advertisement

New Bluesound Node Released

I've had a great deal of experience with the Node; right back to the original. It's a very good bit of kit with a great app.

I now have an Aries G1, which is a far superior product. Noticeably 'better' as a digital transport and more flexible. So, I disagree that the Node is 'close'; whether the improvement the G1 brings is 'worth' it is down to the purchaser.

That is the first direct comparison of an owner between the Node 2i and the G1, I was initially sceptical of the broad comparison.
I purchased the stock 2i after Christmas and the overall package impressed me especially the user interface app but general presentation was still well short of my CD transport / Chord dac, I then chose to upgrade the power supply board / SBooster linear power supply which did indeed improve the sound especially the bass but alas it still did not match my Cyrus signature / Chord DAC combo (I used the Node 2i digital out into the Chord with a ripped copy of the cd into SSD drive).
I find the hi frequency / top end missing when played back on the node, the ATC actives are very revealing of differences in every change.
My question is do I have a dud or is this the sound signature of the node, I am aware that the Cyrus sound can be forward and revealing but I have used my opus 21 and audio analogue cd players with similar results.

I’ve had the Node and the Auralic Aries Mini then G2 so purely anecdotal comments. The Node is excellent, the Aries Mini+LPSU sounded better comparing analogue out, digital out very little in it but still preferred the Aries, don’t recall anywhere near as much difference as you’re describing though. I ran them into a Cyrus Pre2DAC and Lyngdorf integrated.

I went to the Aries G2 which was considerably better (accepting differences between streamers is small compared to other items like speakers) and has exactly the same engine as the G1, the actual hardware differences are minimal, internal disk option, lightning link and galvanic isolation. More air/space/detail at the top.

More air/space/detail at the top, that is exactly what I am missing.
I just thought that the Node 2i used as a digital transport into an expensive DAC would be similar to a CD player into the same DAC.
I was hoping that the power supply upgrade would improve this aspect but it didn't.

More air/space/detail at the top, that is exactly what I am missing.
I just thought that the Node 2i used as a digital transport into an expensive DAC would be similar to a CD player into the same DAC.
I was hoping that the power supply upgrade would improve this aspect but it didn't.
A popular opinion is the Streamer/Digital Player/Network bridge makes absolutely no difference. I don't personally agree with that based on what I've owned/built, but accept that it is usually a small difference. The same used to be said about CD Transports into DACs and you could use any old thing, again I don't agree.

I found that linear power supplies made no difference with the Aries boxes as far as digital out goes - zilch. Maybe it's the same with the Node although their PSU upgrades are internal are they not, so you'd think everything would get a bit of a lift.

Much excitement about a $8 commodity item.
For me, it’s how the DAC sounds & is it worth the ££ they are charging for it.
Same as anything else.
It’s irrelevant to me how much individual components cost, unless I was a DIY’er who reckoned I could make something that blows the big boys out the water for a fraction of their price.
Which I’m not.

advertisement

Back