advertisement

neil young - home grown

Neil P

pfm Member
Hey folks, does anyone have this on CD? I want to pick your brains about the first 30 seconds of the CD! Thanks

I have it on 2 1/2 formats - LP, CD, and the HDCD* included with the NYA Vol 2 set. What's the question?

*I do not have HDCD playback capability.

At the start it sounds like there is another tune being played faintly in the background... but doesn't seem quite in time. Any ideas what it is? Someone absentmindedly strumming in the background of the studio? Or has the tape been reused and you can hear the previous recording "underneath"?

At the start it sounds like there is another tune being played faintly in the background... but doesn't seem quite in time. Any ideas what it is? Someone absentmindedly strumming in the background of the studio? Or has the tape been reused and you can hear the previous recording "underneath"?

I'll check it out when I get home from work, in five or six hours.

I'll check it out when I get home from work, in five or six hours.

Thank you, no hurry. I listened to the CD once on a nice relaxed budget amp (creek 2040), and didn't hear the "other" tune at the start. I then switched to my new (and very revealing) allegri plus. It really removed layers and the extra detail was quite startling.

Temporal ones, it would seem... maybe you’ve found an escape route for engineers who accidentally erase the wrong track.

I wasn't sure if even technically possible (I have no knowledge of tape recording whatsoever!) ... so was just thinking aloud :)

I don't hear anything that doesn't seem deliberate.

The jerk at the beginning sounds like someone pushed "Play" on a tape deck and it took a few seconds to stabilize, and I assume that's also what Young wanted.

It’s a pretty ordinary album, the spoken word track is absolute dreck. I do sometimes think that Neil Young fans are even more gullible than Dylan’s.

I can hear a bit of faint “other track” at the start. Agree with Woodface that this isn’t the best of Neil! Plenty of MUCH better stuff in Archives 2 - Dume and Look out for my love for example.

advertisement

Back