advertisement

New ATC amp packs

Switchable input sensitivity (1V/2V) and 6db of trim, bass cut as well as boost, little knobs to adjust them rather than fiddly recessed screws. They say the amp is "much improved" with 10dB less THD in both amps. "Can only be safely used lower than 2000 metres altitude" though. Wonder where the new tweeter is? And if these amp changes will move up the range.

Switchable input sensitivity (1V/2V) and 6db of trim, bass cut as well as boost, little knobs to adjust them rather than fiddly recessed screws. They say the amp is "much improved" with 10dB less THD in both amps. "Can only be safely used lower than 2000 metres altitude" though. Wonder where the new tweeter is? And if these amp changes will move up the range.

The new tweeter is on this model, if you zoom into the photo you can see it is 'atc' branded. Bass EQ is -2dB to + 3dB.

I'd like to hear these, I wonder how they compare to the 25As?...

Hi Lefty

I believe the new SCM20ASL Pro monitors will have a RRP of £4300.

All the best

Rick @ musicraft

I would love to try SCM25As, but even used they are over my budget. I am only able to consider the PMCs because they are being offered with a good discount.

Lefty

Hi AndyU

I'll need to look into this.

In the meantime i take it that you've had a look at the Super SH26-76's Technical Data?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Interesting - that puts them direct against the PMC TwoTwo 6 which I currently have ok home dem....

Lefty

Look forward to hearing your opinion of the two two 6s; they seem to be a lot of loudspeaker for the money. And you don't need a DAC!

Sure thing Andy - I've been listening all day and will write my impressions sometime tomorrow in the 'ME Geithain vs PMC' thread.

The trouble with the digital input is:

• It's AES balanced for which I can't find a source.
  • You would have to find a way of controlling the volume from your digital source which obviously isn't ideal.

Lefty

For anyone who is interested I have been comparing the new and old tweeter on the consumer range SCM19s.
The new tweeter produces a more detailed and stronger HF. I would say however the new ATC sounded disappointing until it had around 100 hours of moderate run in. Initially the mid and treble seemed disparate and detached but over time they start to integrate and finally they sound completely fused and produce that superb. ATC sound this time with a subtle HF dynamics and detail. Great stuff.. But you need to be patient.
Simon

Sure thing Andy - I've been listening all day and will write my impressions sometime tomorrow in the 'ME Geithain vs PMC' thread.

The trouble with the digital input is:

• It's AES balanced for which I can't find a source.
  • You would have to find a way of controlling the volume from your digital source which obviously isn't ideal.

Lefty

I demoed 226s, the AES input is very forgiving on source - i used a phono to xlr coaxial cable from my spdif output. The lack of volume control is a pain, PMC do a remote but i think it is stupid money.

I was not a fan of these speakers at all, I thought they were very detailed in a very cold and unappealing way and made for an unpleasant listen. I guess they may have improved over time but I returned them after a few days.

I demoed 226s, the AES input is very forgiving on source - i used a phono to xlr coaxial cable from my spdif output. The lack of volume control is a pain, PMC do a remote but i think it is stupid money.

I was not a fan of these speakers at all, I thought they were very detailed in a very cold and unappealing way and made for an unpleasant listen. I guess they may have improved over time but I returned them after a few days.

Thanks for the feedback - what speakers did you go for in the end?

Lefty

Weiss or the new M2Tech Young/DSD , both have variable analogue output, the Young has an analogue attenuator, both have AES balanced out.
Keith.

Thanks for the feedback - what speakers did you go for in the end?

Lefty

I went for ATC 25A, which isn't really a fair comparison with 226s I suppose seeing as they are much more expensive and 3-way. I should add that I am using them as monitors in my studio, where they do an excellent job and the midrange detail is excellent. The RRP on the 25A's is crazy though, they are not worth that much in my opinion so I would advise anyone looking to track down a much better price from a dealer.

Opinion seems to be split on the 25As in the pro world, some people love them, but others think they are overpriced and not in the same ballpark as the 50ASLs (or other similarly priced active pro monitors).

I'm not sure I'd have 25As as my home listening speakers tbh - they really show the difference between recordings, which is obviously essential in the mixing environment, but maybe not so fun at home!

advertisement

Back