advertisement

Neumann KH 310 A and dual subwoofers ?

They are here, and they sound mighty impressive :)

I can’t believe how much I was missing until now.

More impressions will follow...

0-B6-AB108-6776-4-F0-B-839-E-9-F6516-CF87-A2.jpg

CFA5-C9-F9-32-B7-4-FDD-AF7-D-F3-C946-F84-C94.jpg

Looking good igor :cool:

Please also try and use this track Michele with one L by Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah to help dial in your sub/sat system (I've successfully used this track over the last week to help dial in Peachtree Audio's nova500/JL Audio's CR-1/ATC SCM19 v2/JL Audio's Gotham v2 crossed over at 80Hz resulting in a sharp, tight fisted, fast and punchy sub bass :))

Have dual monolith+ with my Atc’s . All running off shd minidsp . 2nd sub only arrived yesterday and galloped through the setup , so will probably revisit. Sounds pretty good even so. Final episode of stranger things with youngest last night was rocking

They are here, and they sound mighty impressive :)

I can’t believe how much I was missing until now.

More impressions will follow...

CFA5-C9-F9-32-B7-4-FDD-AF7-D-F3-C946-F84-C94.jpg

The right speaker is extremely close to the side wall and this should make its tonal balance quite different. Have you tried putting the tweeter & mid on the inside (swapping L & R speakers)?

Just added 2 subs myself. Sealed, 10” drivers, 27L, v heavy and well braced cabinets. Full dsp capabilities, with ncore amps. High passed the mains @80hz, and sounding very good so far. A bit more work to do on integration when I get the time, using them destructively to cancel out room modes etc. Has taken a bit of effort, but well worth it

The right speaker is extremely close to the side wall and this should make its tonal balance quite different. Have you tried putting the tweeter & mid on the inside (swapping L & R speakers)?

Tuga, it’s not really visible from the picture, but that is a chimney and the front of the right speaker is almost flush with the chimney.I have some space after the chimney so it’s not the actual corner of the room.

At the moment I have adjusted the treble, low mid and low end on the Neumanns to compensate for this and to me it sound great.For now I am getting used to the change, and then I fire up the Umik1 to make final adjustments.

By ear, at the moment, this is the best sound that I ever heard in my room (and much more) :)

I can’t hear the subwoofers, but I damn miss them when I turn them off.

It was really worth the “risk” and thanks to everyone for the contributions :)

Tuga, it’s not really visible from the picture, but that is a chimney and the front of the right speaker is almost flush with the chimney.I have some space after the chimney so it’s not the actual corner of the room.

At the moment I have adjusted the treble, low mid and low end on the Neumanns to compensate for this and to me it sound great.For now I am getting used to the change, and then I fire up the Umik1 to make final adjustments.

By ear, at the moment, this is the best sound that I ever heard in my room (and much more) :)

I can’t hear the subwoofers, but I damn miss them when I turn them off.

It was really worth the “risk” and thanks to everyone for the contributions :)

Your positioning of the subs with the main speakers is going to make integration a lot better for you. This will sound like a pair of large 4 way speakers :)

How are you getting on with the subs now you’ve had more time with them?

Hi Matt,

Sorry for the short answer, I am on a holiday this week and the internet connection is terrible.I will post a better feedback this week.

In short, the 2 subs are the best audio wise decision that I’ve made in my life :)

Up until few weeks ago, I was playing with the location of the subs/monitors, and for now they are integrated “by ear”, to sound as I like, and to remove some peaks around the room (not in the listening position).

The plan for the following few weeks is to continue with the integration, take measurements and make some fine tunings via DSP or some other way.

What I would really like is for Neumann to unlock the internal DSP access via the application, but this is still under “development” and at the moment it can only be used together with the KH80 DSP monitors.This will be the final adjustment - I hope.

In short: The music sounds real and has a “body” to it, finally I have a feeling that I am feeling the ambient in the recording, and having real tight low end is a revelation.The best part is that sometimes I have to check if the subs are turned on, but when the recording has a real low end, you sure feel it, without drawing any unwanted attention.

The negative effect is that now some popular commercial releases sound too bloated and terribly compressed in the low end, but luckily this is not a problem with Davies, Coltrane and Kraftwerk :)

Ok, so it was not so short replay after all :)

Thanks for the reply, it sounds like they are working out very well for you. Once you get the mic setup and spend some time tweaking, you’ll be in for another treat similar to the initial one as everything will gel together perfectly.

