advertisement

New eBay payment method

I think it's important to remember that Paypal payment is not really instant - they can pull it back at any time if there are any issues or chargebacks. I used to strip out my PP account the moment I got paid, so at least the money was ring-fenced, but they'll come after you with the dogs if there's a problem.
Probably the same with the Ebay system, but so far, I've been happy with the service, especially on £1 deals

I sold a guitar, at the weekend, using ebays new payment system for the first time.
It did hit me that the payment was held in their account. I expressed this concern in ebay feedback, as I was a bit nervous about posting the item before clearance of the funds.
They did clear to my bank yesterday so I'm not quite so nervous now.
But, what happens if the buyer wants a refund that eBay approves? Your bank account will get direct debited with little say, I suppose.
Also I can see ebay losing some business because a surplus in my PayPal account was easier to spend on ebay.
There will be little going into my PP account now, as sales proceeds are no more.

Also I can see ebay losing some business because a surplus in my PayPal account was easier to spend on ebay.
There will be little going into my PP account now, as sales proceeds are no more.

You can still spend Paypal funds buying stuff on Ebay, nothing's changed there

You can still spend Paypal funds buying stuff on Ebay, nothing's changed there
The only problem is that very little will go into my PP account with the Sellers payment scheme diversion, which gives less incentive to buy stuff.
It is a psychological thing but it will lead to my PP getting a bit forgotten.
It's all part of ebays policy to elbow PayPal afaics.

The only problem is that very little will go into my PP account with the Sellers payment scheme diversion, which gives less incentive to buy stuff.
It is a psychological thing but it will lead to my PP getting a bit forgotten.
It's all part of ebays policy to elbow PayPal afaics.
Well Ebay were always double-dipping when they had a financial interest in Paypal. But I agree about using PP as ‘free money’. I do the same.

I was 'enrolled' (forced in) on this from the start, it's terrible. And there is no more 'no holds' funds for chargebacks/returns etc like you would get on PayPal if you were a long term business seller.

Private sellers are such as heck not going to like selling an item on Thursday, then not getting the payout till the following Tuesday, and then having to wait for their bank to process it.

I was 'enrolled' (forced in) on this from the start, it's terrible. And there is no more 'no holds' funds for chargebacks/returns etc like you would get on PayPal if you were a long term business seller.

Private sellers are such as heck not going to like selling an item on Thursday, then not getting the payout till the following Tuesday, and then having to wait for their bank to process it.

This system is, at present, a farce. I have been on eBay since god was a lad but, around 2 weeks ago, they forced me to move to this system and after 2 days payments just stopped, claiming that they couldn't verify me. After 20 years as a customer.

Since then, countless phone calls to and from eBay, uploading documents at least 6 times, still no money. Promises, promises, promises. All sorted sir, except it's not. Finally sorted this morning......and then back to the same problem again 20 minutes later!

Looking at Twitter comments and listening to a couple of eBay reps unguarded comments, this is one almighty clusterfuck.
Sure, many work out ok but they have days and days of work sorting out the 'problem' that are not OK and all the time, getting interest on our money.

I never, ever thought I would ask to go back to Paypal!! Not that they will allow that of course.

Now, just had another phone call to say it will be definitely sorted ....within yet another 72 hours, then a day or two more to get money out of them!

How did folks get told of this? Messaging within eBay? e-mail?

I've been a seller since.... I don't know when, and I've not received anything.

It appears eBay are now holding onto funds on items sold, I recently sold an item and am still waiting for eBay to transfer funds to my bank account even though I’ve used eBay for high value sale and purchase in the past.
I could understand if I was a new seller but this is taking the piss.
I thought PayPal was bad enough and with their extortionate fees I’ll be re thinking my future with eBay.
It’s just not cricket.

This new system SUCKS

They stopped payments to me mid February, claiming that they could not confirm my identity......after 12 years.

Clearly not the only person with this problem as there are other complaints on Twitter etc and more than one agent admitted as such.

I have done everything asked of me and spent around 10 hours on the phone to numerous agents. All of them agree that I am right and there is no problem, apart from their auto system having a hick up.

This is because I have a middle name, not used, but it is on my passport (which I had to upload) and their machine algorithm rejects me for that. Tried entering it, even though they say it's not a requirement. Fails.

