advertisement

New cordless drill

stevec67

pfm Member
My old cordless drill has let out the magic smoke after a fair bit of abuse over 5 or 6 years. It was an Aldi 14.4V job, I use it a fair bit but I'm not setting up a shopfitting business. I need drilling and screwing, if I want to start brutalising engineering bricks I have a corded drill and another one with SDS fittings.

I need another, budget say £50. Yes I know a DeWalt, charger and 2 batteries can be mine for £300 and will last 20 years, but as I say I'm not setting up a carpentry business.

A Mylek 18V job is on Amazon, looks OK. There are a hill of similar items out there. Any recommendations?

I tend to use whatever is compatible with the batteries I already have, as they're often the expensive bits. What about another from Aldi, so you've then got two useful batteries? (assuming Aldi haven't changed to a different system)

I tend to use whatever is compatible with the batteries I already have

Odd - I have 3 drills that are perfectly OK but the unobtainium batteries died long ago. The older one ought to be thrown I suppose.

Have a search online for deals - I recently bought a DeWalt for not much over £50 with 2 batteries and charger.

Produce that in black and yellow and that is my recently-bought DeWalt

I tend to use whatever is compatible with the batteries I already have, as they're often the expensive bits. What about another from Aldi, so you've then got two useful batteries? (assuming Aldi haven't changed to a different system)
They have changed, it's 6+ years old after all. In any case the old battery is past its best.

I got one of these when I started my bathroom projects. No issues or problems, 2 batteries, charges quite quickly.

https://www.toolstation.com/bauker-...MI1ZrqyJz77wIVDevtCh2d5ga1EAQYASABEgKMOvD_BwE
That looks like a front runner at £50. Keyless chuck and a switch for forward/reverse, I take it?

Edit - 13mm capacity too, that's handy. My old one topped out at 10mm, not a big problem but the odd "oh bugger" moment.

The Baulker stuff is pretty much the cheapest catalogue stuff you can spec out of China. The motors leave a lot to be desired, certainly not smooth running by any stretch.

Just get another Aldi

My DeWalt drill hadn't been used for years,so I tried this trick! . Both batteries are now working fine.

Am I allowed to use this YouTube link?

Last edited:
The Baulker stuff is pretty much the cheapest catalogue stuff you can spec out of China. The motors leave a lot to be desired, certainly not smooth running by any stretch.
Hmm, that's not very encouraging.

My Dewalt drill hadn't been used for years,so I tried this trick!
. Both batteries are now working fine.
My battery's still OK, it was the smoke coming out of the power switch that did for mine. In fact the battery was the least of my problems, I had to take it off before the thing caught fire.

I have 3 drills that are perfectly OK but the unobtainium batteries died long ago. The older one ought to be thrown I suppose.

I came across one of those recently - don't throw it, add a cheap pair of croc leads where the battery used to be.
This was a no-name '12v' drill, and the battery was toast over a decade ago. Run off the /a car battery for whizzing fasteners etc on the project car it produces way more torque than the weedy NIMH pack did originally... and I don't care if that kills it (obvs - as it now draws up to 18A at stall, it will if I do that often!). It's turned landfill into a really punchy tool.

drillfix_600px.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, that's not very encouraging.

My battery's still OK, it was the smoke coming out of the power switch that did for mine. In fact the battery was the least of my problems, I had to take it off before the thing caught fire.
Hi Steve,
Sorry! I should have read the post more thoroughly!

After weeding out the obvious scams there is a MacAllister one in Screwfix, 2 batteries, charger, looks OK and I like the fact that there is a bricks and mortar shop to return it to if it dies, unlike posting it back to Shenzen Business Park 15, middle of nowhere, guaranteed lost in the post, The Moon. Anyone had similar?

After weeding out the obvious scams there is a MacAllister one in Screwfix, 2 batteries, charger, looks OK and I like the fact that there is a bricks and mortar shop to return it to if it dies, unlike posting it back to Shenzen Business Park 15, middle of nowhere, guaranteed lost in the post, The Moon. Anyone had similar?
Bought a MacAllister hedge trimmer which seems better than the Bosch it replaced, the Screwfix comments from tradesmen are a good guide I think - but they could be bogus of course!

Bought a MacAllister hedge trimmer which seems better than the Bosch it replaced, the Screwfix comments from tradesmen are a good guide I think - but they could be bogus of course!
There are hundreds, that would take some typing up. In addition there are sufficient "couldn't make it up" stupid comments to make them genuine. A sample: "I chose this drill because it has 2 speeds, making it ideal for a woman". Erm... Sorry, what?

advertisement

Back