advertisement

Neurochrome 286 in the UK?

I have a 686 build that I completed earlier this year. It's fed with a my own pre-amp build based around Tom's buffer modules. Having had many high-end amps over the years I can say with confidence that this is easily the match of any of them and I can't really ask for more from an amp. That said, as Si mentioned above, Tom's amps don't add any real signature so if your system needs a certain characteristic to balance the system it's part of they may not be for you.

I would strongly recommend hearing them before purchase.

The hardest part of the build is the mechanical stuff. With the Neuro stuff the electrical part is just wiring it up, there's no "real" building to be done. Safety is important for the mains voltage stuff.
I would be very happy to help if you do want to build one (not sure if you visit Leeds much nowadays).

Many thanks for the offer. During the pandemic I've found it difficult to get to Leeds, but I'm hoping that is going to change from Autumn onwards. It sounds like I do need to hear a Neurochrome, as from what sq says above, there is the danger I would find it clinical. I don't believe in the 'ruthlessly revealing of poor recordings' concept - I think that is often a way of excusing a tonally impoverished sound. But if the Neurochrome is just wonderfully neutral and clear, as some have found, then that sounds promising.

I might as well try and give Tom a call whilst I'm in Canada and ask about the build, and pre-amp matching issues.

I wonder if anyone has used a 286 or 686 with a valve pre? The input impedance doesn't seem outrageously low, so I would have thought it should be relatively easy to drive. But I'm interested to know what people use.

I’ve tried numerous pre’s with the 686 (including one of Tom’s 8x2 preamps) and now just feed my benchmark DAC2 HGC straight in to it with no pre, sounds wonderful driving Monitor Audio PL300’s

Many thanks for the offer. During the pandemic I've found it difficult to get to Leeds, but I'm hoping that is going to change from Autumn onwards. It sounds like I do need to hear a Neurochrome, as from what sq says above, there is the danger I would find it clinical. I don't believe in the 'ruthlessly revealing of poor recordings' concept - I think that is often a way of excusing a tonally impoverished sound. But if the Neurochrome is just wonderfully neutral and clear, as some have found, then that sounds promising.

I might as well try and give Tom a call whilst I'm in Canada and ask about the build, and pre-amp matching issues.

I wonder if anyone has used a 286 or 686 with a valve pre? The input impedance doesn't seem outrageously low, so I would have thought it should be relatively easy to drive. But I'm interested to know what people use.

Some say that this amp is very similar sounding (it's a similar concept):
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/351643-my_ref-fremen-edition-gb-14th-gb.html

I built a pair using the "cost no object" components. Although I'm not convinced the expensive caps and resistors provide results that are any better than the industrial parts used in the Neuros.
Distortion is allegedly super low, so I would expect PSRR to be super high - like the Neuros. However I have yet to find an amp that doesn't sound different with different power supplies - which is at odds with the measured PSRR! Tom C does not agree with this - he goes by the numbers.
With hindsight I wish I had tried the My Ref with different power transformers, maybe they would have been stunning.

Overall the My Refs were pretty good, but not my favourite DIY amps. However (as often) I seem to be BIlly-no-mates because 14 GBs-worth of DIY'ers seem to think they are wonderful.
I don't think you will get "rusthlessly revealing" sound with these amps. Maybe "neutral and clear", but maybe lacking a bit of "joie de vivre".

Having heard your big Onion Research amps... I'm not sure that you will get an upgrade.

Try before you buy, if at all possible.

PS The other possibility to try a nested f/b chipamp is to buy a 2nd hand Arcam A19. However this would need the preamp stage (PGA2311 volume control) bypassing to hear what the power amp can really sound like.

I use mine with a valve pre - EAR 912. Works very well. (I always prefer some kind of valve component in the chain - seems to add a bit more "body" to the result - possibly some kind of inaccuracy but I like it.)
I don't experience a clinical result from the Neurochrome but, as ever, that kind of issue can be quite system/room dependent.

I wonder if anyone has used a 286 or 686 with a valve pre? The input impedance doesn't seem outrageously low, so I would have thought it should be relatively easy to drive. But I'm interested to know what people use.[/QUOTE]

Distortion is allegedly super low, so I would expect PSRR to be super high...

I don't see why high PSRR would have to follow. It's perfectly feasible to build a low distortion amp that NEEDS a super stiff (and expensive) PSU due to low PSRR.

Unless I've missed your point (or some important context), which is eminently possible.

BugBear

I don't see why high PSRR would have to follow. It's perfectly feasible to build a low distortion amp that NEEDS a super stiff (and expensive) PSU due to low PSRR.

Unless I've missed your point (or some important context), which is eminently possible.

BugBear

Masses of feedback tends to give you both.

I wonder if anyone has used a 286 or 686 with a valve pre?
I've got a Parallel 86 which I have previously used with a World Designs Pre 3 and now with a DIY line stage using a 6SN7 into Sowter 1366 transformers to give a balanced output. Both of these were fine with a 6m interconnect from pre to power.

The standard input impedance for the Neurochrome amps is 48kohm, so any sensible design should be fine.

Anyone on here built the 'LM3886 DONE RIGHT' boards up? Anyone heard them? Or have some sort of informed opinion?

The minimalism of the design appeals, as does the ability to populate the boards myself by way of emptying out some of the parts-drawers a bit, and (up-to) 68W/11A would be plenty enough for my speakers.

All his amps sound similar. Ie nothing.

One man's ultra revealing is another's wide bandwidth zero distortion. Tom's amps are certainly this. Its all about perspective I guess.

If you want pipe n slippers they ain't that, just a totally clear window onto the recording

advertisement

Back