advertisement

Need some recommendations to get my system rocking!

francis

Hey there,
Seems I've finally reached a satisfying combination in terms of my hifi, now composed of the following:

B&W N803s
Naim NAC102 + Hicap + NAPSC
NAP180
Meridian 506.20

Some of my CDs sound awesome on the new setup, and others pretty mediocre, so I'm after some good recommendations for stuff to go out and buy as I'm always overwhelmed by new unheard of names whenever I go to a music shop. To give you a taste for the kind of stuff I'm in to here's what I've been playing recently:

Everything but the girl - various
Nightmares on wax - Carboot soul
Sondre Lerche - Faces Down (random buy, but very good!)
Bushix - Don't mind if I do (another good random)
Mint Royale - Dancehall places
Counting Crows - August and everything after
Orbital - Works 19?? - 2002
Morcheeba - Charango
Doves - The last broadcast
+ a rather limited selection of jazz&classical stuff, mainly Vivaldi

To be honest I've got a pretty broad music taste, and anything that sounds great would probably be of interest, excluding the usual chart drivel & any of that heavy metal stuff!

Many thanks!!
Regards,
Francis

On the basis that you like Carboot Soul, you would almost certainly like Cold Water Music by Aim.

A really wonderful (and well recorded) album you should grab is One by NoMeansNo.

Thunderous punk rock power trio 20 years in the business. Smart, lean, focused, muscular, adventurous, great playing, great songwriting.

As well as the general music fan, it's a must have for bassists and Minutemen fans, though NMN are beefier and more expansive than that band.

Underworld - Beaucoup Fish.... In fact, just about anything by Underworld.

Armin van Buuren - Top quality trance albums: A State of Trance, Basic Instinctm, In Motion, Transparence; Forget MOS crap, this is far better quality.

Infected Mushroom - Especially BP Empire and The Gathering

Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger, Twisted, and In Dub are my favourites.

Astral Projection - Another World, not bad, not great, but lively.

Aphex Twin - Classics, this is an album that surprised me recently. Not for the faint of heart!!

Just a few to get you going from the world of electronica.

Biify Clyro. Try streaming their new album as a taster
Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals Live from Mars if you can find a copy. Real live dynamics

Some of my CDs sound awesome on the new setup, and others pretty mediocre,

My guess is that the c.d's that sound mediocre will sound mediocre on any system. ?

What is it that makes the c.d's sound poor?

? Sounds thin, little bass or no wide soundstage?

My guess is that the c.d's that sound mediocre will sound mediocre on any system. ?

What is it that makes the c.d's sound poor?

? Sounds thin, little bass or no wide soundstage?

I'll send around the DeLorean to take your post back to 2003, hopefully you'll get a reply :D

I'll send around the DeLorean to take your post back to 2003, hopefully you'll get a reply :D

I have tried, but I do not understand your comment?

What is significant about 2003?

For the OP, try Clap! Clap! - sounds great in digital or vinyl format.

The post 2 prior to yours was from 2003.

Now I want to know exactly when pfm was born so I can check if that was the ultimate thread resurrection.

advertisement

Back