advertisement

New Harbeth?

You're right, but it's only a pro model, so it's in a horrible grey cabinet, which rules it out for all of us wood loving aesthetes.

And AS assertion that amplifiers don't really matter is not a good background for his active speakers. But perhaps he is changing his tune on that.

I have tried pushing Harbeth for an LS3/5A, especially as they had the machinery to produce the B110 driver. Unfortunately, it isn't going to be a Harbeth LS3/5A.

I can't see Alan the marketing man making a speaker that competes with another product of his own?

Heard my first Harbeth a couple of weeks ago at our first local dealer. I could only listen for a few minutes but the SLH-5 + was just lovely both in looks and sound. I can certainly understand why they have so many fans. Another model will be icing on the cake.

Because I know what it is. Simples !!! but carry on, it's fun.

Whatever it is, the woofer will have to be either 5 1/2", 8", or 12", since I don't think he has the ability or inclination to develop a new cone profile.

Will it replace/upgrade an existing model, or be a new product?

In my view there are three gaps in the product line - between P3 and C7, between C7 and SHL5, and between SHL5 and M40.2. I don't see how any of those gaps could be filled without introducing a new cone profile.

I don't see how any of those gaps could be filled without introducing a new cone profile.

...by making a sealed box design between the P3 and C7 in size.

He did once produce the HL-K6 which was 'a hybrid speaker: woofer from the then C7ES2 and tweeter from the then P3ES2', and squeezed the 8" driver into the smallest box possible, so I think it could be done.

But he discontinued it because it confused the monitor/domestic nomenclature.

So I won't get my wish :(

I have tried pushing Harbeth for an LS3/5A, especially as they had the machinery to produce the B110 driver. Unfortunately, it isn't going to be a Harbeth LS3/5A.

After starting the HUG thread suggesting a turntable, just to wind Alan up, my next post was a simple speculation on the new model. Either I hit the wrong button or it was too close to the mark as it was censored. 17 days to go!

p.s. The LE's have something a bit special to them and the walnut polish seems deeper than the rosewood.

haha. that's the only reason I never joined that forum - too much like an advertising platform for my liking. still, I love Harbeths...

Well, it's not only with speculation of new models. One would have to share the same philosophies or values to post freely on the forum, to be part of the warm and close-knit community. Otherwise he risks becoming an outcast or an unwanted child. Posts that do not coincide with their values may not only be deleted but subsequent posts will not appear on the forum unless approved by the moderator(s).

...by making a sealed box design between the P3 and C7 in size.

He did once produce the HL-K6 which was 'a hybrid speaker: woofer from the then C7ES2 and tweeter from the then P3ES2', and squeezed the 8" driver into the smallest box possible, so I think it could be done.

But he discontinued it because it confused the monitor/domestic nomenclature.

So I won't get my wish :(

I love the HL-K6, it has a great form factor- I just get away with it in the room I use it in, just far enough out from the walls ( they of course thrive in free space)- where I think the C7 would have been too big. I use them with a Magnum Dynalab 102 for Radio 3. Live from the Met on a Saturday is a revelation on them.
I might one day replace them with their nearest size equivalent, the M30.1 but it uses a smaller main driver?

I love the HL-K6, it has a great form factor- I just get away with it in the room I use it in, just far enough out from the walls ( they of course thrive in free space)- where I think the C7 would have been too big. I use them with a Magnum Dynalab 102 for Radio 3. Live from the Met on a Saturday is a revelation on them.
I might one day replace them with their nearest size equivalent, the M30.1 but it uses a smaller main driver?

The M30 main driver is the same as the C7; the 8" Radial unit.

Ah, thanks- it must have been the driver- cabinet proportion and my (mistaken) assumption the 30 was the same cabinet size as the K6.

probably one of the monitor series then. Anyway, a little patience, or a visit to Daves with thumbscrews, and all will be revealed.

After starting the HUG thread suggesting a turntable, just to wind Alan up, my next post was a simple speculation on the new model. Either I hit the wrong button or it was too close to the mark as it was censored. 17 days to go!

Well A.S. is not able to censor messages here...

advertisement

Back