advertisement

Never say never....a $10,000/1 meter power cable?!*

I can 100% see why a Ferrari would cost more than a golf or a Porsche...
Frankly, I can’t, especially the Porsche. Engineering is engineering, and raw materials don’t cost more just because they’re destined for a Ferrari. So if you can, I suspect it might be that you’re more sympathetic to the idea of a Ferrari, than a boutique mains lead. That’s fine, but it might be skewing your objectivity a bit. Ferrari pricing is about Veblen goods, just like fancy cables and ultra high-end hifi.

My worry is that every time someone puts one of these mains cables into their system so much RF and bad karma gets reflected back into the national grid that everyone else suffers.
OMG! You're probably right. Brexit is most likely down to my mains leads.

Soz. ;)

10k is a lot to pay for any cable but most of the stuff involved in this hobby is overpriced. My two main cartridges are listed at £15k along with an expensive Turntable they provide the level of music I enjoy. However without a pair of £15 inline attenuators and a £500 regenerator none of my system would operate properly.

Some one running a fairly good and cheap system will have enjoyment as might someone with 10K to spend on a super system. Some one on here uses freebie interconnects, which I personally chuck out. My system is ok but with 10k to spend I would spend on some decent mono recording and a better mono cartridge.

Its supposed to be fun!!!!!!!!!

I am not sure it is, spending £300k on a system would be equally daft.

I can 100% see why a Ferrari would cost more than a golf or a Porsche but we are talking about a bit of wire which has no benefit whatsoever.

What's the actual benefit of a Ferrari?

Other than the possible boost of making you feel your dick's a bit bigger?

Sadly, even that would likely be down to the intrusion of expectation bias. But don't worry, no need for anyone to show their measurements...

Frankly, I can’t, especially the Porsche. Engineering is engineering, and raw materials don’t cost more just because they’re destined for a Ferrari. So if you can, I suspect it might be that you’re more sympathetic to the idea of a Ferrari, than a boutique mains lead. That’s fine, but it might be skewing your objectivity a bit. Ferrari pricing is about Veblen goods, just like fancy cables and ultra high-end hifi.
Ferraris are made in lower volumes. They have brand cache, they run an F1 team etc etc

The R&D into these bogus cables is bugger all, just a complete con for the gullible.

Last edited:

Other than the possible boost of making you feel your dick's a bit bigger?

Sadly, even that would likely be down to the intrusion of expectation bias. But don't worry, no need for anyone to show their measurements...
It has brand cache, it may go faster, it may look nicer etc. I can see why someone would want a Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin etc.

I probably wouldn’t drive one even if I could afford one but a piece of mains cable?

No chance.

Ferrari’s are made in lower volumes. They have brand cache, they run an F1 team etc etc

The R&D into these bogus cables is bugger all, just a complete con for the gullible.

All relative?

I seem to recall that when MacLaren originally announced their 'supercar,' Gordon Murray was asked if it would be similar to a Ferrari?

The answer was "I shouldn't think so, there's no-one at Maclaren who can weld that badly..."

All relative?

I seem to recall that when MacLaren originally announced their 'supercar,' Gordon Murray was asked if it would be similar to a Ferrari?

The answer was "I shouldn't think so, there's no-one at Maclaren who can weld that badly..."
Not really, Maclaren use a number of highly innovative engineering solutions, carbon fibre chassis etc.

Gordon Murray is an actual design genius to remotely compare him to a bunch of cable chancers is ridiculous.

Ferrari always used to say that you pay for the engine & the car comes free but there is actual tech involved in car manufacturer.

Well I guess if some peeps can believe Coronavirus is caused by 5G radio signals, then anything goes really. Forget science and engineering, facts, reason and logic... just have faith...lol.. It appears to me that many an audiophile who would be sucked in by this sort of thing would be better off spending the money seeing a psychiatrist and working through their very unhealthy obsessions. Could actually save quite a bit of money in the bargain...

Probably best to ask that on a super car, sports car or owners forum, I can't say as I know of any benefits of Ferraris but they are one of the top sports car marques, the Italian thoroughbred with lots of sporting history, I've only ever met two Ferrari owners , one a classic car collector, the other a suçessful business lady.

I’ve never been in a position where I can spend ten thousand clams without considerably deliberation, thought and hard work, so I’m immune to high-end wire purchases through impecunity if nothing else, though I would hope that incredulity would also be a factor.

All I can say is that if fishies want to fiddle with the sound of their system, they could do a whole lot worse than adding a Schiit Loki. Best 150 clams I’ve spent.

Joe

I’ve never been in a position where I can spend ten thousand clams without considerably deliberation, thought and hard work, so I’m immune to high-end wire purchases through impecunity if nothing else, though I would hope that incredulity would also be a factor.

All I can say is that if fishies want to fiddle with the sound of their system, they could do a whole lot worse than adding a Schiit Loki. Best 150 clams I’ve spent.

Joe

One of the best ways to stop fiddling with ones kit (ooo mother!) and getting into OCD about it's sound, is to listen to the music, and not the sound of the kit. I mean, when you go to a live concert, do you find yourself thinking maybe it would sound better if It was a different hall, if the acoustics were better etc? If you do, I'd suggest something is seriously wrong. Personally I can think of many more things pleasurable to fiddle with than the 'sound' of an HiFi....

Jonboi,

I tend to listen at low volumes, so the fiddling (adding a Loki) was to get the system to sound full-bodied at the levels I listen at.

Once set, I leave the controls alone unless the recoding is terribly thin or shrill.

Joe

10k is a lot to pay for any cable but most of the stuff involved in this hobby is overpriced. My two main cartridges are listed at £15k along with an expensive Turntable they provide the level of music I enjoy. However without a pair of £15 inline attenuators and a £500 regenerator none of my system would operate properly.

Some one running a fairly good and cheap system will have enjoyment as might someone with 10K to spend on a super system. Some one on here uses freebie interconnects, which I personally chuck out. My system is ok but with 10k to spend I would spend on some decent mono recording and a better mono cartridge.

Its supposed to be fun!!!!!!!!!
I got into mono when the Beatles mono box set came out. Got a second arm and mono catridge alone with a mono phono amp. So have sought out mono recordings. A orignal Buddy Holly album album That'll Be The Day astonished me with the recording He is in your room not the speakers. Now I have orignal Stones, Doors, Beach Boys , Kinks mono box set some jazz albums also. Mono is quieter it just sounds so right you can tell audio is taken seriously. Best upgrade I have ever made.

Not sure about a car analogy, my car is capable of 155mph a Ferrari and other road cars a lot more but its all nonsense because we have a speed limit which prohibits performance.

I would not spend £10k on a cable but to say that cables do not make a difference varies from my experience hence the circular arguments on here.

I got into mono when the Beatles mono box set came out. Got a second arm and mono catridge alone with a mono phono amp. So have sought out mono recordings. A orignal Buddy Holly album album That'll Be The Day astonished me with the recording He is in your room not the speakers. Now I have orignal Stones, Doors, Beach Boys , Kinks mono box set some jazz albums also. Mono is quieter it just sounds so right you can tell audio is taken seriously.

Absolutely right, some wonderful recordings exist and decent investment into phono stages and cartridges brings great rewards, enjoy the music!

advertisement

Back