I’m really liking the idea of these! They look superb and obviously negate all the timing issues one associates with subs positioned away from the speakers. I bet that is a superb speaker system.

Looks like Neumann were really working on adjusting the Neumann.control since I asked them few weeks ago.

Finally there is the option to control the KH750 and KH310a monitors via the internal DSP of the subs.That is the good news, the bad news is that at the moment the app is limited to one sub, even though in the manual for the KH750 is explained that several subs can be used/configured.I am waiting for a feedback from Neumann when/how this will be addressed.

At the moment I am running some tests with 2 separate “zones”, where each channel is separately defined and it sounds quite good.Of course this is inconvenient, but hopefully I will not have to use it for to long.I let Neumann’s algorithm to make the DSP correction according to the input data that I gave.Using data from REW will be the next step.

All acoustic controls are left flat on the monitors and the DSP in the subs is making all the adjustments.Even though it’s too early, I can see/hear/feel the potential in this.I am especially liking the volume control.

Regarding the sound quality, I think that even with the initial settings, the subs (system) are sounding better then before.I will need some time to play with this, just Roon keeps me busy at the moment :)

Will be back :)

3-D06-AD1-F-62-BA-4-ACA-9-DE9-15-AC768-FB137.png

Quick consult before I call it a day and quit playing with my toys :)

It’s been weeks since I am listening to the 750s and slightly tweaking them to my taste.My room is quite natural sounding, but I have a problem with the symmetry due to the chimney next to the right speaker and this took the most time to address and balance the sound between the 2 woofers/monitors.

I used my ears up until one point, and then did the final EQ using REW and the DSP in the subs.

At the moment this is the best sound that I managed to achieve in my room and I really don’t know if there is anything else left* to try - hence my post :)

* I still have to be careful with the positioning (small toddler) and the maximum number of acoustical panels is reached, I am not allowed any more :)

I don’t know any other way for you to get a feeling of the sound, besides a REW plot, so here it is.If something else is needed, let me know.

I “see” some problematic areas, but to be honest I don’t know how to fix them, or if it’s even worth it.

DDDBE498-5162-4-C05-82-A3-21-FC0-CDE7-DFD.png

PS: Since I got the subs, my baby girl can’t stop dancing to Kraftwerk, so thanks to the poster who advised that a child should grow up with proper low end information :)

Well, my monologue has come to an end and this would be the last post for this thread :)

I believe I managed to get the integration between the subs,monitors and the room as good as possible with the real life limitations (wife,kid,placement and etc.)

There was only one thing bugging me in the back of my mind, and that was the placement of the right speaker and the stereo image.It was good with some EQ, but somehow I was still not convinced.

So I decided to rotate the monitors with the midrange on the inwards side, and now I have much stable center image and soundstage.It's a tiny degree smaller soundstage, but sounds much more convincing.I had to do some EQ in the subs due to this, but now everything is dialed in and I am officially done :)

53080408-EECB-42-FC-A6-DD-EB4-FA9-E4-AB64.jpg

1708352-C-4-DFF-429-A-A316-29-C2-FCF2-B4-EC.jpg

Thanks Igor, that looks like a very sensible, flexible, good value solution. And one you could progress towards by starting with the 310s then adding subs as your finances allowed.

Thanks @AndyU .

I really think that for my room size, the 310's were perfectly adequate and I could've stayed only with them (if I was smart, which I am not), but the subs took the sound to the next level, not only in the low frequencies.Since the honeymoon period with the subs is over, I dialed them back a little more and they just enhance the low end, without drawing attention to them.I have to admit, it was fun running them with the gain a bit higher :)

For a long time I had the itch to go to ATC 50's or MEG 901, and although they are higher quality speakers, now I feel extremely satisfied, and the Neumann combo will stay for a long time.It does help that ATC have crazy prices where I am located.

What is the basis for considering them to be higher quality speakers?

Duh, it's obvious, they are more expensive :)

OK, joking aside, it's been a few years since the last time I heard the ATC and MEG, but I remember that I was mostly impressed with them.This was some time ago, so my memory for sure is playing games with me, but I have no way to compare them now (with the subs included).Maybe my opinion will change if I listen to them now, who knows.What I know is that I am finally satisfied.

I think they are all really good speakers and it's a matter of personal/budget preference.I know in which direction I went.

I honestly don't have a good answer to your question :(

advertisement

Back