advertisement

Neck straps: what are you using?

One consideration for Olympus owners: there is a history of tripod mount failure with some models.

This is worth thinking about if you intend attaching a strap to the tripod mount.

Similar with Fuji - notably X-T2/X-Pro2 where the threaded mount (which sits behind the bottom plate) is only held in with 2 screws. They have a habit of falling out, at which point the threaded portion can in some cases fall back into the body and has been known to damage the main board. My X-T2 lost a screw and I was shocked at how loose the mount became. Fuji sent me a pair of screws (for free, I should say) so I used nail varnish as a gentle threadlock. Loctite is a bit OTT for these tiny screws.

The X-Pro1 and X-H1 have a much more substantial 4-screw system.

Loctite is a bit OTT for these tiny screws

Nail varnish is a good choice. Having seen the effect of cyanoacrylate fumes on some plastics I am careful about what I use on my cameras.

I suppose it makes sense to check the screws from time to time. Our laptop is missing a screw, when I noticed this I found most of screws holding the back on were slack.

Nail varnish is a good choice. Having seen the effect of cyanoacrylate fumes on some plastics I am careful about what I use on my cameras.

I suppose it makes sense to check the screws from time to time. Our laptop is missing a screw, when I noticed this I found most of screws holding the back on were slack.

Indeed - us woodwind players use nail varnish to hold key shaft screws in place. It's obviously a very mild adhesive to prevent movement but offers little resistance to the turn of a screwdriver.

I've just replaced a Fuji X-T1 with a much heavier Canon 6D, EVF just doesn't work for me.

How do you like the 6D? I was very fond of mine before the weight made me go the other way to Fuji (Pro2 - I don't like the EVF either)

How do you like the 6D? I was very fond of mine before the weight made me go the other way to Fuji (Pro2 - I don't like the EVF either)

I have hardly used it, weather's not cooperating at the moment. It is a lot heavier than the X-T1.
May take it out this afternoon for a spin now that the sun has finally made an appearance.

I have hardly used it, weather's not cooperating at the moment. It is a lot heavier than the X-T1.
May take it out this afternoon for a spin now that the sun has finally made an appearance.

It's very light for an SLR though and the low light autofocus is extremely impressive for the time...

I took the 6D out today for a 2h walk. I used my Focus F1 slide strap which looks like the photo below (except for the colourful logo which I ripped off).
The camera felt very light with the f2.8/40mm pancake but I don't like the rubber eye piece rubbing against my thigh when walking.
I am definitely going for a neck strap, trying to decide between the OpTech Pro and the Manfrotto Pro Light. I like it that the OpTech neck pad is curved but looks a bit too wide comparatively for my taste. Might order one from Amazon and return it if it doesn't feel right...

(lots of links to help PFM)

51H7FiZA3HL._AC_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Peak Design slide, can’t beet it, a mate tried the black rapid but his D1x canon gel off into a rock pool, ouch!!

I find myself just carrying my 5D3 by the body or battery pack grip most of the time. I was at Orford Ness for just over five hours today with battery pack and 70-200 2.8 is most of the time… I little weary towards the end! Only six and a half miles.

I use Black Rapid straps, far more liberating than neck straps. I started with the dual - so bandolero style I'd have a D3 on either hip (one with 70-200, one with 24-70). I've found that if just shooting with one body, I'm happier with the single version (no time wasted reconfiguring the dual), so use that. It's far more secure than slinging a D4 over my shoulder, and distributes the weight better.

The D3 and D4/s straps are very nice, though.

I use a Black Rapid Sport with my D850 when I'm out in rough terrain or using the 200-500 or 70-200. Any other lenses its usually just in my hand or on a tripod. Never had any issues with the Black Rapid and its very comfortable.

Optech Classic Pro, with loops for the heavy stuff, DSLRs etc, easy to remove and connect the short loops when on a tripod, stops a strap flapping about when breezy. Also add the Safe-It velcro bits to the Optech straps (Just in case!) And leather 1901FotoGrafi for Fuji X-Pro (matches better, and can be purchased in different lengths and styles)

advertisement

Back