Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

New Celestion Ditton 66s.

Discussion in 'classic' started by newnaim, Nov 25, 2021 at 11:03 AM.

1. newnaim

newnaim Active Member

ALCHRIS AUDIO have come up with a replica Celestion Ditton 66 speaker. This has a similar look and based on the sound signature of the classic original speakers. There are a few innovations to improve the design and sound so looking forward to hearing this, the model number is the ALCHRIS AR 66. Price around £ 4500.

ToTo Man and Fatmarley like this.
  2. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

I wasn't expecting that! Very interesting indeed. Good to see that the acoustic centres between the HF/MF and MF/LF are as close as practical.

I notice the LF/MF crossover point is 450Hz instead of 500Hz which suggests the new dome mid is capable of handling larger excursions than the original, especially if they're claiming a power handling of 300w for the complete loudspeaker.

newnaim likes this.
  3. DGP

DGP pfm Member

I also note the floor standers come with delivery and installation - can't be bad. DGP

newnaim likes this.
  4. julesd68

julesd68 pfm Member

I was looking at these speakers the other day and they could be a contender for me.

But I'm a little scared by the notion of a 'sound signature' - what exactly might this be?

5. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

All loudspeaker designs have a 'sound signature', this is what makes one design sound different from another.
    One would assume the AR-66 has been designed to sound similar to the original Ditton 66.

6. julesd68

julesd68 pfm Member

For 4.5K I would expect it to sound a lot better than a vintage speaker as the design blurb implies, even if it is a classic.

Are loudspeaker producers looking to give each design a ‘sound signature’ as such? Surely we want them to be as neutral as the rest of our systems. Like when I’ve heard certain TAD speakers, they just don’t draw attention to any particular aspect of the sound and I just marvel at their transparency and overall cohesion.

Of course different components and designs give different sounds, but a recognisable ‘signature’ as such isn’t something I want imposed on the music, much the same as ‘house sounds’ don’t appeal to me.

Just my take on it.

7. newnaim

newnaim Active Member

I think we have to accept that all speakers have a house sound ,if not lots of speakers would just sound the same ,just compare a pair of Harbeth, JBL, Quad ,Naim SBLs, all sound different some good for Classical music, some for Rock ,transparence speakers can sound horrible with some Rock music ,this is all down to personal taste and type of music you listen to.

just my take on it.

8. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

It's a classic design and 2nd hand prices are Garard stupid these days for a good pair. Not my mug of bovril though...

9. julesd68

julesd68 pfm Member

If a loudspeaker can't sound great with all different types of music there's something wrong with the design or the rest of the system being used with them. My old Tannoys sounded awesome with classical but never quite gave me what I wanted from rock / pop so I moved them on.

10. Fatmarley

Fatmarley Agnostic

It looks like the Scanspeak D7608/920010. A nice feature is the grill protection behind the dome to stop it being pushed in.

ToTo Man likes this.