advertisement

New cartridge for A&R EB101

Using stock tonearm? Phono stage - assume MM or can you use MC too? Likely get better recommendations if you say.

Lots of choice, Hana EH or an AT HOMC maybe OC9 old stock.

If you just fancy a change, the ATVM95ML will compete with the 1042 even though it's half the price thanks to the superb stylus.

Otherwise if MC is an option I'd agree with Mr Amber and track down the OC9II, or the 33PTGII if you can find one at the budget.

Assuming the stock tonearm, I'd stick with decent MMs, or perhaps give a Denon DL-110 HOMC a go for something different.

Last edited:
I’d echo Craig’s Denon DL110 suggestion. I’ve owned two, 20 years apart, a real “Why pay more?” product.

I was looking at a 103 but isn't the mass of my arm a bit on the low side, I believe the effective mass is 12gms for my arm but I have to admit I've always wanted to try a Denon 103.

The arm on the AR isn't good enough to get the good out of a MC. It would be a waste of money.

The 1042 you have is probably a pretty good sonic match for the deck and an Audio Technica MM would be too. I'm pretty confident that if you buy a cheap Denon MC you'll be rather underwhelmed if not totally disappointed.

If you want to upgrade your vinyl, buy a better deck. You should get £200 for the AR, plus the £300 and you're in range of a current Planar3. If I were you, that's what I would do.

IIRC the stock arm is a Jelco built device similar to the old Mission 774LC?

I'd differ with Mr P and say that's a decent arm if the bearings are still good with no obvious play - in old money it would be Linn Basik LVX+ quality and perfectly OK for a medium compliance MC like the DL110 or one of the AT designs.
I wouldn't use the 103 however which is low compliance and really wants something more substantial.

Food for thought, I could up my budget for a better deck but would a Planar 3 be an upgrade over the A&R, I know the arm on the Rega is very good but I get your point on the arm I have now with the eb101.

Food for thought, I could up my budget for a better deck but would a Planar 3 be an upgrade over the A&R..

Yip.

It's just a..'cleverer' package. Simpler in someways than the AR but those compromises are well judged and the understanding of turntable design as a whole is up several notches. The really obvious upgrade is the arm. The AR arm is indeed more or less the same as the Misson mentioned, and several others, and was a decent budget arm in it's day but the arm on the Planar3 is a different league. And that matters a lot.

Yes, a MC will work on the AR arm, sound will come out and it may be pleasant, but put the 1042 you already have on a Rega arm and you'll be shocked. Plus the Rega arm is genuinely good enough to cope with almost any MC you throw at it.

I have a lovely EB101 here just now which I'll be selling soon. Nice decks and a great turntable for a couple of hindered quid but things have moved on.

I wouldn’t be so hasty in selling your EB101

A good service and it would still be competitive with a Rega P3 - in some ways maybe preferable.

Back in the day they were fitted with Glanz cartridges and sounded more complete than the old Planar 3.

A Nagaoka MP 110 would make it groovy

The Denon 103 will not be a good mechanical match for the stock tonearm on the AR EB101, because of its very low compliance value. The G1042 is a very nice cartridge, you could try one of the new Goldrings, or try a Nagoka MP series.

advertisement

Back