advertisement

never heard Speakers (DCM Time Windows)

ian r

401's Nakman
The lovely named DCM Time Windows designed by the benign Mr Erbach who was rather

The TW1 or 2 or 3

I would like too get to know them if anyone has a pair

360350.jpg

I tried to buy a pair via a PF'r a year or two back in order to hear them at last but it was too far to to get down Bristol/Glos as I recall and my vendor wouldnt post

The Time Windows are omni-ish and because I have a soft spot for real Sonabs which were the first real speaker I ever met

My own first real speakers were Nightingale NM1's which only had the bass cab as the mid and tweet sat naked on top free of cab resonance to a large extent and were therfore airy and unsmeared. I liked them a lot but build quality was poor eve though support was good

Next came briks with their reflective ways. Now esl 57 which are airy and broadly cab resonance free-ish

I wonder if the Time Windows could somehow combine a bit of Sonab and esl

Coolest name ever

as the first poster I'll also claim a great interest in the large Tannoys of any sort - Ive only ever heard the smaller ones

Chance would be a fine thing to hear some really silly JBL or Cerwin Vega Altecs in sympathetic circumstances. Again I only ever heard small student sized ones

I look forward to hearing more open bafflers as they must have some of the quality I am used too

perhaps I should save some cash for the hifi show in March in case I can tick a few boxes

Hi Ian,

Not sure if it would help but you might want to send a PM to one of the mods to rename your thread to "DCM Time Windows: info needed" as it might attract more contributions.

FWIW, I loved them when I heard them decades ago every week as I stopped by our local shop. They reminded me very much of Bud Fried's loudspeakers with extremely clean and involving sound though I don't recall them sounding as open as electrostatics. They were certainly more open than anything I recall of the day in their price range however and the transmission line bass was very clean, dynamic and deeper sounding than the cabinet size would lead you to believe.

I believe John G. (username: John) used to sell them if you want to PM him for his thoughts.

regards,

dave

Hi Ian

I have a pair. Can't remember whether which of the series they are but the top and bottom is as your picture.

Dave thanks - cetainly got a result quickly and I hope Rodrat if u have a price in mind please PM this church mouse but maybe you live on the south coast as well.

Re the Mods renaming: I intended to kick start a wider wonderlust thread on curious speakers like Empire Grenadiers with their humungous Alnico and Time Windows that people might have considered too dorkish or wu wu at the time. I never got anywhere near TW but was intrigued by what people said

Grenadiers.png

courtesy of vintage knob

If a mod passes by perhaps the words 'what are your never heard speakers"

advertisement

Back