advertisement

New ATC centre channel speaker at Abbey Road?

AndyU

pfm Member
Here’s what must be a splendid studio at Abbey Road kitted out for Atmos multi-channel with loads of ATC speakers. The centre channel looks like a new ATC100 with a vertical, symmetrical arrangement of drive units. Anyone seen one for real, or know anything about it?

https://fb.watch/8A7EqmX7jR/

Not seen for real but pretty positive I know of a forum member who has the 50 with a symmetrical arrangement for a vertical centre, for their home surround set up.

Here’s what must be a splendid studio at Abbey Road kitted out for Atmos multi-channel with loads of ATC speakers. The centre channel looks like a new ATC100 with a vertical, symmetrical arrangement of drive units. Anyone seen one for real, or know anything about it?

https://fb.watch/8A7EqmX7jR/
I didn't know they did centres like that, but from the April 2001 professional price list I see you can get vertically-aligned centres in various sizes. I'm not sure how new this is as I haven't perused earlier professional kit price lists.

EDIT (typo): that should read April 2021 professional price list.

Talking of atc100. The cat has been jumping up on mine and had managed to knock it off centre and as discovered this morning a mm or two from falling off the stand and going straight through the French window and into the garden. For some reason I couldn’t realign it on its stand, as it was stuck and ended up sliding it and the other one to match , off the stand altogether and on to the floor. So now they are both on the floor, taking up less space and sounding OK. Can I leave them like that ? Cos I can’t lift them back on my own

I didn't know they did centres like that, but from the April 2001 professional price list I see you can get vertically-aligned centres in various sizes. I'm not sure how new this is as I haven't perused earlier professional kit price lists.
Looks like ATC are establishing themselves in the ATMOS market. They have equipped an extraordinary studio in the USA with three ATC SCM300ASL loudspeakers in LCR position, 12 ATC SCM100ASL surround speakers and six ATC SCM1-15ASL Subwoofers, which would have been a very nice order to take.

https://vintageking.com/blog/2019/09/blackbird-dolby-atmos/

Atmos common for years with 100s speakers over Ethernet-based Audio-Over-IP network. The AES67/Ravenna and Dante

Mixed-on-HEDD.jpg

I stand to be corrected however I believe Dolby Laboratories and Sony/Philips developed Atmos and DSD respectively using ATC monitors.

ATC Professional. Reference monitoring.

Talking of atc100. The cat has been jumping up on mine and had managed to knock it off centre and as discovered this morning a mm or two from falling off the stand and going straight through the French window and into the garden. For some reason I couldn’t realign it on its stand, as it was stuck and ended up sliding it and the other one to match , off the stand altogether and on to the floor. So now they are both on the floor, taking up less space and sounding OK. Can I leave them like that ? Cos I can’t lift them back on my own

Wait, your cat landed with enough force to displace a pair 100s? I'dike to see that cat!

Slightly off topic but my 4.0 system beats a proper cinema system for realism and a sense of being right there hands down. And the crazy thing is, it's not even close!

For example, I went to see the latest Bond film last week and although the sound system could do big volume really well, it still seemed as though I was watching something on a screen over there because the audio didn't bring it to life, as it were - despite what cinema marketing video claimed beforehand. But on my system, the audio makes you feel as though what's happening is real and that you're practically on set, almost as if you're the camera guy.

I think we need to see this in the thread! WTF! >

BlackBirdDolbyVintageKing.jpg.pagespeed.ce.W4tOB5rwNw.jpg
Does the centre SCM110 look (at least at the top) like it is a symmetrical version?

I think the professional enclosures are made on-premises so doing that for any of the product that uses a baffle would be a special order, but probably quite simple to execute.

Does the centre SCM110 look (at least at the top) like it is a symmetrical version?

Yes, well spotted, it does look symmetrical. It’s more obvious in the video about Blackbird studios. But if the link I originally posted is correct the front speakers are 3 SCM300ASL Pros. (With 6 15” subs!)

advertisement

Back