1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Neurochrome 286 in the UK?

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by bugbear, Sep 27, 2019.

1. bugbear

bugbear pfm Member

Bigman80 likes this.
  2. BLACKMASS

BLACKMASS pfm Member

@sq225917 @Bigman80

Alan 'Firebottle' and Oliver Bigman80 can be found on Art of Sound Forum. Oliver owns the 686.

Bigman80 likes this.
  3. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Mrdog and I run bridged 86p's as monoblocks. That's a 486 for want of a like nomenclature. Gingermkettle runs a pair of 86p which is effectively a 286, but done with a stereo channel chip both channels in parallel.

Just buy some, easy build, great support from tom. If they do all the power you want and drive low enough load for your speakers it doesnt get better.

Only the benchmark amp and ncore measure better, and the ncore doesnt sound as good imo.

4. gingermrkettle

gingermrkettle Deep vein trombonist

Yep, a stereo Parallel-86 here (effectively the forerunner to the 286). Does valve amp stuff like tonal colour and microdynamics brilliantly, better than pretty much any other solid state amp I have heard, but with transparency and a lack of colouration/speaker FR interaction. Really good with ESL63s.

5. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

And 989's.

6. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

7. bugbear

bugbear pfm Member

I would love to head what Tom has to say about an amp that measured better but performed worse!

BugBear

8. sq225917

I assume he'd be happy to take another sale.

Bigman80 likes this.
  9. Bigman80

Bigman80 Member

Hi,

I have a 686, best hifi investment I have made, bar none.

The 286 kit is very simple except for knocking up the wires and plugs but that only because they are a bit fiddly, all the important stuff is easy enough

No regrets from me. I've just managed to source a matching Neurochrome preamp too.

If you are over the West Midlands area, let me know. You're welcome to a listen.

bugbear and BLACKMASS like this.
  10. bugbear

bugbear pfm Member

A) Thank you! :)
    B) I live in Norfolk :(

BugBear

Bigman80 likes this.
  11. sq225917

Theres a bake off in Sheffield on the 20th, my mod86ps will be playing at some point.

12. Bigman80

Bigman80 Member

Ah, not to worry. If you do find yourself in the Midlands, just drop me a message.

I can get a 286 here too so you can hear both.

bugbear likes this.
  13. bugbear

bugbear pfm Member

I've been to the Black Country museum (and Blists Hill) a coupla' times, but it's a hell of a trip. I tend to stay for a few days (in Bridgnorth, which is lovely)

BugBear

14. Bigman80

Bigman80 Member

Bridgenorth isnt all that far from me. about 9 miles. Its a beautiful place on a sunny day.

15. bugbear

bugbear pfm Member

And the high street bakery does the most delicious scones!

Quick google:

Catherine's Bakery; 13 High St, Bridgnorth WV16 4DB

BugBear

Bigman80 likes this.