advertisement

New drill time!

cj66

pfm Member
My poor, very old B&D hammer drill (KR700CRE) has finally decided it could not take the abuse any longer.
I was concentrating on making a new 22mm hole up from a 16mm, first of an intended several, when smoke and sudden heat later WTH?! Stopped obviously, retracted from work, removed bit and blipped the trigger, very slow and not a good sound.
Let it cool a bit and opened it up expecting a stripped gear or fried coils. Nothing to see and the chuck is still easy to turn by hand in both directions. Therefore, I'm assuming it's a dead parrott.

What are folk using these days for mainly around the house/business DIY drilling but with occasional heavy-weight needs.
The normal suspects I suppose are DeWalt and Makita (not fan of M after failures).
I don't want an outboard transformer type or cordless but do need something that can take on the odd heavy job here and there e.g. next on the list is some core bit work.
Experienced recommendations sought.
TIA

20240628-165304-copy-1008x567.jpg

20240628-163017-copy-567x1008.jpg

If you intend to core drill anything over 50mm buy a core drill, most drills run far too fast and destroy the diamond coating, go slow and steady with much higher torque and get the job done without destroying the drill in the process. You pick up really cheap stuff that would complete the job. Then buy a decent variable speed corded drill with keyless chuck, hammer, drill and rotostop and your sorted.

I use one of these, more than enough power with lots of torque on tap for the price. I’ve got a Milwaukee multitool, handheld vacuum cleaner and a Brad nailer, all brilliant bits of kit.

All good gear, but not the cheapest.

As an ex plumber/heating bloke/electrician, I started with Makita and ended up using De-Walt(cordless types). If I ever needed to use a core drill, (like has been said) I'd hire a proper drill.
B&D was good stuff yonks ago,(I've still got a percussion drill of theirs that I use, occasionally) so the OP has had a bargain, welcome to the world of inbuilt obsolescence, and just live with it👍

All good gear, but not the cheapest.

As an ex plumber/heating bloke/electrician, I started with Makita and ended up using De-Walt(cordless types). If I ever needed to use a core drill, (like has been said) I'd hire a proper drill.
B&D was good stuff yonks ago,(I've still got a percussion drill of theirs that I use, occasionally) so the OP has had a bargain, welcome to the world of inbuilt obsolescence, and just live with it👍
Still have my dad’s B&D drill on its original stand on my bench. Full metal casing late 70’s I think, still works.

If you have never used an SDS drill you don’t know just how easily they drill brick concrete etc, you don’t have to push hard on a screaming drill as it slowly drills a hole that wanders off line.

Pete

Thanks for all the answers!
Brushes are fine btw.

SDS, never had one before, sounds like I should. I do have a DeWalt hammer drill cordless for standard jobs.

Once you go sds is so easy to do a perfect job every time, I bough t a Bosch blue range drill for about £130 and use it to core drill 110mm holes through brick work . I had a heavy duty makita hammer drill previously ,useless compared to sds.

One other thing to consider with core drills is ideally you should use them with a drill with a clutch. If you use a biggish core drill and it snatches, it can be quite dangerous. (Throw you off a ladder/break your wrist.) I think it is a good idea to hire something suitable when you need to and buy a decent cordless hammer drill with a 4ah or bigger battery. I have a mains SDS drill for masonry and it is much better than the other one, but the other one can easily cope with smaller jobs.
Regards,
Graham

advertisement

Back