advertisement

New Chord Powerhaus Mains Block - a mere £2000

Its like people who buy £50K watches or even £500 watches, makes no sense to some as a £7.99 Casio will do the same thing. Same with cars, fridges, wardrobes etc Can't say I found Narnia in the back of a £10k wardrobe.

We buy what we want to buy and manufacturers will sell what they want to sell.

We have a choice not to buy.

Its like people who buy £50K watches or even £500 watches, makes no sense to some as a £7.99 Casio will do the same thing. Same with cars, fridges, wardrobes etc Can't say I found Narnia in the back of a £10k wardrobe.

Indeed, some people buy hifi for function alone others for bragging rights, or just the pride of ownership. Nothing wrong with either. But Patek doesn't claim they keep better time than a quartz casio.

Indeed, some people buy hifi for function alone others for bragging rights, or just the pride of ownership. Nothing wrong with either. But Patek doesn't claim they keep better time than a quartz casio.

I cant see anything on that Chord page that claims it does anything other thsan being an improvement over standard ones. Which judging by the design and the casing, thats sure an improvement right there, so its accurate.

https://chord.co.uk/product/powerhaus-m6-mains-distribution-block/

Which although I havent tried the Chord one, I have just bought an an IFI one and its done plenty.

fairly similar marketing to your favoured Patek brand

https://www.patek.com/en/company/news/patek-philippe-advanced-research-fortissimo-ref-5750p

A NEW TYPE OF SOUND PROPAGATION

'With its unique fortissimo “ff” system'

Crowned by four patents, the fortissimo module offers the harmonic quality and acoustic richness ..

Lol.

But Patek doesn't claim they keep better time than a quartz casio.

The bottom line.
t2724.gif

...and no, despite all the waffle in their ad linked in post #6, Patek does not claim to keep better time than a cheap quartz watch.

Whereas Chord...?

It’s not really like those other things though because here Chord are suggesting it does a better job than a basic mains block, whereas Patek or Lange don’t make any such claims for their more expensive versions.

It’s not really like those other things though because here Chord are suggesting it does a better job than a basic mains block, whereas Patek or Lange don’t make any such claims for their more expensive versions.

Ive covered this in my post above.

Already, visually, it does a better job.

To swiftly summarise what will inevitably be a long thread: everything in everyone’s system should be of the same price and ideology as that of the poster making the comment. Anything more than that is vulgar ostentation, anything less cheap tat.

Carry on…

Ive covered this in my post above.

Already, visually, it does a better job.

They don’t make claims of visual superiority though. They suggest it functions better as a mains block in terms of avoiding interference and sound quality. Someone could still buy it solely because they like the construction, of course. That still doesn’t make a parallel with the £50k watches though because each product has a different marketing focus. Chord claim a functional/practical value, Patek claim an aesthetic/artistic value.

They don’t make claims of visual superiority though. They suggest it functions better as a mains block in terms of avoiding interference and sound quality. Someone could still buy it solely because they like the construction, of course. That still doesn’t make a parallel with the £50k watches though because each product has a different marketing focus. Chord claim a functional/practical value, Patek claim an aesthetic/artistic value.

Do they though?

LMAO, Its funny how justifications happen to oppose one thing and accept another to fit ones own rhetoric.

Well coming clean, I have a Niagara 1200 and in my system it definitely made an improvement. Picked up second hand so whilst maybe not a bargain, not as bad as it might have been. As always, worth trying on a return basis if you are sceptical.

Do they though?

LMAO, Its funny how justifications happen to oppose one thing and accept another to fit ones own rhetoric.

It’s pretty simple, Chord claim to have made a mains block that does a better job than a basic one in terms of its practical function - supplying energy to a hi-fi system. That is the basis of their marketing, not artistry and craftsmanship. Patek on the other hand, do not claim to have made a watch that does a better job than a £7.99 Casio from a basic standpoint of timekeeping and reliability, but do claim those other two things. Therefore, a mechanical watch which costs 7000x more than a Casio and a mains block which costs more than a white one from B&Q can’t be compared as equivalents.

advertisement

Back