advertisement

New Gaming PC

Nice system, I love the Lian Li cases and have one myself. Very nice quality.

Yes, my son loves it and it's great at that discounted price.

As a newbie, I wouldn't want to buy a cheaper care where they may have skimped on bssic things like cable labelling.and routing.

There will be some drivers for the mobo to install.

You don't have to buy Windows 10 Pro. It can be downloaded from the MS website https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO

When installing just select that you don't have a license key and it'll install but give the occasional nag bottom right of screen. You can then at your leisure buy a license as above. You can add WiFi at any time using a small cheap USB dongle.

Cheers,

DV

Ok, that's the head start we needed.

I have purchased many many windows keys on ebay. They are perfectly legit, however download the offical installer from microsoft :

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

You can create a USB installer which is the best and quicklest way to go

So this ties in with Darths posts above. I make a USB installer via another machine?

We haven't connected monitor/keyboard up yet...what actually displays on initial boot up...old Windows blue screen era type stuff?

So this ties in with Darths posts above. I make a USB installer via another machine?

We haven't connected monitor/keyboard up yet...what actually displays on initial boot up...old Windows blue screen era type stuff?

First read the mobo manual BIOS/EFI. When you power up unlike a laptop there will be what will seem like a fairly long delay during POST until the splash screen appears. At this point you enter BIOS/EFI by pressing a key usually something like F2 - the options will display on the screen for a few jiffies and also be in the mobo manual. At this point explore the BIOS/EFI options and configure anything that needs configuring. Unless you have a bootable device SSD/DVD/USB stick thats as far as you'll get. On exit any suitable boot image will be recognised and loaded into the machine.

Cheers,

DV

Last edited:
You'll definitely need some more storage, top games are coming in at 100 GB file sizes each.

Here's a good, recent guide to building, and more importantly, setting up a PC - the top 3 videos in the playlist.

OK, we have Windows up and running and he's grabbing some games...

Definitely glad we built it ourselves. Components cost about £600 and none of the pre built ones come close at that price. After building it though I can see there's a good few hours to build these things even if you know what your doing.

Great choice of components. Ryzen and RX series incredible price / performance ratio, that setup will play anything. For £600.

I also use Super Flower PSUs, nice units, used one when I built a friend’s Ryzen 2600 / RX580 system a while ago. :)

Yes, it's amazing the quality you get.

He's running a HD game at the moment and it's showing 300fps. Pointless I guess as it's limited by monitor

You need to be careful about words like HD as it can mean so many substandard definitions. FHD is 1920 by 1080 and QFHD is double those figures. I have a monitor with that latter spec a 28 incher with low latency and inbuilt speakers and it cost over £300 even discounted. You can pay a lot more and for a full immersive experience the skies the limit. Oh and then you'll need a better GPU and better still two............

Cheers,

DV

Last edited:
One of the most difficult decisions for me was choosing a monitor because they all seem to have strengths and weaknesses. I originally had a Dell Ultrasharp U2415, 1080p 60hz (IPS panel). I was happy with the 1080p detail and picture quality, but the 60hz refresh rate let it down in fast moving games like Crysis (FPS games).
The Alienware AW2518HF has a very fast refresh rate of 240hz but it's a TN panel and the picture quality is supposed to suffer (especially off axis). The general consensus is that you should not go above 24" on a 1080p monitor because text and detail suffers, but 1440p is harder on the GPU and you lose precious fps. I ended up with a Samsung C27HG70 27" 144hz 1440p monitor and I'm happy with the results. It's got a VA panel, and apparently they are supposed to produce better blacks.

RTINGS are one of the better review sites.

The vast majority of gamers still use 1080p resolution, which will be best suited to your video card. More people are going up a step these days, 2560x1440, which your card should manage (but not with the highest settings, as @Alfie says.) Refresh rate is where it's at, 144 Hz being the de facto standard and this is much easier at 1080 resolution. The computer has to work hard to match 144Hz, make sure you have sufficient airflow!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HS7B1DC/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Yes the resolution dictates performance not really the PC, lots of people even have no idea what resolution their playing at never mind what sort of FPS they're getting and whether it's running well.

I've gamed at most of them, 1080p, 1440p, 4k etc. and the choice all comes down to the type of games you play and how far from the screen you sit, and of course whether your GPU will even run 1440p at 144hz for example.

Your spec sounds good for either 1080p @ 144hz+ or 1440p 60hz with good game settings. Either way it will smash a console so he should be well happy with it!

The vast majority of gamers still use 1080p resolution, which will be best suited to your video card. More people are going up a step these days, 2560x1440, which your card should manage (but not with the highest settings, as @Alfie says.) Refresh rate is where it's at, 144 Hz being the de facto standard and this is much easier at 1080 resolution. The computer has to work hard to match 144Hz, make sure you have sufficient airflow!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HS7B1DC/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Yes, he's running at 1080 and it's a 144Hz monitor

AOC or something but only 24". It cost less than £200 about a year ago.

So what would happen if we plug it into my 65" LG OLED?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
So now my cunning plan is in motion...what gear do I have to buy Junior to get a decent race car simulator going for me (him I meant...).

I want to limit it to one Monitor. Maybe an upgrade from his current 24" (AOC G2460pf) 27" will do as his old one can be used in the office. I'll check if 30" have hit any pricing sweet spots yet. 1920 x 1080 resolution is fine for what I want ...144Mhz right?

Steering wheel and pedals....

advertisement

Back