advertisement

Neumann KH310

jagdesign

pfm Member
Is anyone using the KH310’s in a ‘hi-fi’ as opposed to nearfield ‘studio’ type arrangement?

My current listening position is about 2.5m from my current ATC SCM19A’s. I love the ATCs but considering a change as our little one is getting close to being mobile now, so something robust and off the floor, is appealing.

I’ve twice had a weeks home trial of the 310s. They’re fine at 2.5m. DIP switches at the back allow for some room tuning. Worth getting at ear level though so you’d need to choose stands carefully to avoid anything that might create problems with a newly mobile child. K&M make some good stands.

Is anyone using the KH310’s in a ‘hi-fi’ as opposed to nearfield ‘studio’ type arrangement?

My current listening position is about 2.5m from my current ATC SCM19A’s. I love the ATCs but considering a change as our little one is getting close to being mobile now, so something robust and off the floor, is appealing.
Deffo not telling you how to parent, but my two grew up with large floor standing speakers. Just as they knew not to touch the fire, they knew that Daddy's hifi was fragile. Never had a problem, never needed to shout. They both loved Van Halen.

@Darren I hear you and it could all be fine - however my hi-fi is in the lounge, right next to his play mat/area, and even with the best behaviour and intentions, I'd be very surprised if accidents don't happen! There are probably some ways that I could better protect the vulnerable areas - the Neumann's intrigue me though :)

@Darren I hear you and it could all be fine - however my hi-fi is in the lounge, right next to his play mat/area, and even with the best behaviour and intentions, I'd be very surprised if accidents don't happen! There are probably some ways that I could better protect the vulnerable areas - the Neumann's intrigue me though :)
I can understand any man needing to scratch an itch. Don't forget to get the matching subs!

I will just mention very good reports on the Event Opel's on another forum, they are pricier than the Neumann's, but do come up now and again for sale at £1k+
If you do go with the Neumann's I hope they work and sound good in your room

Thanks Andy, d'you mind me asking who offered you a home dem? That would certainly be useful.
KMR Audio and Thomann.de. Thomann supply anything on a 30 day trial, and pay for the return. But I should tell you I ended up with ATC SCM25As. The 310s are good, but there’s nothing like ATC.

@AndyU Good to know on all fronts. We're planning to move at some point, and 50As are the ultimate goal, but I'm interested to see if the 310s can act as a child-friendly stepping stone! I'm not surprised that the 25As beat the Neumann's, they should be better at over double the price!

@AndyU Good to know on all fronts. We're planning to move at some point, and 50As are the ultimate goal, but I'm interested to see if the 310s can act as a child-friendly stepping stone! I'm not surprised that the 25As beat the Neumann's, they should be better at over double the price!
My story is: Had SCM100ASLs for years. Wonderful. Decided to sell everything and move to abroad. Needed some lighter, more portable speakers. Tried lots, including 310s. Thought meh, could live with them right enough, but my music just wasn’t my music. Just didn’t deliver ATC midrange joy, let alone bass or power handling. Bought some SCM25As, despite cost and weight. Lovely. Music. Ended up abroad. Got stable. Missed 100s. Bought some SCM50ASLTs. Smashing. Hankering for some 150s, though need a suitable home for them first. Nothing wrong with 310s, perfectly decent, neutral, competent speakers. And they do have childproof grilles. And they are good value. They just ain’t ATCs. When the opportunity and cash arrives, you won’t regret buying 50s. And kid would need to be stronger than Arnie to knock the 50 ASLTs over.

Really interesting @AndyU, the ATC sound is pretty addictive (IMO) and the 19's will be a tough act to follow.

I've got a home dem booked for next week, will update accordingly!

Something like this maybe? It's quite child proof :D

Pi7Ghrn.jpg

Something like this maybe? It's quite child proof :D

Pi7Ghrn.jpg
@jagdesign - igors solution is very interesting, and gives you a possible upgrade path if you go with the 310s, especially as Neumann have some clever room correction options with the KH750. Trying stuff out at home is the way to go. Proaudioeurope aka funkyjunk were good ATC dealers for me and I think they do Neumann too.

@igor_xxxx yep that's what I'm talking about, how do you find them with and without the subs?

@AndyU that's good to know RE the DSP, would maybe delay the SCM50 hankering :D. Funnily enough, Funkyjunk are sorting the home dem!

oh dear, they are bigger ATC fanboys than I am, you are doomed! Don’t mention you are thinking of some!

Haha, maybe the 50s will arrive sooner than I initially thought ;)

@alanbeeb I don't think they're designed to be (the tweeter waveguide is elliptical rather than circular), but I'm going to give it a go as they'll take up less space in this orientation.

Can the KH310s be used in vertical orientation?

You could, but then the vertical dispersion would be wide and the horizontal dispersion narrow which is not usually what you want. The next speaker up the range, the KH420, has the midrange and tweeter mounted on a plate which can be rotated through 90 degrees thus allowing the speaker to be used on its side or vertically, but the 310s are sideways only. They have a baby brother, the KH120s which are a nice 2 way, and an even smaller baby brother the KH80s, which have a DSP crossover and fancy DSP room tuning. My wife has a pair for her electric piano.
https://en-de.neumann.com/kh-420

@igor_xxxx yep that's what I'm talking about, how do you find them with and without the subs?

I would say that I was perfectly happy with them without the subs (3 years), but the subs made them IMHO of course, a more “complete” speaker.They are not “a must have”, but now that I have them, I would not like to be without them, and this is very easy to confirm, it’s just a press of the button in the Neumann control software.

I would say, they are a great upgrade path IF one desires to pursue.They made the difference between listening to and feeling Mingus’ double bass :)

advertisement

Back