advertisement

New Harbeth

Alan Shaw says it is a big change as per him so there must be something that he has changed....Need to hear it soon...

Will it sound better or just different and is it possible to upgrade the current version to Plus version?

Good news, I'm assured the new SHL5+ will be an outstanding speaker.

And I was really afraid they are going to upgrade the M40.1 or introduce new, higher model :)

Changes are the Radial 2 bass/mid unit and corresponding x'over tweaks. The cabinet and tweeters are the same.

It will be possible, at a later date, to modify the current SHL5 to 'plus' status.

I can't believe they've kept the same tweeters. What a missed opportunity. It doesn't make sense to me not to use the SEAS Excel dome they've used in the Monitor 30.1 unless for cost-cutting reasons.

I think that a lot depends on application. I'm not sure whether M30 (which I have now at home) have the same tweeter as M30.1, but they are definitely not better then SHL5.

I can't believe they've kept the same tweeters. What a missed opportunity. It doesn't make sense to me not to use the SEAS Excel dome they've used in the Monitor 30.1 unless for cost-cutting reasons.

I'm inclined to agree. The SEAS tweeters are exceptional - I'm just not convinced that it's ALL in the tweeter's application.

Having said that, the SHL5 needs updating, so this move makes sense. I still think that there is a glaring gap in the M range that would be filled magnificently with an M35. I suspect there is a domestic audiophile market consisting of people like me who like the M30.1, but find its bass too limiting for a considerable amount of classical music, and whose listening rooms cannot accommodate the M40.1 but could take an M35.

So, all in all, I see the logic of an updated SHL5, but would have liked to see an M35. Mind you, I'm still keen to hear the new speaker.

I've seen some pictures of Alan Shaw standing next to the new SHL5s and they look much smaller than they used to. Either a) they've manage to fit the 3 drivers into a tiny cabinet, or b) Alan Shaw has expanded enormously, of c) all Harbeths look very compact since I got ESL63s.

The only difference in 'Radial 2' appears to be the surrounds, which were introduced for the C7ES3. So it's basically a crossover rethink with AS's beloved new modelling software, but not much change elsewhere.

advertisement

Back