.

My point was that the M30.1s are powered, not active, i.e. they have one amp per speaker, not one amp per driver, which means their Xover is after the amp, not before it, and hence they're not properly active.

Which is a damn shame, because if they were properly active they might have some bass. If you then threw in a slight crossover tweak to bring the presence region a little bit forward then you could have the perfect little package.

OK I understand the distinction now. Active v. Passive isn't an area I've looked into much but very interesting to hear your take on it, Andrew.

I realise everyone has a different understanding of how much bass is enough, but I remember my 30s giving a seriously rousing rendition of the Rite of Spring, powered by a 306...

From Twitter/Facebook:

If you are at the Munich show this weekend you'll see our new model, the M30.2, make its glorious debut.

Available in an exquisite iridescent silver eucalyptus veneer, the M30.2 features; the latest WBT-nextgen binding posts, a new-look tweeter with silver hex grill, British-made audio grade poly capacitors, and Harbeth's 40th anniversary ultra-pure OFC internal cable.

The 30.1 is the most over-priced speaker on the market. So, yeah, a 30.2 makes sense for Harbeth from a monetary point of view.

I uploaded a Harbeth speech test recording recently to my cloud based music library.

Microsoft automatically tagged the genre as 'religious/biblical'.

Titter

Curious veneer colour, but the finish on my SHL5+ 40th is much deeper and shiny than the SHL5+.

Why on earth is is called M30.2 instead of M30.1 40th LE?

Personally, given the improvement in sound, it should not be a limited edition.

The M30 / M30.1 is my least favourite speaker in the Harbeth line. Unlike the stark difference between the SHL5 and SHL5 Plus, I didn't find the M30.1 to sound radically different from the M30. I wonder how this new M30.2 would sound like but I wouldn't put too much hopes on it, considering that the house sound of the Monitor range does not appeal to me as much as the domestic models (P3ESR, C7ES3 and SHL5+).

The SHL5+ continues to amaze me with their poise and refinement.

I like the SINGLE PAIR of WBT binding posts on the M30.2 though! How I wished the SHL5+ has this same binding post.

I have tried pushing Harbeth for an LS3/5A, especially as they had the machinery to produce the B110 driver. Unfortunately, it isn't going to be a Harbeth LS3/5A.

Now we have the Falcon Acoustics LS3/5a, the Graham Audio 'Chartwell' LS3/5 and the Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V2 there isn't the market for another BBC Monitor.

I didn't find the M30.1 to sound radically different from the M30. I wonder how this new M30.2 would sound like but I wouldn't put too much hopes on it,

Nor I. This is silly. It's not an update at all, it's just an 'SE', meaning the fancy anniversary editions they do with a bunch of additions that the designer doesn't even believe in ('upgraded' internal cables). There is no claim to have updated the crossover, which is a shame, because this model could have done with a tiny bit more emphasis in the presence region.

I do think that the M30.1 sounds very different to the M30, but I can't see that this is going to sound any different at all, unless they are using some really amazing crossover caps.

The M30 / M30.1 is my least favourite speaker in the Harbeth line. Unlike the stark difference between the SHL5 and SHL5 Plus, I didn't find the M30.1 to sound radically different from the M30. I wonder how this new M30.2 would sound like but I wouldn't put too much hopes on it, considering that the house sound of the Monitor range does not appeal to me as much as the domestic models (P3ESR, C7ES3 and SHL5+).

The SHL5+ continues to amaze me with their poise and refinement.

The M30's I had were very good and noticeably smoother in the upper regions compared to the C7ES2. It seemed like a neutral speaker that allowed even subtle system changes to be heard. I liked them a lot and a pair lived in my system for the best part of ten years.

The M30's I had were very good and noticeably smoother in the upper regions compared to the C7ES2. It seemed like a neutral speaker that allowed even subtle system changes to be heard. I liked them a lot and a pair lived in my system for the best part of ten years.

Perhaps one day I will be able appreciate the qualities of the M30.1 more. It does sound great but only with selective musical genres especially vocal-based material. The SHL5+ and C7ES3 may not possess the special qualities of the M30 / 30.1 but are more of an all-rounder. All my opinion of course, influenced by my listening taste and preferences. Good to hear you have lived with the M30 for that long.

Nor I. This is silly. It's not an update at all, it's just an 'SE', meaning the fancy anniversary editions they do with a bunch of additions that the designer doesn't even believe in ('upgraded' internal cables). There is no claim to have updated the crossover, which is a shame, because this model could have done with a tiny bit more emphasis in the presence region.

I do think that the M30.1 sounds very different to the M30, but I can't see that this is going to sound any different at all, unless they are using some really amazing crossover caps.

SE with upgraded internal cables. That's it? If that's the case I surely share the same sentiment. Even though I am aware it's not something that the designer believes in, the Special Editions with "upgraded wires" are developed due to market demands, the far east if I am not mistaken. I read that somewhere many years ago on HUG. The move is usually commercial-driven. If there is (good) demand it's business opportunity. After all, it's the business that keeps the company alive.

Anyway I think it's not only with upgraded wires. There is also the WBT plugs which looked pretty posh.

advertisement

Back