advertisement

Never say never....a $10,000/1 meter power cable?!*

It was $10000 a few days ago. Never mind credibility, seems inflation might be a bigger problem.

Could be the new improved MKII of course...
ooh yes, oops! No idea where the 12 thing came from, unless it was from the £240 shirt. Now a £10k cable is a different matter: quite sensible, a basic essential.

Are you crazy? That's almost 5% of a new Ferrari!

a) I don't own this cable and I did not spend the money on it.
b) This was purchased by a friend second hand for a very good price (OK....even used it costs more than a functional used car)
c) It really, REALLY boosts the performance of the TeddyDAC-VR.
d) I prefer a Nissan Sentra and good audio gear over a Ferrari and Bose.

b) This was purchased by a friend second hand for a very good price (OK....even used it costs more than a functional used car)
Does anyone pay full price for cable? 200% markups allow heavy discounting to seem attractive, a bit like actually paying full price for carpets or bed linen

Soooooooo......
0921201624a.jpg

0921201624-HDR.jpg

....I did end up testing the newer, improved D2 version of the Ansuz Diamond Mainz power cord. I had two runs of the D1 and one run of the D2 (as well as the Ansuz DIN5 interconnect that I did not try). For the extra few kilobucks the D2 has a nice silver barrel as compared to the less blingy matte black barrel of the D1.
Sonically, they are quite different too. The TeddyDac likes the D2. Of course it is highly disingenous putting a $18k power cord on a $1.5k DAC.
But this is the equivalent of 'stupid pet tricks with the Supercap' that was done decades ago....pairing the SC with very unlikely sources like a CD3.5, NAC42.5, Headline, Nait3R etc. Very entertaining, but not an end-goal.

I didn't try the Ansuz power cords (couldn't afford them) but recently got a used Acrolink Mexcel PC9700. They cost about £3,200 / $4,000 retail price. I am surely elated with the sound quality from the system when this cord is connected to the amp. Since I only have one of these cords, I switched the cord from the amp to DAC and there is a difference in sound quality. The cord on the amp produces a better sound than on the DAC.

I am planning to acquire another similar cord to reap the full benefits of the Acrolink Mexcel. It's an outstanding power cable at its price range especially when bought used.

IMG-20200824-201944.jpg

IMG-20200824-202122.jpg

I see on your profile that you are currently studying for a PhD in Physics, so you know a little about Science. Enough to explain how the electricity is improved by the cables you are trying. It'd be great to hear this from you.
Thanks.
ps. Please don't start any technical papers with soooooooooooooooooo. :)

I’d also be interested to hear what a physicist thinks these cables do to the electronic signal that makes them worth their money. Perhaps he has access to special electrons.

a) I don't own this cable and I did not spend the money on it.
c) It really, REALLY boosts the performance of the TeddyDAC-VR.
d) I prefer a Nissan Sentra and good audio gear over a Ferrari and Bose.
Great, I can't wait for this technology to be applied to the rest of the domestic wiring and to internal component wiring. How does it work?

I’d also be interested to hear what a physicist thinks these cables do to the electronic signal that makes them worth their money. Perhaps he has access to special electrons.

Great, I can't wait for this technology to be applied to the rest of the domestic wiring and to internal component wiring. How does it work?
Might we start by finding out if we have a consensus as to what an electrical current actually is?

Might we start by finding out if we have a consensus as to what an electrical current actually is?
But before that it would be good to reach a consensus as to what "actually is" actually means. You know, "the meaning of meaning" sort of thing. Until we have a satisfactory definiton of that, all the claims made by the OP must be considered true. That is the way subjectivist audio works.

But before that it would be good to reach a consensus as to what "actually is" actually means. You know, "the meaning of meaning" sort of thing. Until we have a satisfactory definiton of that, all the claims made by the OP must be considered true. That is the way subjectivist audio works.
Well, leaving aside the intentionally contentious (and slightly ad-hom) second and third sentences, I'm content to clarify that 'actually is' here means: what is the intrinsic nature of an electric current? I'm familiar with its scientific definition, but that doesn't explain the fundamental nature of what an electric current actually is. For a start, it doesn't define 'charge carrier', nor for that matter 'charge'. And given that the most common charge carrier in an electrical circuit is said to be an electron, what is an electron. Is it a wave (ie, is an electrical current a wave) or is it a particle (ie, an electrical current is a flow of physical particles)?

Basically, when you get right down to it, physics doesn't describe or explain these fundamental things, it simply defines them. And it does so by reference to their effect on other things, which themselves are neither described nor explained, but simply defined in their turn. Often by reference to observed phenomena in relation to other 'merely defined' things.

So, for example, a force is a thing that can act on a mass. And a mass is a thing which can be acted on by a force. We're none the wiser as to what each actually is, are we?

Last edited:
The point being that those who call upon the gods of science to shout down the subjectivist viewpoint, might pause and take a moment to examine their hubris before criticising others in such absolute and disparaging terms. Engineering is essentially applied physics, and physics actually knows jack shit about the fundamental nature of anything.

Yup. Maybe when we can measure what goes on inside our heads, we'll begin to have a clue as to where to start looking, and perhaps what to measure.

advertisement

Back