advertisement

New Daintees album

awesome, hope it's back to the original sound rather than the later pure folk stuff, the minidisc-church sessions were quite decent though.

Great news, and another excuse to play Gladsome, Humour and Blue when I get home.
I picked up a Stephenson CD called 'High Bells Ring Thin'(?) not long ago. Haven't played it yet, so might put that on first.

Would love to see him play live.

Martin

Martin

High Bells Ring Thin is an album he recorded at the height of the Daintees fame (!) i.e. just after they had been sent to Capitol Records studios in LA to record Salutation Road (approx 1989/90) - an experience Martin absolutely hated. Hence this one is just him and a few mates sitting round and jamming - really cool stuff. It wasn't released until 1993 as a contract filler to get out of his London records deal.

Cheers

Rich

Risible lyrics?

Personally, I didn't laugh at either of these 2 tracks. Duck Bill Blues (from Redman's In Town), however, now that makes me laugh.

Cheers

Rich

Now Donald Duck met Memphis Minnie Mouse
Way back in 1932
Donald asked old Minnie “Have you every dined upon champagne,
Drank it naked, senseless, on a nun, from a shoe?”

Minnie answered “No Siree, but I get the strangest kinda feeling,
That’s what we’s both about to do”.
From the lobby of the hotel Minnie slipped upstairs
With Donald close behind right on cue.

Soon things got kinda frisky due to the overdose on the whisky
And Donald starts ringing Minnie’s bell.

Strange but true, Strange but true, Donald got those duck-billed blues

Suddenly Minnie recalled her Mum’s advice
And all the things she warned her not to do
“Have you a condom on you? “ young Minnie enquired
As things were hotting up just before 2.

With groans to his disorder, Donald phone’s up the night porter
Asks “get a condom sent up here right away, chocolate flavour!”
The porter brings it in and says “shall I put in on your bill?”
Donald says “what kinda pervert do you think I is?!!”

I've always had a soft spot for the Daintees, I went to see Simple Minds as a callow youth at Roundhay park, and they were one of the support acts. I vividly remember Nancy chiming out across the park. One of my favourite live moments ever. Mind you I was an impressionable 17 year old :)

I have been a fan of the Daintees for years, they have a style all of their own.
The first time I heard Salutation Road however, I thought they were running out of steam, but a solo effort by Martin Stephenson rekindled my faith. I will have to check out the new album soon.

advertisement

Back