advertisement

New 2MR Cartridges

Black is hopeless? Ah, hopelessly expensive, maybe.
It is an old 70´s design with a bought-in Japanese tip, R&D is close to zero I guess.
For what it’s worth, I have an old Dual 1978 deck that has the same generator.
‘Modern’ OM stylii fit perfectly.

1657333371764-png.1070564

what fettling ?

Setting up. My mistake! But these carts alongside the Ortofofon Cadenza Black have a well known history of being very fussy when setting up. I've got both, one sits on a SME V and the other on a SME V-12. Everyone knows how well SME design tonearms, cart installation is usually a piece of cake.

The Shibata has to be very precisely aligned.
I’ve known that since I bought a Satin back in the early 80’s.

Why the hate for the 2M Red- have it in the lounge system and it sounds fantastic bolted to an Audionote Arm 1v2 and modifies SL1200MK2....
Beats me, I’ve had three (I know…), and even with all my experience and different equipment I couldn’t get them to sound (or track) decent. An AT91 (Rega Carbon) is just a better alrounder.
The 2M Blue however is good 👍.

I don’t think much of the 95E. A dull device if you ask me. The Carbon is okay, a little brighter but can’t track very well at end of sides.

I don’t think much of the 95E. A dull device if you ask me. The Carbon is okay, a little brighter but can’t track very well at end of sides.
The AT95e and VM95e are not the same but I don't think you could call any of them dull. Both are brighter than the Carbon/3600L. I don't what you've been smoking? ;0)

The Tonar E-flip is an elliptical stylus version of the AT91/Carbon, amazing detail for £50.

But I'm also looking forward to the ND7, having heard it.

The AT95e and VM95e are not the same but I don't think you could call any of them dull. Both are brighter than the Carbon/3600L. I don't what you've been smoking? ;0)
I have the Carbon, the 3600, the VM95e. I don’t smoke or do drugs 😉

The brightness depends very much on input capacitance IME. The old 95e works well with standard Rega wiring & 100pF. The 3600L works with 100pF too but might benefit from a little more. I find the VM95ML unacceptably rolled off at 100pF. I haven’t tried increasing the capacitance but did try the ML stylus on the old 95e. High frequencies were restored but I found the sound unbearably ‘hard’.

I’ve never tried a 2M cartridge. I do have an old Ortofon of some kind with a conical stylus in the spares box that was my first cartridge. I have no idea now how it sounded.

advertisement

Back