advertisement

New Bearing for LP12--The Karousel

Perhaps the Rega lid is not injection moulded, not seen one, could be vac formed or compression moulded, much cheaper method.
Mr Pig, do you have any idea how much an injection mould tool costs? They are not cheap.

Its probably pertinent that Roy Gandy owns a plastics moulding company.

...and that he’s been making the same lid since the 1970s! I still think it is a hell of a bargain if it really is only £40 including packaging, shipping and dealer mark-up. Can’t be any profit in that at all, likely a loss.

How is that relevant?
You are complying about costs and using toilet valves as examples but have no apparent idea of the cost of tooling that’s needed to make parts. Tooling cost needs to be recovered in the piece price amortised over the expected volume

By weight theres about £1.50 of material in a rega lid, assuming its virgin pmma. Tooling, 5k every 5 years, let's say 5p per lid. If he owns the factory then fabrication and storage £2 per. Certainly less than £5 cost each, £5 for packaging. I reckon Rega can have them ready to go out the door at about a tenner.

Linn on the other have them made by a third party in much smaller numbers and as such is likely to be 3x the cost or more.

Na, I reckon lots of products cost far less to make than we think they do. A lid is a single piece of injection moulded plastic. I mentioned the toilet syphon I bought which was an assembly of parts with washers, plastic nuts etc in there too and it cost less than a fish supper.

If it was injection moulded it cost a lot more. I mean a LOT more. Ever asked how much a mold for injection moulding is? and you need to make thousands to recover the cost. I reckon most lids are thermoformed from pre-made sheet. Much less expensive to deal with. The toilet syphon will be made in much larger numbers than a turntable lid, in batches, over a long number of years.

They're Inejection moulded, linn hid the sprue under the badge.

My numbers are based of having designed and sourced large plastic moulded parts in the past couple of years.

I wouldn't be surprised if rega make enough lids for them to keep one old machine hanging round just to make that one line.

Perhaps Rega, like the rest of the world, has their injection mould tooling made in China and can thus reduce the cost of the lid.

I would think the Linn lid needs a steel tool and also highly polished to get the clear mark free finish. Projected area is quite large even if the design is simple. So will need quite a large tonnage press to achieve the clamp force.

...Certainly less than £5 cost each, £5 for packaging. I reckon Rega can have them ready to go out the door at about a tenner...

Let's say we accept your estimates, which I don't incidentally. Even if Gandy owns the company, they still need to operate legally and profitably and packing and transportation costs should be similar for both lids. But let's say the Rega lid costs £10 shipped and the Linn one £30. You don't think a retail price of £150 for the Linn one is still excessive??

But it doesn't matter how you cut it. The two lids are similar enough that Linn's being three times the price can only be an indictment. Either the profit margin on the Linn lid is excessive or Rega are a more efficient company. I suspect a bit of both.

I think the price difference entirely covered by production volume and outsourced manufacture. In terms of margin I'd bet both are actually within 10%

advertisement

Back