advertisement

need a new dog - can I travel to collect one?

1964meb

pfm Member
Hi Folks

We lost Lily, our beloved Jack Russell Terrier on 5th Jan. She had been ill and naturally she was "a very good dog".

We are now looking for a replacement, but no a pup - have you seen the silly prices! I could renew and upgrade my DV20 (or car) for that sort of money.

The question is are we allowed to travel to collect the new dog? We are in S Notts and possible dogs are up to and over 200 miles away

Any clarification is welcome.

Thanks

Mike

There's some guidance on the Kennel Club web site. My take on the advice there is that the breeder should deliver the pups to their new homes. I can't imagine many breeders being happy about driving all around the UK to deliver their pups!. It does go on to mention that if the pup's welfare requires it, then the new owner may collect from the breeder.

Plenty of rescue centres around Mike, speak to them? Maybe volunteer a few hours walkies locally if you can so you know what your getting?
I spoke to a fella the other day, £3.8k for Labrador puppy, he’d have swapped for our well behaved rescue

The rescue centres have nothing. Everybody and his mate thought that getting a pet was a great idea when lockdown one happened. Prices soared. Now the morons realise that a pet is for life and they want their money back with interest, so very very few are making their way to recsue/rehoming centres.

Given that about every second person doing our local round-the-reservoir walk has had a puppy over the past few months, I am not surprised at the numbers being bred, bought and now finding themselves surplus to requirements.

This has been all over the news for the past few weeks........................

“Need” a new dog - hmmm. Not an essential purchase methinks. But then again neither is the vast majority of stuff being sold by those places still open.

To the OP, I see you are in the Midlands. Two big ifs: if you’d consider a greyhound or lurcher and if Bristol isn’t too far then have a look at Bristol DAWG, Dog Action Welfare Group. They are a charity run by volunteers and a couple of pals (who live like me near Bristol) have both adopted lurchers through DAWG. Their dogs are absolutely lovely and so delighted to have found homes where they are loved and treated so well.

Oh just saw that Clive. Lurcher / greyhounds are too big. We have afirend who rehouses greyhounds vv close to here but our place is not for such beasts! Thanks for the thought though.

TBH, I can't se that the government advice is confusing. STAY AT HOME; what exactly is confusing about that? I seem to be managing it.
The government is discouraging (note, not banning) non-essential travel. So it’s not clear that non-essential travel would actually be against the rules, even if it is not advised. But the other consideration is that the OP and their family has just lost their dog (and OP, my best wishes, it’s an awful thing), and getting a new dog will surely help deal with the loss. We’ve heard an awful lot about coping with loss, and the importance of looking after your mental health during this crisis, so there’s an arguable case to be made that this journey could be essential, in terms of maintaining good mental health.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not playing down the issue of mental health, some of my family have suffered as much as any others, but this weak useless government is failing miserably in controlling this virus, so it's up to us to do the sensible thing.

advertisement

Back