advertisement

Need fast speakers

I don't doubt you, I doubt that you have listened to the SHL5+. I think you only have listened to the SHL5.;)

... Port tuned to 33Hz will be an absolute disaster in my room where the main room mode is, guess what... 33Hz!
I keep wondering about the relationship between port tuning and room nodes when I see it (my apologies for picking on this particular instance).

Down at 33 Hz, doesn't audio propagate omnidirectionally from all origins? If so, I don't see how room interaction depends on whether the audio comes from a port or from a driver. Doesn't the room merely respond to the vector sum of the audio from the port and the driver and not the specific characteristic of the source? Maybe I have got something wrong in my thinking. I'm happy to be corrected if a port interacts in some different way I don't understand.

And on top of that you feel offended by other opinions :rolleyes:
My advise, calm down and take a rest, its not worth it.

No, I don't feel offended by other people opinion only by claims like that:
Funny how some people can be upset by others opinion or experience not matching their own, sometime religious believe.

I keep wondering about the relationship between port tuning and room nodes when I see it (my apologies for picking on this particular instance).

Down at 33 Hz, doesn't audio propagate omnidirectionally from all origins? If so, I don't see how room interaction depends on whether the audio comes from a port or from a driver. Doesn't the room merely respond to the vector sum of the audio from the port and the driver and not the specific characteristic of the source? Maybe I have got something wrong in my thinking. I'm happy to be corrected if a port interacts in some different way I don't understand.

It's about energy storage...
A port stores energy and releases it later, like a rule that's twanged on a desk. The sound goes on after the impetus has stopped.
Standing waves (in a room) also store energy and release it later. I.e the sound goes on after the impetus has stopped.

Get these two resonant frequencies to coincide and the "boom" will be intolerable.

Some recent speakers of mine during the last couple of years and my impressions of 'speed';

QuadS2 ... medium fast/fast
QuadL11 Classic ... medium fast
Kef LS50 Meta Wireless ... fast slow/medium fast
B&W Formation Duo ... fast slow/medium fast
Stirling LS3/6 Reference ... slow/fast slow
Mission 752 Freedom ... medium fast/fast

That is all obviously subjective and pretty pointless :)

A port stores energy and releases it later, like a rule that's twanged on a desk. The sound goes on after the impetus has stopped.
Standing waves (in a room) also store energy and release it later. I.e the sound goes on after the impetus has stopped.

Get these two resonant frequencies to coincide and the "boom" will be intolerable.
I think you've summed that up nicely..

My view is its nothing to do with loudspeaker size, I've heard 15" drivers boom in large well made ported boxes and not boom in well implemented boxes and baffles.
Nearly all commercial smaller longthrow drivers are in ported cabinets, so it's easy to wrongly generalise.

I've heard some speakers boom in my room, and others don't so I'm loathe to blame the room.

I agree and think it's related to the delay, designs vary along with the tuning and port output.

There must be a frequency point where the positive wave from the loudspeaker cone continues as the positive wave from the port joins the end of it, and the same on the the negative side, causing irregularities in the sound ? This would create another lower frequency, as they combine ?

Some motorcycles produce those effects. I loved the boom of a ducati twin, clearly 2 bangs per rev, but close firing order and the exhaust causing a delay (as does a port) and combine into a one note boom (as 2 bangs become a boom)

Isn't that the same thing ?

Funny how some people can be upset by others opinion or experience not matching their own, sometime religious believe.

Buddy, SHL5 is very different from SHL5+.The Non-plus sounds horrendous in the bass in comparison to +. And I understand that you only have experience with the non-plus, not the Plus.

Sketching a model for this still does not make sense to me but I will persist and see if I can get it to make sense. I am interested in understanding the point because the port tuning frequency of my loudspeakers is very close to my room's lowest frequency mode. Boom? Not even a hint (and REW agrees with my ears), let alone intolerable. If it's a rule then I have to ask why it seems to not work here.

Some recent speakers of mine during the last couple of years and my impressions of 'speed';

QuadS2 ... medium fast/fast
QuadL11 Classic ... medium fast
Kef LS50 Meta Wireless ... fast slow/medium fast
B&W Formation Duo ... fast slow/medium fast
Stirling LS3/6 Reference ... slow/fast slow
Mission 752 Freedom ... medium fast/fast

That is all obviously subjective and pretty pointless :)
You said it. What does this even mean?

8" woofers are toys. they can never give the foundation music needs without dual subs. and 8'' plus dual subs is the opposite of a fast high efficiency horn system, or big tannoy or big jbl...

Someone better notify HARBETH, PROAC, SPENDOR, ROGERS, GRAHAM, ATC, QUAD, B&W, KEF, LINN, NAIM, AUDIO NOTE, MONITOR AUDIO, REGA RESEARCH, DYNAUDIO, DALI, JAMO, B&O, CANTON, MAGNAT, KHARMA, PHILIPS, FOCAL, CABASSE, YAMAHA, SONY, DENON, PIONEER, SANSUI, TECHNICS, TOTEM, KLIPSCH, AVALON, NHT, POLK, KLH, LEGACY, WILSON, (even) JBL and countless other highly esteemed international loudspeaker manufacturers who - at one time or another - have all carefully incorporated one or more 8" woofers into their award-winning speaker designs...

They've all been making woofers for children!

Who knew?

Laughable.

I know these forums are a place for opinions, but sadly, IMHO this once promising thread left the Kingdom of Sanity and Maturity from the above post onwards. A shame.

[Apologies if I left out your favourite speaker manufacturer. No slight intended... :D]

I know these forums are a place for opinions, but sadly, IMHO this once promising thread left the Kingdom of Sanity and Maturity from the above post onwards. A shame.

I had to look this up as not my native language.
Sound like something from the 18th. century and complete nonsens in a speaker discussion..

advertisement

Back