advertisement

New Dual Concentric with Beryllium hf

Suspect the driver's better than the cabinet - looks much too shallow, surely they'll be loads of reflection from rear wall?

Compression driver too. Shame they give no +/- on that frequency response or any other vaguely useful numbers, it's almost like they can barely measure them.

looks much too shallow, surely they'll be loads of reflection from rear wall?

As with anything this side of 'infinite baffle' designs, how good they sound is partly down to how you manage the inevitable internal reflections. I own Heco Direkts and Dreiklangs, which have a not-dissimilar footprint, and they do an acceptable job. I guess the form-factor is dictated by their intended use in cinema installs.

I'd assume there's a waveguide for the compression driver, and the mid-bass only has to handle 55Hz upwards, which should help with overall coherence.

At £7.5K - with those looks - they certainly need to get the sound right, albeit audiophiles are clearly not their target market.

nice ... all these different materials . beryllium of course been around for yonks . magico are using graphene now in some

A new carbon fiber side panel design, an all-graphene midrange and bass driver design, and the phenomenal 28mm diamond coated beryllium tweeter, previously found only in the M-Project, all come together in what is the most sophisticated loudspeaker we have ever created.

https://www.magicoaudio.com/m-series-m3

1.4 throat good out to 20khz points to a 3" dia, 18 Sound and Radian make them.....I've been waiting for Tannoy to move to 3" Be but gave up...be good to see the driver out the cab.

nice ... all these different materials . beryllium of course been around for yonks . magico are using graphene now in some

A new carbon fiber side panel design, an all-graphene midrange and bass driver design, and the phenomenal 28mm diamond coated beryllium tweeter, previously found only in the M-Project, all come together in what is the most sophisticated loudspeaker we have ever created.

https://www.magicoaudio.com/m-series-m3
Maybe one day, with all these sophisticated materials, Magico will find a way to make a speaker that does music :p

Suspect the driver's better than the cabinet - looks much too shallow, surely they'll be loads of reflection from rear wall?

They look as if they are intended to be mounted on or in the wall. In this case wide cabinets will reduce they influence of the wall.

Beryllium appears to be used primarily as a marketing hook in the sense that it is often perceived as "the best" and can be sold with a large markup. When the cone consists of a thin layer of beryllium on top of a conventional metal cone it is a fairly safe bet it has little-to-no engineering purpose. Proper beryllium cones are more expensive than most alternatives (recall a post on diyaudio stating $30(ish) for dome tweeters but cannot find it so perhaps take that with a pinch of salt) and would allow a cone to be larger while keeping the first resonance high enough in frequency to be a non-issue. The marketing (if it includes some form of measurements) however benefits from the resonances being pushed higher than other cones even though there is little-to-no engineering benefit. This can make the cone diameter adopted informative.

The market seems to be moving towards requiring most mainstream top of the range speakers to have beryllium tweeters (or something that can be labelled beryllium) if sales are not to be adversely affected. Seems to be what happens when too many manufacturers pick up on an feature and it stops being a distinguishing one and becomes a required one. Like multiple binding posts for biwiring which after a few decades seems to be fading away and allowing the cost of manufacturing speakers to decrease.

Truextent/ Materion are the main manufacturer of pure beryllium foil hf diaphragms, they supply Radian, JBL, 18Sound, Beyma and Vue Audiotechnic to name a few. These are pro companies not usually associated with BS or foo.I suspect it's a Radian 3" on the back of those 15's They aren't cheap but the audible benefits are beyond question, TAD and Yamaha have been using vapour deposited Be domes for years. The cost is a barrier and there is active materials R &D across the industry to achieve similar or better performance at lower cost.
I've used 4" Truextent comp driver Dias in the past and still have JBL2435be's on SAM1 horns in daily use.

Truextent/ Materion are the main manufacturer of pure beryllium foil hf diaphragms, they supply Radian, JBL, 18Sound, Beyma and Vue Audiotechnic to name a few. These are pro companies not usually associated with BS or foo.I suspect it's a Radian 3" on the back of those 15's They aren't cheap but the audible benefits are beyond question, TAD and Yamaha have been using vapour deposited Be domes for years. The cost is a barrier and there is active materials R &D across the industry to achieve similar or better performance at lower cost.
I've used 4" Truextent comp driver Dias in the past and still have JBL2435be's on SAM1 horns in daily use.

My mistake. I was not talking about compression drivers where the benefits for large diameters are exploited but the widespread use of Beryllium tweeters in home audio speakers. The OP has of course linked to a speaker using a compression driver and not a tweeter.

advertisement

Back