They also don't tell you that they need 2 pages from your passport, not just a photo. More days wasted.

Customer service say it's managed payments who need to deal with it. Managed payments say it's a back office problem. Back office say they will call me and sort it. They never do.

A managed payments agent in USA told me, 2 days ago, that she had found a way to release my money. It didn't work. She told me it would take 2-3 days to get it but no sign of it at all on my payments statement so it is not going to happen.

I keep getting told that there is no manual over ride option for a manager to get my money released.

Anybody had good results from Facebook Market place?

I had the message a couple of days ago. I don't think I'll be selling on eBay anymore (I don't much, anyway). I don't think I want to "share" my bank account details with them, especially if they can help themselves to money if they decide that's what they're going to do after a disputed transaction. I'm not filled with confidence !
If I can't sell, I won't be buying as much, either, because it'll be that much harder to move on my box-swap.

Not sure what I'm going to do, but I'm certainly not sharing anything but a dedicated, isolated bank account with them.

Give them direct access to the household account, the one that pays the utility bills, etc.? No, no, no.

Great comments - I think I’ll jump ship when it comes to them forcing me to do it

500 impeccable feedback over the last 20 years. I just hate the idea of eBay being able to hold my money on high value £2-3k transactions, although I know PayPal could legally do it to.

At the moment it’s still optional so I’m ok

Great comments - I think I’ll jump ship when it comes to them forcing me to do it

500 impeccable feedback over the last 20 years. I just hate the idea of eBay being able to hold my money on high value £2-3k transactions, although I know PayPal could legally do it to.

At the moment it’s still optional so I’m ok

I had no option and no obvious warning. It just happened. They made a couple of (slow) payments and since then, everything 'declined' I assumed 'declined' meant there was a problem with the bank but no, it's the eBay managed payments system.

I now have found someone to take ownership of the problem but even he has been unable to resolve it so far.

Great post! I argued with PayPal about this a while ago when a buyer changed their mind about a £2k DAC they’d paid me for and they didn’t refund the fee was a total and utter surprise to me and I was certain I’d done it in the past and not lost out!

What’s worse is the customer account was abroad even though I had no way of knowing this as delivery address was UK - so I got charged 5% instead of 3%

Their argument was that it’s down to me to ask every seller where their account was set up even if the shipping address is UK - in order to know if I’ll be charged 3 or 5% fee. Hmmmmm

I decided not to waste any more strength on it after 10 minutes of discussions and just lost the money even though they hadn’t offered me or the buyer any kind of protection because I didn’t ship the goods - and insurance / protection is a lot of what they charge for right?!

Anyhoo.... cnuts the lot of em!!

;)

Apologies for responding to an old thread but has anyone had trouble with eBay constantly wanting updates on payment account information?

I've uploaded bank statements, tried different bank accounts, complied with the bank log in process and requested micro payments as asked for.

They keep saying that information is missing. I've contacted their helpline and they can't say what is missing.
Their complaints department tells me my complaint is resolved when they are still sending emails requesting bank information.

Payments are on hold and my eBay account is no longer usable if I cannot link a bank account to it.

Apologies for responding to an old thread but has anyone had trouble with eBay constantly wanting updates on payment account information?

I've uploaded bank statements, tried different bank accounts, complied with the bank log in process and requested micro payments as asked for.

They keep saying that information is missing. I've contacted their helpline and they can't say what is missing.
Their complaints department tells me my complaint is resolved when they are still sending emails requesting bank information.

Payments are on hold and my eBay account is no longer usable if I cannot link a bank account to it.

This is not unusual sadly.

If you go on to the eBay Community forums, you'll see many many threads with the same issues.

One common denominator is that many are using online banks - Ayden is not a big fan of them. Are you using a bricks and mortar bank or an online one?

I have an update.

After a telecon with eBay, following on from my complaint, it will be the end of the week when further processing can be completed (hopefully).

Hard to believe in this fast digital age that it takes so long to continue selling on an on-line auction site.

Both parties are losing business.

Are you using a bricks and mortar bank or an online one?
On-line saver with a famous bank.
The account I have been using with eBay for years.

I have also offered them a bricks and mortar current account option but they then got confused with hanging blank screens and circles.
So it's back to the original, hopefully.

advertisement

Back